2 Replies - 408 Views - Last Post: 02 July 2012 - 08:01 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for open-source game with really efficient 3D graphics

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hi,

For a simulation I want to do I'm looking for some open-source code I can use for the "world" it's running in.

Basically, I want to have a 3D world with a number of simulated "players" in it.
I plan to give each of those "players", as an input, a view of the 3D world from their respective positions. All "players" are supposed to be simultaneously calculated on one PC and do a bunch of other stuff too, that means: I need some REALLY efficient 3D graphics to provide them their view.

It doesn't matter if the graphics look crappy, but I'd still want them to be some sort of 3D.
At the moment, I'm thinking some voxel approach would be best, but I have no experience at all about how much rendering time these need.

Do you have any idea what I could use for this?

Thanks a lot,
Ciao,
Gio

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for open-source game with really efficient 3D graphics

#2 BBeck  Icon User is online

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for open-source game with really efficient 3D graphics

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Well, it really depends on what you're trying to do. You mentioned voxels; so the first question that comes to my mind is "Can you do it in MineCraft"? If so, that may be the best way to go.

Another possibility is SecondLife. If you're just wanting to do sort of a 3D chat sort of thing where people come together to talk and socialize, SecondLife might be a really good option. SecondLife allows you to script a lot of things to make it work the way you want it to work.

I'm kind of progressing from easiest solution to the most complex.

After that, Unity - or some other 3D engine - might be a good option. Unity, is going to be a bit more "low level" and allow you to go a bit deeper with what you can do as well as - I think - you can run it on your own server or private network (where the others are all very public).

After that, you're looking at doing it for real which means learning a programming language and - to one extent or another - building the thing from scratch. Personally, I always recommend learning C# and then XNA for that. I haven't played with any networking in XNA, but I'm told it is capable of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Looking for open-source game with really efficient 3D graphics

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hey,
thanks for your answer.

The thing is, with "multiple clients" running on the same PC, I meant as many as humanly possible.
I remember SecondLife gave my computer a hard time with only one instance running ^^

What I think I need is something much more low-level.
About Minecraft, I am considering using Infiniminer, its predecessor which is open source and has a server/client buildup I could use well; but I was wondering if there was something similar that would work even better.

I don't mind digging myself into the code and changeing things, but I know nothing about game graphics, so if I had something where that part is already dealt with, that would be awesome.

I'll take a look into that 3D engine you mentioned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1