9 Replies - 1444 Views - Last Post: 20 August 2012 - 05:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Showing video from video input card in C#

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

Hi people.

I have bought a Hauppage Colossus card and the only reason i bought it is because I want to get the HDMI video into my application... I have gotten the WinTV SDK from Hauppage, but I'm really stuck.

Do any of you have any hints or ideas on how to get video from this card?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Rg
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Showing video from video input card in C#

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Showing video from video input card in C#

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

"I'm stuck" is hardly much for us to go on.

I'm not sure how much more help we can provide than actually having the SDK: That's your best information source.

What are you 'stuck' on? Classes, archetecture, GUI design, what is a property,....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Im stuck in this instance means "I dont know where to begin" to be honest... The SDK I got sent was an installfile, and when I install it I still have no clue on how to use it. If I try to google "Wintv sdk tutorial" nothing shows up.

That's why I was hoping for someone with experience with using these cards, maybe I can use Directshow or something. I really want to make this work, but I am sadly dependant on some start-help if I am to make it.

I am currently trying to use AForge, but even if it works with my webcams it doesnt show any pictures when selecting the Hauppage Colossus source.

Thanks for your reply by the way!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Before even worrying about the SDK, how much experience do you have building any application from scratch?

Do you understand events... actually making your code Object Oriented... ?

Start with these tutorials for general concept information. There is no point trying to work out the SDK if you aren't familiar with the concepts its building on or expecting you to understand.

The tutorials below walk through making an application including inheritance, custom events and custom controls, object serialization and more.
Quick and easy custom events
Bulding an application - Part 1
Building an application - Part 2
Separating data from GUI - PLUS - serializing the data to XML
WPF version (WPF-MVVM data binding)
Passing values between forms/classes
Decouple your multi-threaded work from the GUI so forms don't hang
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

How big is the SDK? Can you zip it and stick it someplace for I/us to download?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

I do understand all the basics of events and object oriented code. But as programming is not profession and only a hobby I usually have to get some code snippets here and there, modify and build on - I havent done more advanced stuff like this all the way from scratch. Which in a way was the reason I hoped someone had made something open source that could get me started.

The SDK can be found here: WinTVSDK_Installer

I will be sure to go through the tutorials you mentioned, allthough several of them I have already read and learned heaps from :-) ( I owe all my skills to this forum, love it)

This post has been edited by rg2720: 02 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

To start with... Don't worry about the SDK for now.

There is plenty to do before you ever deal with actually interacting with the video board. For now you can start stubbing out the general design.

You know you are going to need classes for all sorts of things:
VideoController
Preferences
RecordingEvents
ChannelLists and so on

You know you are going to need to build UserControls for things like setting the preferences and so on. You need to build methods for serializing your object data (such as favorites lists and so on)

You don't have to know how your VideoController class is going to interact with the board SDK just yet. But common sense lets you know you'll need methods for Start() Stop() SelectChannel() SelectVideo() etc. etc.

There is a LOT of program you can build now, then as you learn the interaction with the SDK you can fill in the guts of the SelectChannel() method and so on.

You can build a
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have to admit I don't know enough to do all of that from scratch :( I was hoping there would be libraries or other projects and learn from reading those projects code.. That's how I have managed to show webcamera pictures in my application.

I really wanted to replace the crappy webcam with HD input to the videocard :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

If that's your total goal, buy a HD webcam.

You're unlikely to find a tutorial for "How to build an entire application for using the XYZ video card, including how to save your preferences, and a built-in teaching of what objects are"

You're going to have to take it one tutorial at a time, learn how to do one new thing at a time then blend all that yourself into a complete application.

I pointed you to tutorials for most of these concepts:
  • Building UserControls that are very self contained.
  • Separating your data from your GUI
  • Saving your data as a serialized XML file
  • Breaking down an application into a several smaller parts

That's pretty much building 90% of all applications. The rest comes from practice. At this point you just need to get over your fear of doing something wrong. You're not going to build a perfect application. Accept it. Build something. Learn as you go. Realize after 40 hours invested in it that you should have done x differently and change it or start over. This isn't a building where a mistake means you've wasted $40,000 in material. Every project you build, forever, is going to benefit from rewriting. Version 2's are always better than version 1's. But if you stick to modular approach, classes talking to classes, don't tightly couple each piece etc., then you can make a version 2 of a given class without having to redo the entire application. At this point just start building.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 03 July 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

If that's your total goal, buy a HD webcam.

You're unlikely to find a tutorial for "How to build an entire application for using the XYZ video card, including how to save your preferences, and a built-in teaching of what objects are"

You're going to have to take it one tutorial at a time, learn how to do one new thing at a time then blend all that yourself into a complete application.

I pointed you to tutorials for most of these concepts:
  • Building UserControls that are very self contained.
  • Separating your data from your GUI
  • Saving your data as a serialized XML file
  • Breaking down an application into a several smaller parts

That's pretty much building 90% of all applications. The rest comes from practice. At this point you just need to get over your fear of doing something wrong. You're not going to build a perfect application. Accept it. Build something. Learn as you go. Realize after 40 hours invested in it that you should have done x differently and change it or start over. This isn't a building where a mistake means you've wasted $40,000 in material. Every project you build, forever, is going to benefit from rewriting. Version 2's are always better than version 1's. But if you stick to modular approach, classes talking to classes, don't tightly couple each piece etc., then you can make a version 2 of a given class without having to redo the entire application. At this point just start building.

Thanks for your reply again. I have built all i need now, I do save the settings through serialization etc. The only thing I have left is to discover the Directshow device (aka. the HDMI input card) and show it in the picturebox. I feel like I have done it before because I got the webcam working in the same manner. But when changing from webcam to DirectShow input I don't know how to go about it.

Is this where I am allowed to ask for help again? :)

Anyway, love the forum regardless. Learned so much from here over the years...

Cheers!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1