• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 1364 Views - Last Post: 02 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ridiculous requests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

I was being facetious...all my inane requests seem to be "make it configurable", but most people aren't going to give a happy crappy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

I was once asked to change all the fonts in a desktop application to Comic Sans. I was being paid so I did it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

My fave is when I get this request:

Boss: "Hey code up that [random internal system algorithm with no out-of-office analogue for me to base it off of]."

Me: "What do you want it to do?"

Boss: "It should do A, B and C."

Me: "OK. Are you sure that is everything?" (this part is key, I've learned to ask this one... despite it never actually solving my problem, what it does do is cover my ass when the inevitable happens)

Boss: "Yes."

...2 months later...

Boss: "Hey, asshole, your program is buggy as all hell. It doesn't do D, E, or F, like it's supposed to."

Me: "??? I didn't know it was supposed to do D, E, and F."

Boss: "Why not!? You're smart. I shouldn't have to tell a smart person everything!"

Me: "You do know smart does not mean MIND READER!?"

I would blame my boss... but this has happened with the majority of employers/contracts I've ever had. It also pertains to several other jobs I've had in the past outside of the programming world. GURRRRRR.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 29 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 28 June 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

Having the first textbox of a form receive focus when it opens isn't ridiculous at all.

If you open a Username/password box for example then certain expectations are just normal.

The User field should already have focus so you can just type.
Tab should take you to the password field
Enter from the password field should be the same as clicking the [LogIn] button.

Calculation results should just update as new values are entered. I shouldn't have to clutter the GUI with a Recalculate button.

If a value isn't valid above 100, then don't let the user input 150. I find it erritating to get all the values into a form THEN have a bunch of "you screwed up messages" come up when I hit Submit

I think my users must be some of the laziest bastards around,

They are paying for the software and using it 100 times a day. Any programmer that doesn't make the software quick, easy and respond in an intuitive manner is the one I would call the lazy bastard.

It is ridiculas are you kidding. I know everyone is use to have it set up that way, but to actually notice when its not happening and then taking the time to request it thats just pure american laziness. The time it probably took that person to actually put in the request is most likley equal to 30 years of clicking in that box.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

No.. it's not lazy it is "should have worked right the first time" sort of thing. Clearly you haven't been the work place to build up an animosity to a piece of software for a series of small issues that grate on your nerves.. to anthropomorphize it as if it is some cruel beast there to drive you insane. ;) The small things count, because it's not always just the time saved or lost it is the perception of your work flow being uneedlessly complicated when you could have it more streamlined.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

I can understand not wanting to do it, and thinking it's a petty request. But yes, it's one of those things that should have been done in the first place.

What I find hilarious is that they were so annoyed by the request for a pretty standard feature that OP decided to make a thread about 'ridiculous requests', and uses it as their example. I mean really... I get more ridiculous requests on my lunch hour than that (relatively speaking that is).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 29 June 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

I mean really... I get more ridiculous requests on my lunch hour than that (relatively speaking that is).

Well yeah, but we weren't going to get into what you do on your lunch hour.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

brown chicken. brown cow
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

It was just an example to get the thread going, I wasn't expecting everyone to focus on it. So if you must know, that particular example in question is on a website I run..a game, which I have spent thousands of hours on. It's totally free, I spend basically all my free time responding to people's bug requests and feature requests and quickly as possible to keep them happy...so yes, I happen to think that asking me to do that for them when they could just click it is ridiculous. If you don't agree..fine. I wasn't asking anyone to... I just thought we could have an interesting/vaguely amusing thread about feature requests...maybe not.

This post has been edited by Duckington: 01 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

I think you should code it to autofocus on the text box if such appears (you said it was random I believe).

Then, you should take the extra time code a nice JS snippet that focuses on every form element that particular user mouses over. Just that one user and let it run for just 2 sessions for him/her. Third session, everything works fine. Make sure you log in as them and test it to make sure it works.

Then, as you're testing that, realize that the typical reasons for providing a free web application are to:
  • build something cool that you can point at and take credit for
  • accrue a base of dedicated visitors to your site/app
  • acquire experience and knowledge for building/maintaining an app
  • experience the fun/frustration of dealing with the full gamut of computer users from Einstein to drooling retard
  • achieve the distinction of having crafted something of superior quality that eventually gets so few complaints compared to traffic that you've truly done something remarkable

...oh, and if it could make a rude sound at random for that one guy, that'd be cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +