• +

58 Replies - 4895 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2012 - 01:50 PM Rate Topic: -----

#16 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A Question about an Idea I have about a new feature for video games

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

Well.. rock on.. I know where you want to go, but I am unsure if the tech's there to do it.. and trying to wedge a cut down version of blender as the stylest.. well we'll see. I would enjoy reading any design docs you have on it.

You also might want to investigate Redken's hair cutting program.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

The idea isn't a bad one, but that does seem to have a lot over overhead potential, not to mention that there is probably very little chance that you'll see smaller details like that in most video games. A possibility for fighting games, yes, because you are constantly staring at a profile of your character. I don't think it would work so well for 3D games, but 2D for sure (and I include the semi-3D Street Fighter as a 2D fighting game).

As someone has said, in RPGs and such, you slap on a helmet and hardly ever see the hairstyles. In WoW, I keep the helmet display off, so I never see the helmet, but I rarely zoom in close enough to my character to see the eyes, nose, mouth... I was able to scale all that on the Sims and aside from main character creation, I rarely looked that closely. It just seems like a lot of extra detail and freedom that even the people who take the time to customize won't really take the time to appreciate.

Coupled with the whole time vs. budget issue, I don't think you're really going to see this in a game anytime soon. A game company has to have a really polished project and then fit in something like this. I would be pissed off if a game looked really good and let me customize everything and then sucked when it came to gameplay.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

View PostStormKat33, on 27 June 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

I have a question about a feature for not only computers but also console games.

Games that feature Character Creation. I don't remember the name of the boxing game right off hand but it had a character creation feature that allowed you to use the Scaling box. You could scale the boxers head, torso, and eyes to any size.

Well, here's the question. What do you all think about a feature called Barber Shop Mode?

It's a feature during character creation that you can use a 3D scissor that can clip at the vertices(since I'm familiar with Blender and Auto Desk) of the hairs and delete the strands and you don't want. You can then use another feature that will allow you to scale to make the hair spiky and choose the position of the hair? It would come with the Color Shader box so you can scale to anykind of color you want. You could also choose from some presets of straight, loose curls, tight curls, wavy,and different kinds of Afros? The same can be done to the rest of the characters body.

It's an interesting idea. And inspite of a lot of the negative reaction, the look of a character can be very important to a lot of players. I know if I don't like the look of the characters, if they don't feel heroic or intersting, it greatly increases the chance that I won't pay for the game or play it. If I don't like the character I'm playing it's an absolute certainty I won't play the game, but that also may include the back story on the character and other elements besides just the look.

A lot of games, like Skyrim and the The Sims allow you to create a character that you find entertaining. For a lot of us, that's half the game in itself. So, I think your idea has merit.

The first mods on my Skyrim mod list are the ones that make the women look better including better hair (the hair in the original game is pretty bad, but the Elder Scrolls has always had a policy of making the most disgusting character models possible. Relatively speaking, Skyrim characters are worlds better than Oblivion.) I actually owned the PC version, and went out and bought the game for another $50 on PC just so I could use mods like this for a better gaming experience. It's making me tend to think I'll never buy another console game again if I can get a PC version that can be modified instead.

But I've done character modeling and created hair for 3D character models. Let me tell you. It's no easy task. Styling hair is an art form and modeling a hair style is basically sculpting, just like if you were sculpting in clay, combined with painting (as you have to apply the correct hair textures in the correct way). So, I guess my point is that it would not necessarily be easy.

The final result should be a relatively low polygon count mesh with relatively low resolution textures. So, you have to keep that in mind. Your program has to produce a usable hair mesh when it's done.

You have to keep in mind whether it's easier to have professional modelers provide several hair styles for players to choose from, or whether players will enjoy trying to style their own character's hair. I can tell you that a lot of these games have some pretty poor hair styles. So maybe it would be a worthwhile feature in some games.

I think you might have to learn to be an actual hair stylist in order to be able to do it well.

For the hair that I've done on 3D models, I just pick a hairstyle from a magazine and then sculpt the model to match that, but that's a bit different from creating a program or subroutine that allows you to create a new hairstyle from scratch.

Anyway, it's an interesting concept. You should probably persue it if it interests you. But keep in mind how much players are going to value it and whether it's worth the investment of time and energy. How much does it add to the fun level of the game should be the ultimate question and compare that to the time and energy it would take to implement it. If it were done well, I think a lot of players might like such a feature. It might make a game more female player friendly as well - if it were done well.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 28 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 June 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

What it sounded like is not a few clicks. I grew bored with the head/eye/hair/skin/body sharper from skyrim... and making it a "barber shop" would probably just slow me down from killing shit... you know - playing the game.

For some of us, "killing shit" is just a small part of the game. Quite frankly, if "killing shit" were all there was to video games I wouldn't be here on this forum, and I would't play or buy video games. Probably 90% of the games I refused to buy or threw in the trash after one hour of playing were because all you did in the game was "kill shit".

:)

The thing that I hate most in MMORPGs is when they give you 4 different classes that are just different ways to "kill shit" and that's the whole game. Usually, those games go out of business pretty quick though. You can fool people on stand alone games, but you actually have to produce a fun game in order to get people to pay a monthly fee.

I don't mind combat in a video game, especially if it adds to the story, but walking around mindlessly pointing a cursor at things and mashing a button is not my idea of fun.

The closest I can remember that I've come to really getting into a game where you just "kill shit" would be Call of Duty and I don't think I've ever played any of the Call of Duty games all the way through to the end, although they were fun for a couple of days.

But I suppose you have different types of players who play games for different reasons and have different likes and dislikes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

@BBeck - if you didn't get the implied "killing shit" coupled with "skyrim" was a cover for "doing anything other than adding makeup, coiffing hair, and coloring skin tone on my character" then, as the kids say, sucks to your assmar. ;)

And inspite of a lot of the negative reaction,

When was being skeptical and offering grounded opinions being negative? If people advocate they skip the potentially tedious nature of producing a perfect hair swoop to off set shockingly emerald eyes on an Underdark blue skin toned runway model's structure with seven tattoos of various design and color (only six visible) so they can go explore, head to college, cast a spell, get into the story, craft armor, look over "that hill", or simple pick up the nearest 2x4 with a nail to "kill shit" - you know tear into the meat of the game - that is not quite a bad thing.

As you said - there are hurdles and turtles to get past. Poly count, player interested, distraction from the main game, etc... I would think skeptics would be welcomed as a source of potential pitfalls to track!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 28 June 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

@BBeck - if you didn't get the implied "killing shit" coupled with "skyrim" was a cover for "doing anything other than adding makeup, coiffing hair, and coloring skin tone on my character" then, as the kids say, sucks to your assmar. ;)

And inspite of a lot of the negative reaction,

When was being skeptical and offering grounded opinions being negative? If people advocate they skip the potentially tedious nature of producing a perfect hair swoop to off set shockingly emerald eyes on an Underdark blue skin toned runway model's structure with seven tattoos of various design and color (only six visible) so they can go explore, head to college, cast a spell, get into the story, craft armor, look over "that hill", or simple pick up the nearest 2x4 with a nail to "kill shit" - you know tear into the meat of the game - that is not quite a bad thing.

As you said - there are hurdles and turtles to get past. Poly count, player interested, distraction from the main game, etc... I would think skeptics would be welcomed as a source of potential pitfalls to track!

Nothing wrong with being skeptical and especially nothing wrong with offering grounded opinions. I actually thumbs-uped one of your posts in this thread.

I couldn't resist the chance to give you a hard time for implying that "killing shit" is where the bulk of the fun is at in video games. It seems like that's a common perception in the video game industry and one of it's biggest problems as it whines about falling sales figures.

I just wanted to point out that perhaps some players might enjoy the hair coiffing and putting lipstick on ogres more than the "killing shit".

And above all else, I want to point out that character "like-ability" is key to having a successful game. It's common knowledge that in RPG type games (strectching the concept to games like GTA IV) having a character that players don't like can be the kiss of death for sales. I think most of us liked Nico, or whatever his name was. But the point is that the game would not have done as well if players didn't like him.

In any form of story telling type entertainment, it's paramount to have the viewer, reader, or player like the main character. Because, if the character has no emotional attachment to the character they won't care about the story. In a video game, some players may identify with the character even if the character is just a dot on the screen, but for most people it takes a bit more than just having a character on the screen. It's easier to get the players to care when they feel like they are the character in first person. But as the game becomes more third person and about a character seperate from the player it becomes more and more important that the player actually likes the character. Some of that is situation and the story itself, but visually if the character looks like a dufus, the less a lot of players are going to care about the story.

One of the best ways to draw players in is to let them create a character that they like. Then when bad things happen to that character they care and want to get deeper into the game to resolve the conflict.

So, while coiffing hair may be a waste of time to you, another player may simply not care what happens to a character that's a duffus with a bad hair cut and therefore find no entertainment value in the game. The entire game may be ruined because the player doesn't want to play a game about being a dork that's too dense to realize he looks like an idiot.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 28 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

It's common knowledge that in RPG type games (strectching the concept to games like GTA IV) having a character that players don't like can be the kiss of death for sales. I think most of us liked Nico, or whatever his name was. But the point is that the game would not have done as well if players didn't like him.

I'm not sure about that. I think the majority of GTA IV players couldn't care less about whether or not they like the character. I bet most players don't even think about it. They buy and play the game because they like the gameplay. Personally I find the main character just a tool that allows me to run people over and shoot people's heads off. The fact that I 'like' the character is mute. I wouldn't stop playing the game because I somehow 'disliked' the character (whatever that means anyway).

Sounds like you want to have close relationships with characters in video games. I have stopped playing a game because I hated the character and don't know anyone who has done. I stop playing games when the gameplay becomes boring and dull.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostRyano121, on 28 June 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

It's common knowledge that in RPG type games (strectching the concept to games like GTA IV) having a character that players don't like can be the kiss of death for sales. I think most of us liked Nico, or whatever his name was. But the point is that the game would not have done as well if players didn't like him.

I'm not sure about that. I think the majority of GTA IV players couldn't care less about whether or not they like the character. I bet most players don't even think about it. They buy and play the game because they like the gameplay. Personally I find the main character just a tool that allows me to run people over and shoot people's heads off. The fact that I 'like' the character is mute. I wouldn't stop playing the game because I somehow 'disliked' the character (whatever that means anyway).

Sounds like you want to have close relationships with characters in video games. I have stopped playing a game because I hated the character and don't know anyone who has done. I stop playing games when the gameplay becomes boring and dull.

Here are just a couple of articles written on the importance of character in games. I'm sure I could find several quotes from various game programming books on how important it is and quite a few more quotes from books on story writing. I've heard game industry professionals discussing it, but I don't know where I could get a quote on that from.

http://www.pioneerpr...er-creation.php

http://www.digra.org/dl/db/05087.10012

Regardless, it's obvious that a large segment of the gaming community disagrees with you and considers character creation as somewhere in between important and absolutely critical. Why are these big game houses cranking out game after game with the ability to generate your own character?

They didn't add the ability to put makeup on Ogres to Skyrim on a whim. They added it because they thought it would improve their sales figures. And apparently they're on to something judging by the game's success. It's proven to be so important to video game sales that it's just become par for the course for most games, whether they do it well or not, most games realize it matters. Heck, I've even seen sports games that allow you to design a character. Why waste the time and development money on a segment of the game that players don't care about. The answer is that succesfull game companies don't waste their money and they know that giving players the ability to create their own character matters. And therefore, it's proof positive that character creation is one of the more important aspect of 3D video game making. Even those companies that don't let players create their own characters spend time creating a character that most players will like. Why? Because it matters enough to noticably affect sales.

You're also implying that story doesn't matter in an RPG. And it's also a well known fact that they can be a key factor determining sales as well.

There are always going to be those people out there that play video games just to kill, smash, and break stuff. It doesn't take much to entertain those people. But some of us have grown beyond that and find that part of the game the least entertaining aspect of the entire game most of the time. It's just a crutch for most game designers because it's the easiest way to get a fairly large number of players interested.

I mean, after all, it's really about providing conflict for the player, reader, viewer and making them want to resolve the conflict. Nothing's easier to create conflict with than combat. But professional writers, screen writers, and even the better video game writers, understand that combat is only one form of conflict but also the most cliche and easiest one to "cop out" with. There are always going to be those that just want to see stuff explode on the screen, but the larger public enjoys story and drama and conflict more deep than "Me go bash on head!"

One of my favorite mods for Skyrim is the hypothermia mod that allows you to freeze to death if you don't wear appropriate clothing and plan your trips so as not to end up becoming a popcicle. That's conflict, but there's no combat in that. In fact, the only way to win on that is "not to die". Not dying is the closest you can come to "winning" that conflict. And that's pretty much the way it is with man against nature conflict. You can't "beat" a huricane; all you can do is run like heck and hope you run in the right direction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

In any form of story telling type entertainment, it's paramount to have the viewer, reader, or player like the main character.

We all know that's a lie... I just have to point one sparkle finger at the 'Twilight' series. A perfect empty vassal to imprint on. Nothing objectively likeable or dislike-able... an opinion-less cardboard stand in.

I just wanted to point out that perhaps some players might enjoy the hair coiffing and putting lipstick on ogres more than the "killing shit".

Certainly - but at some point the joy of tweaking your character needs to be subsumed, and blown past, by actually playing the game, right?

it's paramount to have the viewer, reader, or player like the main character.

Sure I am not arguing against it, but at some level it hits diminishing returns. Is it worth having some crazed mini-Blender..thing.. bolted into the game that only a slim percent of people will use to such a degree the time effort in translates to gooey joy out? Something that is only present for a total of.. what...ten minutes? up front and then never seen again in the game? What I am saying is the business practicality of power-loading, what amounts to, a minigame and how that would detract from time and resources for the actual ... game. Hence why having even six sliders with seven options apiece can give you a fairly decent sized combination of features to get, even the most hard core coiffer, something to play with.

more important that the player actually likes the character.

So yeah.. you can rehash like-ability as some sort of visual only thing, but it's more than that. Story, writing, and setting all play into filling up that poly mesh. I am having a hard time remember a bad review or someone quipping "Nope.. no sirrrr-ee... I am not buying *THAT* game because the main character isn't how I envisioned 'em.", but instead it is more along the lines of "the story line blows, the hit detection sucks, and it crashes every sixteen seconds".

I think you are linking the impact of "liking a character" and the "visuals" too much.

Then when bad things happen to that character they care and want to get deeper into the game to resolve the conflict.

... more like they have no choice since it is a videogame with a finite number of paths to completion.

There's also a bit of nutting up on the developers' side as well. They need to put their foot down and say "Here's the story and world we want you to be a part of... here's a limiting set of models that fit into the world without being disruptive or breaking the perception of the game.".

As in sure.. there might be SOME user out there who wanted to have their default character with a giant red nose, afro'd out orange kinky hair, giant feet, and wearing not-so-white BVDs with a skid mark. That player will throw up their hands in disgust and return the game. Well shit. So f'n be it. You can't please everyone all the time, right? The time sink of allowing the skidmarked BVD clown in versus reallocating time and resources to getting that last bit of dialog worked out, updating cinematics, or bug squashing is a very real concern.

Throwing at me all these theoretical players that cannot enjoy the game because the character the developer provided isn't up to that player's ocular threshold is silly. They become a statistical outlier and catered to *if* the game has time and resources.

Now in a fighting game yeah I guess I can buy into some sort of character generation, but to what end? The StreetFight-esque games are all about combo memorization, button mashing, and playing against your buddies.

All of this amounts to a hill of inexpensive beans with regards to the OP. I am pro cost/benefit analysis, and realization you fundamentally cannot capture 100% of all players. The OP seems pumped up to making some sort of proof of concept of this so rock on... start a 'share my project' log. Keep us informed.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostUtael, on 27 June 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Don't poke holes in the guys idea. This is how features such as 3d movement in a game were thought of. I like the thought process although there will be tough hurtles. Designing a character editor to not only allow huge manipulation on some very tiny textures and objects to not only save an image but save into a 3d model is huge... You are talking 30mb just for the hair mesh. Now anytime that character is scene it now must use 30mb of the rendering resource to show it not to mention manipulate or show other textures. Great idea but i feel it will be a few years before we see something capable of doing this.

