14 Replies - 4624 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2012 - 03:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New to MS Windows, wondering about solid c++ IDE any opinions?

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Okay so I got my first working Win-box, it's running XP had quite a learning curve with it, coming from a Linux background... had to discover that "My Computer" is the equivalent to /mnt and that the counsel emulator (MSDOS.EXE) was discontinued, still not sure how to unmount hd's and the lettering scheme seems easier but I'm still used to the hda1, sda1 format... and I cant seem to find the windows repository app, add/remove software doesn't seem to be it... odd? but I'm getting the hang of things... at any rate it seems the internet as a whole works, I just find .exe files scattered all around the net and they seem to just add dependencies automatically so it works for now, but here's my question to this forum... what c++ IDE can I get that would work best for someone used to using Anjuta and Geany on Debian?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New to MS Windows, wondering about solid c++ IDE any opinions?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to MS Windows, wondering about solid c++ IDE any opinions?

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

what c++ IDE can I get that would work best for someone used to using Anjuta and Geany on Debian?

Well.. there's always Anjuta for windows as a place to start.

Side questions..

counsel emulator

run-> "cmd.exe"

to unmount hd'

Why?

windows repository app

Explain.

I just find .exe files scattered all around the net and they seem to just add dependencies automatically so it works for now,

Ah, what? You are just running any ol' executable willy nilly?

So explain what you've been doing for an OS then... I find it... difficult... to believe someone can toss around linux terms and some how has not to interact with any version of windows in the last ten or fifteen years.. be it for home, work, or where ever to the tune of information provided.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

Um yeah, I'm pretty isolated... I've really only ran Linux... I've spent literally maybe a grand total of 20 hours on windows in the last 15 years... and I didn't really have access to computers before that except some apple II's in the computer lab in grade school where we spent something like half an hour every other day and I don't remember it that well... lol. I'm quite possible the most native to Linux person you'll ever talk to, and I'm far from a guru... it's always been a means to an end for me, though I've grown to love it, but no worries about the side questions... because every time I need community support people try to relate things to me in Windows terms, this usually does me no good, that is up until now... now having usr communities that are well versed in whatever subject of computing I may need answers for, who are also accustom to using Windows analogies, can answer anything in reverse format as soon as i can get them to get over the fact that I would need such a thing, so I can go to places like the Debian user forum and ask them but I am happy to get any help I can. And I don't remember why I was gonna unmount /My Computer/D ... I think it was because I was gonna try to find the Windows partitioning tool and make a section of my hd vfat or something so I could easily share files between my OS's (I have Debian, mint, and now Win-XP in the box and I commonly run Kbuntu, backtrack, and Chakra as live systems...) Debian is my mainstay, everything else I just play around with... To explain what I"m looking for as in the Windows repository app is the program that you use to find other windows official programs and take care of lib dependencies (.dll files I'm guessing)so that I'm not 'just running any ol' executable willy nilly' cuz yeah I kinda am, what else am I supposed to do when I cant find the repository app... ooooh I know what to call it instead of repository app, and you'll likely understand what i mean! The App Store!, like on smart phones... you know how Android has 'play store' and BlackBerry has the 'BlackBerry App World' what's the Windows version of that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:02 AM

oh and it took me a min to get it but thanks for the

run-> "cmd.exe"
tip, i now have a console that i know virtually no scripts for... lol but hey it's a major leg up now i can start learning how to really run this baby... and um there's a Anjuta for Windows? I'll have to check the Anjuta site for that... thanks a million though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

View Post<binary_glitch>, on 29 June 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

To explain what I"m looking for as in the Windows repository app is the program that you use to find other windows official programs and take care of lib dependencies (.dll files I'm guessing)so that I'm not 'just running any ol' executable willy nilly' cuz yeah I kinda am, what else am I supposed to do when I cant find the repository app... ooooh I know what to call it instead of repository app, and you'll likely understand what i mean! The App Store!, like on smart phones... you know how Android has 'play store' and BlackBerry has the 'BlackBerry App World' what's the Windows version of that?

There is no real built in thing like that in current released versions of Windows, although Windows 8 is trying to change that. Every application has to take care of installing its dependencies and this is what lead to the early problems of DLL Hell when everybody and their brother thought it was free reign to install files into the System32 directory. Newer apps try not to stomp on each other now by installing all their components as isolated from each other as possible. There are some concepts of shared components that are registered in the GAC (Global Assembly Cache) for managed applications, the Driver Store for device drivers, the COM registry for COM components, and also the Windows Installer cache/database that keeps track of installed applications and components. It's all a big mishmash, though of different approaches, concepts, and technologies.

Windows machines that managed by corporate ITs can be managed by the IT managers such that applications and components can be advertised, published, force installed, or force removed, but often this features are not exposed to home and small business users.

View Post<binary_glitch>, on 29 June 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

oh and it took me a min to get it but thanks for the

run-> "cmd.exe"
tip, i now have a console that i know virtually no scripts for... lol but hey it's a major leg up now i can start learning how to really run this baby... and um there's a Anjuta for Windows? I'll have to check the Anjuta site for that... thanks a million though.

The CMD window is the past. PowerShell is what you want to learn.

Also abandon XP. Go with at least Windows 7.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

There is no real built in thing like that in current released versions of Windows

yeah from what I understand Windows lacks a lot out of the box, and is it true you can't shut down the window server and just work from a true terminal?
[quite]The CMD window is the past. PowerShell is what you want to learn.
Also abandon XP. Go with at least Windows 7. [/quote]
Lack of resources not just money, though I don't have much of that either it wouldn't matter if I had a million bucks unless i can pay for Win-7+ and download it, but if physical access to stores is necessary it's gonna be a while, lol... and can I just get bash for Windows? also keep in mind my download speed is around 15~30 kbps, lack of resources as I say but hey whatever works, I just wanna learn this system so i can get to authoring some viable code for it... and it looks like Anjuta needs gcc and g++ for Windows, I'm guessing windows uses a different compiler... why not it's just different in every other way... lol, oh and gcc needs this which needs that etc, it's like a dependency nightmare (DLL Hell) but with separate apps...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

Yeah my research is suggesting that i would have to manually port Anjuta to Windows, ( <a herf=http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/13143/3701/>see some of my research here</a> ) not a less than messy task... Geany seems to work on win though so maybe just something a bit more sophisticated to run as well would work I've found Dev++ and Eclipse anyone use any of those? what did you think of them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:57 AM

yeah from what I understand Windows lacks a lot out of the box, and is it true you can't shut down the window server and just work from a true terminal?

I wouldn't say so. It would be nice to have some developer tools installed out the box, like GCC or Visual Studio, but they're easy to obtain. By the Windows server, are you referring to the user interface?

View Post<binary_glitch>, on 29 June 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Yeah my research is suggesting that i would have to manually port Anjuta to Windows, ( <a herf=http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/13143/3701/>see some of my research here</a> ) not a less than messy task... Geany seems to work on win though so maybe just something a bit more sophisticated to run as well would work I've found Dev++ and Eclipse anyone use any of those? what did you think of them?

I'd go for Visual C++ 2010 Express, it's free (to register) and very robust and useful when used properly. For command line compilation, you can still use GCC, it's ported to Windows under the name MinGW and has all the functionality of its Unix counterpart. You will find that most Unix software has a Windows equivalent.

This post has been edited by Aphex19: 29 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

View Post<binary_glitch>, on 29 June 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

There is no real built in thing like that in current released versions of Windows

Not (quite) true. It depends on the Windows SKU you have installed. If you install versions of Windows tagged as "Server Core" they by default come with no GUIs. All you can get is a console window to type in commands into. Also if are running Windows "Preinstall Environment" (most know this as Win PE), then you also get just the console window. (Let me tell you that it is a major pain in the butt in both situations if you are a Dvorak keyboard user.)

Other Linux centric people have been very happy with using Cygwin. It'll give you a more familiar environment to work in complete with repositories, shells, and mounts, etc, but at the same time be interacting with the Windows OS as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

And I don't remember why I was gonna unmount /My Computer/D ... I think it was because I was gonna try to find the Windows partitioning tool

start -> control panel -> admin tools -> computer management -> disk management

alternative

start-> run -> "diskmgmt.msc"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

To explain what I"m looking for as in the Windows repository app is the program that you use to find other windows official programs and take care of lib dependencies (.dll files I'm guessing)so that I'm not 'just running any ol' executable willy nilly' cuz yeah I kinda am, what else am I supposed to do when I cant find the repository app... ooooh I know what to call it instead of repository app, and you'll likely understand what i mean! The App Store!, like on smart phones... you know how Android has 'play store' and BlackBerry has the 'BlackBerry App World' what's the Windows version of that?

There's not one per say. Windows is an environment where the market place is open to anyone to make and promote what they want. Go to your local store and purchase what you need.. go to a company's specific website and purchase the digital download.. etc. The burden is on the companies making the software to do it all while Windows provides the stable platform to run it.

If you want something just run it through bing or google and find it.

i now have a console that i know virtually no scripts for

Powershell

http://msdn.microsof...v=vs.85%29.aspx

and it looks like Anjuta needs gcc and g++ for Windows

Sorry - it looks like their website misled me.

If you want c++ just grab the visual studios express
http://msdn.microsof...o/hh388567.aspx

Of course know that c++ is a platform dependent compile so if you want to port it to another platform you'll need to recompile for that platform.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

View Post<binary_glitch>, on 29 June 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

DevC++ was the first (windows) IDE I ever used. I found it a relatively lightweight sold developing environment that was a little easier than the other options to learn.

Eclipse is available on most operating systems, so it might be a good choice for people wanting a familiar IDE on multiple different OSs. While I know people who use it successfully for c++ coding, I personally found the C side a little clunky and currently only use it for Java development.

I'd compare Visual Studios with XCode. Each has a bit of a learning curve, but is a powerful, optimized tool for developing applications targeted toward their native OS. VS has recently become my IDE of choice for writing Win32 applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Well all excellent advice,

I would just like to add that starting with
Windows 8 there will be the

'Windows Store' to deploy 'Metro style apps'

As for IDE's

Visual Studio Express with the Windows 7
SDK download would be an excellent
choice.

However you cannot sell any software
using this method for that you would have
to download the full 'Professional Product'.

Paying MicroSoft a shed load of money
in the process.

Code::Blocks with the MinGW installation
is another very good free one.
This time however you can sell your
software as its under GNU public licence.

Code::Blocks doesn't come with all
the extra .libs and header files that
make life easier as Visual Studio does
but there is nothing that Visual Studio
can do that you can't do with Code::Blocks
if you are clever, and know how to access
functions inside the specific system .dll.

Avoid older IDE's like DevC++

Best Wishes

Snoopy
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

well thanks for all the advice guys, I downloaded DEV++ and Eclipse and I Like Dev++ better Eclipse is too cluttered and involved, for me and I'm not really looking to sell apps, just learn, and write stuff for my needs, hoping that i can build a resume and learn in the process, the world can have by product as I usually use the GPL anyways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

View Post<binary_glitch>, on 30 June 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

well thanks for all the advice guys, I downloaded DEV++ and Eclipse and I Like Dev++ better Eclipse is too cluttered and involved, for me and I'm not really looking to sell apps, just learn, and write stuff for my needs, hoping that i can build a resume and learn in the process, the world can have by product as I usually use the GPL anyways.

Just so you know, Dev C++ was last updated in 2005 and is not maintained. Did you consider Visual C++ Express? Also, take a look here.

This post has been edited by Aphex19: 01 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:00 AM

wxDevC++ is still in active dev, and yes I did, I'm still in CLI stage... did build a GUI inventory/catalog app to track my movie collection so I know who borrowed what movie and when, using MS Visual Studio since I posted this it was an okay experience... but I'm not ready for all those tools yet... and learning the .NET FW is a bit much for me just yet let me get used to using the XP distro first then I'll take on more GUI oriented work and learning the MS Windows API and .NET FW thanks to everyone though... PS remember my bandwidth... it took 28 hours to download MS VS C++ Express... lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1