10 Replies - 695 Views - Last Post: 05 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

Poll: Getting to the top (2 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the best way of getting to the top of search engines?

1. Paying to get to the top of google, yahoo, etc. (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. using some fancy meta tags? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Getting the word out to a lot of people so they hit your site. (0 votes [0.00%])

4. something not mentioned here (0 votes [0.00%])

5. all of the above (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

I am trying to get to the top of search engines

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

So I am rather comfortable with my level of programming at this point, however now my focus is turning more to a web development side of things. I am trying to educate myself as to how these web browsing spider thingies that google and yahoo have galavanting all around the internet indexing meta tags works. I have seen a couple of tutorials here on D.I.C. And one seemed to mention a lot about using a lot of links. I am also wondering about this, do I put links on my site to google? or do I put links on my site pointing to the sites that are at the top of google? How does google know that my site is pointing to it? Or is it that I have to get the top sites on google to point there links at me? For educational example here say I had the domain name www.merchandisewith.us and I put meta tags that point for every possible word having to do with merchandising with anyone. How do I get that search engine to see that meta tag? I am sure there are others interested in a more precise explanation as to the inner workings of these crawlers and maybe google and yahoo want to keep the inner workings of these more secretive I am sure to some extent they do. But how would they work for some open source type of search engine?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I am trying to get to the top of search engines

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I am trying to get to the top of search engines

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Google takes a snapshot of each page examined as it crawls the web and caches these as a back-up in case the original page is unavailable. If you click on the "Cached" link, you will see the web page as it looked when we indexed it. The cached content is the content Google uses to judge whether this page is a relevant match for your query.

When the cached page is displayed, it will have a header at the top which serves as a reminder that this is not necessarily the most recent version of the page. Terms that match your query are highlighted on the cached version to make it easier for you to see why your page is relevant.

The "Cached" link will be missing for sites that have not been indexed, as well as for sites whose owners have requested we not cache their content.

This is an excerpt from google's website explaining cached entries. Is this the little clue about the crawlers and how to get indexed?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

The best way to get to the top of search engines is to have relative web content. You can pay, but someone is just going to tell you how to change your site. It's a matter of key words, percentages, & beating your competition.

The first step I take in SEO is to first evaluate the competition.

Please make the following list :

Who is your competition?
What are your target keywords (please use relevant keywords in searching for your competition)?
What is the age of your domain?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 29 June 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

The best way to get to the top of search engines is to have relative web content. You can pay, but ... competition?
What are your target keywords (please use relevant keywords in searching for your competition)?
What is the age of your domain?

New Domain.
This post was helpful, and also, I figured it out in a tireless sleepless night journey through cyber space. Google has exceedingly useful development tools for web builders. Simpy logging in through my Gmail account allowed me to submit index entries for up to 500 domains. Each one including an entry with the GoogleBot and an initial indexing of all your sites so this was very Easy to do. If you need to get to the top of search engines start here! Google Analytics Lab
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

View Postdave_6_10, on 30 June 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

Simpy logging in ...

Sorry, but there's nothing simple about it. It isn't a matter of submission. You don't just land on a list & your golden.

SEO is all about content. That's why Google has become the best search engine, because it provides trust worthy search results.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

I have found it to be truly simple. Within the couple days I was learning this subject I managed to get google bots to land 3 of my pages at top of lists. The absolute best tools seem to be from the resell program.

Removed Scam.

If you subscribe to the program you are able to do SEO management, which runs a check on your SEO and then you can make changes to your keywords to generate optimization. Like I said since I have started using this program finding my way to the top of every list has been easy. Plus they award you with some Google AdSense credits also, your able to target an exact city or a specific group of like minded individuals. Happy Coding!

This post has been edited by Shane Hudson: 03 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

I don't believe you.

What are the urls & search terms?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Silicone Street go to google and search for silicone street. Top of the list :D Simple!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

So I'm to understand that you nailed your demographic of people that already know the name of your website. Nicely done.

Also, I'll bet your logged into your Google account when you are doing your search. You know this skews the results yes?

You've really got this SEO thing nailed down :

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Wow you really are a dic head dude! I am simply attempting to make a journal of my process through figuring this subject out and your just posting really dic headed comments the whole way through. In case you haven't realized the purpose of my topic is for people who, like me, are beginning to investigate the workings of SEO. If you are so high and mighty then it is apparent you are not in any need of this topic so for that reason please kindly remove yourself from it! Removal, okay so this gets me on topic for my original intent to post here this moment, Google web development tools also includes a tool that allows you to remove listings from the search results page. This should be done when your website or content has been removed or changed. It can be strange having a link posted at the top of the search results and when someone clicks it they find nothing there, or something not related to the search query because you decided to change subjects. When you use the removal tool you will find that it does require a review from google however this is done rather quickly. So from my experience in all of this I have found that it is wise to first begin with a keyword optimization for a keyword that is essentially specifically yourself, your dot com address, your full name, something like that. This will get you to the top of google quickly unless you happen to share a full name with someone famous, then you may change it up slightly to have for yourself a unique keyword. Now that you have gotten listed with this, use the removal tool after your website update and begin optimizing a slightly more general set of keywords. The main key to optimization is content, so the more content your page contains the more general of a keyword you will be able to optimize. If you care to learn more details about this you can like us on Facebook
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

View Postdave_6_10, on 04 July 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

Wow you really are a dic head dude!

I'm trying to help you because your approach to seo is wrong. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

View Postdave_6_10, on 04 July 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

I am simply attempting to make a journal of my process through figuring this subject out and your just posting really dic headed comments the whole way through.

Then don't post a topic, write this up under your free provided Dream In Code blog.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1