• (3 Pages)
  • +

44 Replies - 5118 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

chairs

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

So today I went to the chiropractor becuase I, an 18 year old, have had a bad back for a while. He said it was probably caused by sitting for too long with poor support and that a chair with better support would be beneficial. Given most of you here sit at a chair for large portions of your day I figured you've probably dealt with this or have an opinion on the what kind of chair offers the best support. I'm currently using an IKEA that's at least a year passed it's prime and offers about as much support as a stool.

so, what kind of chairs do you sit in while at the computer?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: chairs

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: chairs

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

I did the whole gambit of chairs: Office plush, workstation minimalist, ergonomic kneeling. Switching between an ergonomic kneeling and a big bouncy yoga ball was the best 'sitting' combination.

I moved to a standing workstation arrangement a couple years ago and it made all the difference in the world.

The desk is a 5' baker's rack with 5 shelves. This means a desk that grows up instead of out. Keeping cables tidy is easy as you can zip-tie to any of it. Its on 4" casters, so if I need to get to the back I just wheel it out from the wall. The USP is on the bottom shelf and everything goes through it for power so the entire rack only has 2 outgoing cables: 1xpower 1xinternet

Attached Image

Attached Image

I built it all to work at while standing. But can also use a barstool so this allows going back and from from sitting and standing, half-sit with a leg on the ground... Just lot of different postures.

I think one of the most important things to consider is your posture. If your office just plops a monitor on your 34" tall desk you probably slump to have your eyes level with the center of the monitor(s). Get those monitors up to eye-height plus an inch so you have to sit up straight. Monitor swing arms help with that. Or a cinderblock for a pedestal to raise it.

PC
MacPro tower
3x 24" monitors running through a IOgear DVI KVM
barcode reader, magstripe reader
cameras
Mt.Dew
Ruger LCP
Beretta 92fs
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

I just use a generic office chair usually. At work it has no arm rests, mine at home does.

My physio reckons my neck problems are from poor posture, so I've been trying recently to keep my head more..up right, with less leaning forward, which has helped a little bit, but I still get neck aches, headaches, eye aches, etc... all the time, and it's not exactly fun having to take painkillers most days when i get home, so I may just jack it in and do something else.

This post has been edited by Duckington: 30 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Shop for a solution, not drugs. How can one think clear enough to code if they are on pain killers?

Baker rack
Casters
Stool
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

Learn to sit!

I'm not joking here, slouching will kill you. The super comfy executive office hammocks, like the Herman Miller things, are great for lounging, but crap for working.

I like a solid seat for my posterior, enough height that my feet can be flat on the ground, and nothing confining me on the sides. Sit up when you type, no slouching. Let those back muscles do their job.

I did try the ball thing once. Might do so again. However, I'm over six feet tall and over three hundred, so I've yet to find a ball that works for me.

If you're having back problems, I would recommend learning proper posture. The unconscious habits we acquire over a lifetime generally suck. Relearning where your weight should go and how that feels makes a lot of difference. I'm a fan of taiji, but there are many methods towards this goal.

I love the idea of a standing station! I'm not sure how well it would work for me. I've done this in server rooms a few hours at a time and I'm usually wiped by the end of the day. But, if I did it all the time...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

Similar thing happened to me when I did a year placement at a pharmaceutical company. Stood in front of a fume cupboard all day and went home exhausted every day for a couple of weeks. Wasn't long before I got used to it though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 30 June 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

I'm not joking here, slouching will kill you.

Living at my parents I learned to code on this :

Posted Image

My slouch was HORRIBLE. I've never found anything as comfortable as that chair. If I could move it to the office at my shop, I would. It sits in my home office where it never gets used. I must have used that thing for 7+ years, before I moved my computer equipment out of my home.

I would sit fairly far from the monitor, & use the chord from the keyboard to put the keyboard in my lap. I'd slouch way to my left, & probably even sit on one foot.

Maybe I take enough breaks & sit only in moderation that it doesn't really screw up my back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

ya, I'm pretty strongly considering trying a lazy boy. I lean back when I'm at a computer but the current chair I'm using has a really low back(hence it being like a stool) so instead of learning back on it I'd rest on my desk; that seems to be a big part of what caused my problem.

I might try the ball actually; see how that works. I have a tendency to fall asleep at my computer(if your dehydrated you get a neat little pattern on your face from the keys) so that might solve that too :P

Maybe I take enough breaks & sit only in moderation that it doesn't really screw up my back.

he said breaks were more important than the chair. get up, walk around, stretch, get a drink, etc... short of sleeping we aren't made to be 1 spot for extended amounts of time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

Technically, you should take a break every hour. Both for eye strain and blood flow. I drink a lot of water, so bathroom breaks usually take care of this. I'll often just stand up, stretch, shift weight from foot to foot, stare out the window. This helps a lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

Ya; I'm at my computer for hours sometimes. I bet I average 3 hours between breaks.

I looked at those Herman Miller chairs and I can say with a good deal of certainty I can't afford to pay that much on a chair :P

My mom has some of those balls for students in her class room so I think I'll snag one of those and try it first.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 01 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

View Postishkabible, on 01 July 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Ya; I'm at my computer for hours sometimes. I bet I average 3 hours between breaks.

Set a CountDown timer on your phone for 1 hour. Even if all you do is get up, go refill your water glass, take a piss and go back to work at least you're getting up and moving.

If you have the freedom of workplace (IE: Work at home) you can do 50 situps at one break, push-ups the next, chin-ups the next. Doesn't have to be a whole workout: Just 5 minutes of anything that gets the heart-rate up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Standing desk is the way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

if the ball doesn't fancy me then I might try the standing desk. I did that at my last job while fixing computers and it worked quite well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

I have a standing desk with a possible stool w/ back at work and switching between the two is pretty nice. When I'm home, I have a generic office chair. The important thing with that is that you keep your feet on the ground at all times.

I ave severe rotator cuff tendinitis, so proper posture is super critical, because literally, one bad stretch can screw up my back for days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

The important thing with that is that you keep your feet on the ground at all times.

something else I don't do :P I must take horrible care of my back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +