• (3 Pages)
  • +

44 Replies - 4452 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: chairs

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

I'm intrigued by that chair; how does it work?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Do a search for "kneeling chair" for more details, but the basic theory is that the pelvis is tilted forward opposite of a slouch. This forces the upper body to become more erect and provide the correct posture.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#33 GWatt  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

As awesome as this chair is, my desk/monitor height is suboptimal.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by GWatt: 03 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Ouch! Your poor wrists!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

I'bve tried those chairs before and found all they did was cut off the circulation to my legs, no matter how I adjusted it.

I googled them and some people were suggesting they are bad for sitting for long periods, and my physio was off the opinion they're not very good for posture either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

did little research on them and it seems they're helpful.

The key seems to be proper spinal support. without leaning back/laying down the only way to support your spine is to sit up straight. various chairs help spinal alignment(e.g. sitting up straight) including kneeling chairs, balls, and other chairs. all this said, it requires effort on the part of the individual.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

I have to say, I've had trouble with the kneeling chairs in the past. One day I decided that I needed to actually invest in a chair and decided to sink some money into a Herman Miller Mirra. So incredibly worth it. It's pretty fantastic. No more back problems either.

mod: spamy link removed

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 08 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

In my opinion the most important thing has already been mentioned, get off your arse and exercise a few minutes every half hour to hour. Next when considering a chair don't leave out the desk and monitor height. You can have the greatest chair in the world, but if the height of your keyboard, mouse and monitor are incorrect you will still have posture problems. Also consider a small foot stool, switching between placing your feet on the stool and the floor. Remember that even a standing desk can cause problems if it is not set to the correct heights.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

Attached Image

I sit in one of these at work... but I've always been a foot-sitter (as in, I always - ALWAYS - curl one foot underneath me). Years upon years of foot sitting have slowly but surely pushed my tailbone off to the side (I tend to favor sitting on my right foot which pushes my tailbone toward the left side). I now have a monthly trip to the chiropractor to push it back into place. And I rarely take breaks - one or two trips to the bathroom, ocassionally I'll go out to lunch, but mostly I just sit and sit and sit for 8 solid hours - there's too much to do... no time to get up and exercise during the workday.

When I use the computer at home (which isn't horribly often - I prefer to do things when I'm home), I sit on a kitchen chair and slump over the laptop. My posture friggin sucks.

So, my chiropractor recommended a ball to (1) force me to use better posture and (2) strengthen my core muscles to help hold my tailbone in place. I have a ball at home and a ball in the office. I can prolong a chiropractic visit indefinitely by actually using them - no pain means no doctor, right? But I get lazy/tired/busy/frustrated and go back to my chair, and my foot (as a kid, my mother would yell at me, "Stop sitting around with your foot up your ass!"), and my slouch.

I've been pondering the whole standing desk concept though.... possibly even a treadmill desk.... wonder if the boss would go for it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

They had a Treadmill desk in our support center for a while. From what people have told me it worked quite well except for the whole needing to talk on the phone thing.

I usually force myself to go for a short 5 minute walk around the building every hour, then every 4 hours I use my 15 min break and walk outside. I've looked at the standing desk thing, but there is no way I could take being on my feet for 10 hours a day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#41 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

View Postrgfirefly24, on 09 July 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

They had a Treadmill desk in our support center for a while. From what people have told me it worked quite well except for the whole needing to talk on the phone thing.

That sounds like fun, actually.

I usually force myself to go for a short 5 minute walk around the building every hour, then every 4 hours I use my 15 min break and walk outside.

Have you considered taking up cigarettes? The smokers in my building are always going outside for walks...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

I used to be a smoker from age 15 to 26, but quit because the health benefits and money savings. You shouldn't need to be a smoker just so that you have an excuse to get up from your desk. You can always explain to them the health benefits of not sitting in a chair for hours and hours on end. I know that before I started forcing myself to get up and move I had to wear compression socks to keep my ankles from swelling up. Now that I get up and move I've noticed that the circulation in my legs has dramatically improved, as well as the swelling is not bad enough to require the compression socks anymore.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#43 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

When I worked in offices I always made a point of taking a break when the smokers did. For some reason it was perfectly fine for them to take 3 breaks an hour plus lunch. So I did the same thing. Primarily to make a point, but the walk around the building didn't do me any harm.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#44 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 09 July 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

When I worked in offices I always made a point of taking a break when the smokers did. For some reason it was perfectly fine for them to take 3 breaks an hour plus lunch. So I did the same thing. Primarily to make a point, but the walk around the building didn't do me any harm.

I have a friend who would take "smoke breaks" and go out on the loading dock and read for ten minutes. Same reasoning.
In clement weather, I have one co-worker who is happy to take our meetings walking - we're down by the water, so we can get a nice breeze, and half an hour's walk is a great break.
This doesn't always work, of course - document reviews are hard to do that way - but it's amazing how much you can get done this way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

in the past week, I've started making a point of sitting up straight(or at least with support on my back) and getting up to either walk or do push ups every hour. although my back doesn't feel perfect, I don't have the pain anymore. I'll probably go tot he chiropractor 1 more time and keep this up; hopefully that should do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +