• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

60 Replies - 5366 Views - Last Post: 03 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

its all about the nuts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:11 AM

So I am sitting here at work eating sunflower seeds (without shells) and I look around and I see many of my coworkers eating sunflower seeds with shells and I was wondering why you would put so much effort into eating shelled seeds when you can buy them already deshelled.

So I guess I am asking who eats various types of nuts at work and whether or not you prefer shells on the nuts. Now this is of course omitting "guy nuts" or "crazy nuts".

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: its all about the nuts

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: its all about the nuts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

Well the shelled nuts tend to have salt on them, that make the removing of the shell a tasty event. It also slows the rate at which you eat the sunflower seeds down, so you're not eating to many of them. And it gives you a little something to do... like chewing gum, or smoking.

Personally I love pistachios.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

I really like some honey roasted peanuts with a good crisp IPA (ie, Smuttynose), but that's more for night work. Not really a great combination for the office, I suppose.

On a related note, for food fans, I discovered recently that almonds fresh roasted with some smoked salt and a bit of chipotle go amazingly well with a nice dark chocolate, but that's more of a dessert than a snack.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

I would have to say Filberts are probably my favorite which if I am not mistaken is sorta liek a hazzle nut. Then I would say pistachios, cashews, pecans, macadamia, and sunflower.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

My wife loves sunflower seeds and I have asked the same question. She says that the shelled seeds taste better than non-shelled, and its not just the salted outside, though that would be one of the enjoyable parts of eating shelled peanuts.

She likes quite a few foods that, to me, seem like a lot of effort for little reward. For instance, crab is delicious, but she doesn't like the pre-shelled crab, she wants to have full on King Crab legs. It's great, except for all the frustrating work of breaking the shell off and trying to get at little chunks of meat. To her credit, pre-shelled crab is usually mixed with whitefish, so all the effort can at least assure us that we're getting real crab meat.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

I like the sunflower seeds with the shells. But yeah pistachios and cashews would be my nut of choice. Unless I'm at a Sabres game or some sort of sporting event, then just a bag of regular shelled peanuts.

This post has been edited by bflosabre91: 29 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

If you want to talk about hard to eat, let's talk about pommegranite. They are delicous but the work required to eat one is one for the law of diminishing returns. For me if I was to eat nuts at work they'd have to be chocolate coated. Peanut M&Ms would have to be the best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 29 June 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

If you want to talk about hard to eat, let's talk about pommegranite. They are delicous but the work required to eat one is one for the law of diminishing returns.

I tried yogurt with passion fruit in it and just like a pommegranite it is all seeds. And yes they left the seeds in the yogurt and it sucked eating smooth creamy goodness and then finding a crunch in the middle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

Yeah, pommegranites are another one. I thought they were really cool when I first heard of them in middle school during a Greek Mythology class, but they really aren't practical. Pommegranite juice is amazing, but expensive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 29 June 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

It also slows the rate at which you eat the sunflower seeds down, so you're not eating to many of them. And it gives you a little something to do... like chewing gum, or smoking.

What he said. Give me a bag of shelled sunflower seeds and I'll eat the whole bag. Give me a bag of seeds with shells and I'll eat a handful.

If I bring nuts to work, they are typically in those 100 calorie packs, not sitting about in shells. Carrying nutcrackers to work so I can crack my nuts doesn't sound like something I want to deal with.

To recap: I like my seeds with shells. I like my nuts without. And I prefer both with no salt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Pumpkin seeds. Yum.

I do enjoy a bag of shelled mix nuts. I can sit around cracking 'em like some damn savannah bird and watch an episode of NCIS or LaO:SVU. It passes the time, but if you have the wrong tools it can cramp up your hands for sure.

Of course there was this discussion of the beef variety of nuts. You know.. in and around your mouthal regions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

I think your member title should be changed to "mmm... testicles..."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

I'm actually kinda surprised that this wasn't your thread, B9.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Yes, because I spend my days pondering what food topics I can create for no apparent reason. What the fuck people? Ooohh.... nuts... must be B9.... heheh. Because men never get a chuckle out of a good nut joke.

God I hate new people. They irritate the shit out of me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a staff meeting to attend which is likely to be considerably less dull than responding to Celerian for the afternoon.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »