• « First

58 Replies - 5273 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2012 - 01:50 PM Rate Topic: -----

#46 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A Question about an Idea I have about a new feature for video games

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:30 AM

A short wrap up here - this whole topic is moot. OP - from what you are telling me you are not a programmer, right?

You are just some person that enjoys video games. Great.. wonderful.. awesome. I know I was working under the auspices that you had some plan to code this up, or a concept to get underway, but instead you are just making a.. debate? I am not sure.

Either way - when people who do this for a living explain how your concept is different than say that Redken video and how much harder it would be... well listen. You can tell me "nothing in impossible" and what not, but until you've put concept to code it's all just a theoretical rose colored glasses.

Your idea, while novel, has been discussed by people who do program for a living. It sure is fun to keep up the mantra "impossibilities do not exist" banner, but to what end? Where is this going to get you? The concept is still going to be just that.. a concept... until *you* pickup the programming slack.

End game this conversation is like two ships passing in the night. The OP has a concept with no discussion of implementation, and everyone else gets the concept and is trying to talk implementation. There's no way to resolve this.

I say - OP how about picking up programming and TRY to implement this concept?

You say it can't be done. I KNOW it can be done. Until then you're not getting a penny from me the next time I run down to Game Stop until you truly contemplate what I say.

What?

I got what your saying all the way and I am asking you that all those years of your programming experience, you can't even muster up a fart?

What?

Please don't give me another explanation because I really don't want to get into trouble with the Moderators and the Administrators here.

You are ambling towards the 'trouble' way.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

It goes back to exactly what I was saying, to have a fully animated model with hair you can cut any how you want cannot currently be done.

@ StormKat33: If I am getting this right, is not faulting the logic behind your idea. Its an ok idea and might be somewhat interesting but with the current technology for the average consumer console or PC, it is not possible as in order to render a model with animated hair to the extent that you are describing would require too much processing power that current average consumer CPU's and GPU's do not really possess.

I'M the one that's getting very upset because every time I bring up a topic like this in every forum, that's all I ever hear. "It's not possible."

You think you would have gotten it by now...

You have ideas (which is good) so I suggest you pick up a language (C# or C++ maybe) and get to work on making them a reality.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

View PostButchDean, on 29 June 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

There is nothing to win, what you want cannot be currently implemented. I can see practically every short cut taken in the video and why it was taken.

What more can I say? :)

I said what I said and that's that. You can take away my reputation but that's not going to do you all any good. Anyways, YES it CAN be done and that's that.

SO, I am moving on to another topic or to a completely different website because nothing is being resolved and no one wants to do it.

~Done~
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

#49 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Feel free to add a thread to the "post a job" forum. The amount of work involved I hope you set the pay scale right.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

You bring us a convoluted idea with such a complexity level that you couldn't possibly understand how much work would be involved to implement a system such as this, and the necessary hardware requirements required to run a system such as this with zero programming experience or knowledge, yet somehow you know better than people who have worked in the industry for YEARS whether or not it can be done? That would be like me screaming at my mechanic because he couldn't turn my 93 Corolla into a time machine because "there's a video of a car that was turned into a time machine that allows a guy called Marty McFly to travel back to 1955" so it's definitely possible!

Nobody here is trying to shit on your idea, or discourage you from having grand ideas like this, as the grand ideas are how leaps forward in any industry are achieved, but the fact of the matter is that with current technologies, a system like this would not be possible. This doesn't mean that it won't be possible in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, or any time in the future, we're just trying to get you to see that current hardware and current technologies do not allow us to create something just because some random person has an idea.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 29 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostStormKat33, on 29 June 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

You say it can't be done. I KNOW it can be done. Until then you're not getting a penny from me the next time I run down to Game Stop until you truly contemplate what I say.

Then stop wasting electrons trying to make your case and DO IT if you know it can be done.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#52 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

StormKat33, even if this could be done, I think you lack the skills to do it. So even if someone told you where to start, I think it would sound like Greek to you. I don't understand why people with little to no experience try and tackle projects that take teams of senior developers months, at least. It's like a five year old jumping into a complex analysis class. Sometimes I think people like you need to get off their high horses, get their heads out of the sand, and take a good, long, hard look at what they are trying to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#53 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

take a good, long, hard look at what they are trying to do.

Through his own admission he isn't trying to *do* anything except get other people to do the work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#54 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

In that case, StormKat33, either pay people or stop being a lazy, Gimme Teh Codez help vampire.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

I don't think StormKat has any interest in programming, but rather sees himself (I presume StormKat is male) as the "idea man" who dreams up the concepts who others magically implement due to how revolutionary and ingenious said concepts are. At least that's what I'm getting out of this thread.

Not that the concept didn't have some merit, but I think the whole things was a request to the "video game industry" at large to implement the concept. I don't think StormKat had any plan on being involved other than dreaming up the idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#56 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostKilorn, on 29 June 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

That would be like me screaming at my mechanic because he couldn't turn my 93 Corolla into a time machine because "there's a video of a car that was turned into a time machine that allows a guy called Marty McFly to travel back to 1955" so it's definitely possible!

But dude, everyone knows you need a Delorean!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

But that video proves that it can be done with a car, you just don't want to do it with MY car!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostBBeck, on 29 June 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

I don't think StormKat has any interest in programming, but rather sees himself (I presume StormKat is male) as the "idea man" who dreams up the concepts who others magically implement due to how revolutionary and ingenious said concepts are. At least that's what I'm getting out of this thread.

Not that the concept didn't have some merit, but I think the whole things was a request to the "video game industry" at large to implement the concept. I don't think StormKat had any plan on being involved other than dreaming up the idea.

What people like StormKat don't realize is that even if their ideas do have merit, the industry is already full of experienced individuals who can both come up with good ideas with those ideas bing realistic in terms of the chances of it seeing a game world. In all honesty, for games, if an idea cannot be implemented on current hardware it's as good as no idea at all. Even us programmers discuss fantastic things we would like to see in our projects, but remain mindful of the current technological limitations.

That is the real world of game development (or at least part of it).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostButchDean, on 29 June 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

What people like StormKat don't realize is that even if their ideas do have merit, the industry is already full of experienced individuals who can both come up with good ideas with those ideas bing realistic in terms of the chances of it seeing a game world. In all honesty, for games, if an idea cannot be implemented on current hardware it's as good as no idea at all. Even us programmers discuss fantastic things we would like to see in our projects, but remain mindful of the current technological limitations.

That is the real world of game development (or at least part of it).

I have to agree with you.

I mean there's nothing wrong with coming up with a radically different idea. In fact that should be encouraged, but you can't just dream it up and expect everyone to build it for you. If you're going to say that the industry is wrong or just "doesn't see the vision" then you have to be the visionary who figures out how to do what everyone said can't be done. You can't expect others to do that for you; you have to get in there and figure out how to make it happen. Then you'll either find out why everyone told you there was no way it was gonna "fly", or you'll be able to demonstrate what other's were "missing". Either way, if you're going to be a visionary, you have to make it happen yourself and not expect others to make it happen for you.

And you would probably also be wise to listen to those who try and describe the pitfalls you're going to encounter on the journey rather than dismissing them and wandering off without any thought to what's ahead.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 29 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First