OMG! Really? Why can't you all do it now? 3 years? That's just a waste of time. You said it yourself it's only 30 MB worth of information. Heck, if I knew computer programming, I would of just done it now and got it over with. It's just simple copy and paste that's all or just translate to a different language.

It can happen now, it's just that no one seems interested in the project. I knew that's what was going to be said once I posted this. So, I just posted this topic anyways to compensate for my judgment.

Oh well, whenever you all get ready to do so. I'll just wait.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

Are you really saying these things!?

It's just simple copy and paste that's all or just translate to a different language.

Yes, ok, coming from someone with no programming experience.

This post has been edited by Ryano121: 28 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

@modi123,
I strongly agree that you have to do a cost to benefit ratio analysis on a game design decision like this. And you're not going to please everyone, and the more you try to please everyone the less likely you are to please anyone.

There's definately a diminishing return in character creation where if the game becomes just about making a character it's not really an RPG anymore. It becomes a totally different game. And a game that's JUST about character creation, probably isn't going to be fun for hardly anyone.

I'm not sure what your point about Twilight is. It seems to me that that's a PERFECT example of the importance of character creation. I heard psychologist after psychologist talking about how that series tapped perfectly into the psyche of the average teenage girl. Bottom line, they could see themselves in the story.

Likeability is not a visual only thing, but the visual part can be substantially important to a significant number of players. I didn't play World of Warcraft because I thought all the characters looked stupid and I was also partially burnt out after playing Everquest for a solid year. Between the two factors I played WoW for about 3 months and then never again. The likability of the characters may not ahve been the only factor but it was a factor in me not subscribing to the game month after month after month.

And you point out this character that some player may quit the game if they can't create.

As in sure.. there might be SOME user out there who wanted to have their default character with a giant red nose, afro'd out orange kinky hair, giant feet, and wearing not-so-white BVDs with a skid mark. That player will throw up their hands in disgust and return the game. Well shit. So f'n be it. You can't please everyone all the time, right? The time sink of allowing the skidmarked BVD clown in versus reallocating time and resources to getting that last bit of dialog worked out, updating cinematics, or bug squashing is a very real concern.

I agree with your point there. But I would also make the point that that's exactly what I'm talking about; you give me that character to play in your game, and it's over. I'm not buying you game if that's my character. Period. Sorry. Find another sucker with $60. And I don't think I'm alone on that. My point being, that while that may be exactly what one person wants to play, it may be a deal breaker for another player. SO, the best option is to just let people create the character they want to play.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#28 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

It can happen now, it's just that no one seems interested in the project.

Why does it matter? At least you have the most important person is interested in the project... you!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostStormKat33, on 28 June 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

View PostUtael, on 27 June 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Don't poke holes in the guys idea. This is how features such as 3d movement in a game were thought of. I like the thought process although there will be tough hurtles. Designing a character editor to not only allow huge manipulation on some very tiny textures and objects to not only save an image but save into a 3d model is huge... You are talking 30mb just for the hair mesh. Now anytime that character is scene it now must use 30mb of the rendering resource to show it not to mention manipulate or show other textures. Great idea but i feel it will be a few years before we see something capable of doing this.

OMG! Really? Why can't you all do it now? 3 years? That's just a waste of time. You said it yourself it's only 30 MB worth of information. Heck, if I knew computer programming, I would of just done it now and got it over with. It's just simple copy and paste that's all or just translate to a different language.

It can happen now, it's just that no one seems interested in the project. I knew that's what was going to be said once I posted this. So, I just posted this topic anyways to compensate for my judgment.

Oh well, whenever you all get ready to do so. I'll just wait.

Lol pick up a C++ book for beginners and try to say that with a straight face.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostRyano121, on 28 June 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

Are you really saying these things!?

It's just simple copy and paste that's all or just translate to a different language.

Yes, ok, coming from someone with no programming experience.

Yes. It's pretty simple if it's in the same language. IF in the same language then you CAN do copy and paste the same info from Blender or Auto Desk and get it to function in the game.

IF the game is being created in a different language other than Blender or Auto Desk, then translate it to that games language if it was opposite.

A complex world that is difficult comes from complex and difficult minds of people who projected it.

If this isn't simple then that's nuts.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +