• (4 Pages)
  • +

49 Replies - 7291 Views - Last Post: 06 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: What Does Windows 8 really mean ?

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 02 October 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

Closed systems have tendency to die - now more than before.

Apple says what?

You don't probably remember when Apple had very closed system, but it had to open up, because it was about to die. I think that was sometime in the latter half of 1980's.

This post has been edited by turboscrew: 02 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#32 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

... and it all shifted to the walled garden now. That's pretty damned closed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 03 October 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

... and it all shifted to the walled garden now. That's pretty damned closed.

... and maybe dying...

http://www.forbes.co...-apps-universe/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Nice article it is really nice.. and it is 100% true
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

Apple hasn't shown signs of dieing.

Those of us who believe in more open code may talk shit about Apple. But that doesn't mean they're dying.

Rather the contrary happened in the last 12 years of Apple.

If we're going to say that your referenced article is proof of Apple dying.

I'd say several things unrelated to their closed model are hurting them just as much if not more.

Foxconn debaucle
Steve Jobs dying
EU investigation of customer fairness

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 03 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 03 October 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Apple hasn't shown signs of dieing.

Those of us who believe in more open code may talk shit about Apple. But that doesn't mean they're dying.

Rather the contrary happened in the last 12 years of Apple.

If we're going to say that your referenced article is proof of Apple dying.

I'd say several things unrelated to their closed model are hurting them just as much if not more.

Foxconn debaucle
Steve Jobs dying
EU investigation of customer fairness

Apple was in quite bad shape due to its closed architecture before (latter half of 80's I think). It's hard to find any stuff that old in the web, because www was not invented until 1990. Maybe in some old gopher-sites (if there still are any around)...

The problem was the lack of SW, because only Apple and "licensed companies" were allowed to know about the internals of the Apple-machines. The Apple apps were really good, but the spectrum was quite narrow. Also, very little PD software (if you still recall the abbreviation "PD" and bulletin boards).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#37 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

... okay that was the 80's, and how does that address the sad fact the Apple products of today are the most rabidly sought after tech items and people are happy - no gleefully - skipping into the walled garden of their development to be able to use them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

View Postturboscrew, on 04 October 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Apple was in quite bad shape due to its closed architecture before (latter half of 80's I think). It's hard to find any stuff that old in the web, because www was not invented until 1990. Maybe in some old gopher-sites (if there still are any around)...

The problem was the lack of SW, because only Apple and "licensed companies" were allowed to know about the internals of the Apple-machines. The Apple apps were really good, but the spectrum was quite narrow. Also, very little PD software (if you still recall the abbreviation "PD" and bulletin boards).

Yes you already said that.

And modi's response was that it's been far different for the last 12 years, in which Apple was extremely closed, yet extremely profitable.

And you responded to those claims with:

I was contending that contemporary reference of yours. We've already agreed on the 80's. We don't agree on the current state of affairs.

Keep up with your own context... jeez.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 04 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Personally, when I saw the title for this thread under Active Content, I thought it would be worth a read.

After 3 pages, it just sounds more and more like Bob at the 7/11 ranting at people that "Change is A'Coming," and if we don't listen to him, may God have mercy on our souls.

In any case, what short amount of time I have spent playing with Windows8, I like it, mostly because it's different in many aspects of navigation and UI, but Windows7 is as put forth a solid work horse that many businesses are just now starting to upgrade to from the horrors of Windows Vista

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 04 October 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

Personally, when I saw the title for this thread under Active Content, I thought it would be worth a read.

After 3 pages, it just sounds more and more like Bob at the 7/11 ranting at people that "Change is A'Coming," and if we don't listen to him, may God have mercy on our souls.

In any case, what short amount of time I have spent playing with Windows8, I like it, mostly because it's different in many aspects of navigation and UI, but Windows7 is as put forth a solid work horse that many businesses are just now starting to upgrade to from the horrors of Windows Vista

Posted Image

Well again I am not having a rant here..

I just think that

1 Windows 8 will be a success because I can see the advantages of an OS that runs across all device types.

2 This will mean developers both big and small time will have to change the way they develop their app's
see video link.

3 The 'store' concept where you will download virus/malware free software will be a good thing

4 Touchscreen's seem to be taking over, I am not sure this is a good thing, just that I watch the teenagers and
my own kids and they 'get' touchscreens right away, in fact they are sometimes amazed everything is not a
touchscreen.

5 Small developer's and hobbyist programmers may be left behind.

You may say well google's android platform runs on all devices they have the 'store' and the world has not ended.

Again I say yes this true but I never thought Microsoft would actually go this way with it's OS and
compete with Android, why do that, and again I am not saying the world will end ?

It must show that Microsoft think the hobbyist type pc is going to change.

My Concerns

Some technical writers think the pc is going to die others most notably Bill Gates himself thinks
it will simply change into something else.

I think we can all agree that Microsoft has the biggest share of the Desktop computer market
why give all that up for a Touchscreen interface, will this idea work for Desktops ?

Google although they have the Chromebook dont have a Desktop machine

Microsoft seem to be taking Google Android on, I think they will probably win but will
they piss off a lot of people who already know the Microsoft Windows system inside and out
for a radically different OS they dont know how to use ?

Will people go stuff this I am moving to Linux for the Desktop's or will Microsoft win ?
I don't know it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Snoopy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

View Postsnoopy11, on 04 July 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 July 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

This is true to a degree - but not really. your app will be expected to run on the platforms you dictate. We haven't overhauled our apps for the iPad because the iPad is a device for consumption. The main large scale apps are still pc based because they are expected to run on them.

No it really wont, what Microsoft want is a single OS on all devices running your app which can only be downloaded onto Windows 8 via the Microsoft Store eventually all software is going to come from the Windows Store or the Apple Store.

That way Microsoft or Apple get complete control of what software is allowed to run on their OS.

The end user gets a better experience and Microsoft and Apple get an OS that is completely stable and virus/malware free.

That I think is the future.

I assure you that if Microsoft were to restrict all applications to what they allow on the Microsoft store, Linux will become a HELL of a lot more popular. Look at the iDevices for instance, why did people jailbreak them? Because apple was restricting what you could do on it.

View PostTaurous, on 01 November 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

View Postsnoopy11, on 04 July 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 July 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

This is true to a degree - but not really. your app will be expected to run on the platforms you dictate. We haven't overhauled our apps for the iPad because the iPad is a device for consumption. The main large scale apps are still pc based because they are expected to run on them.

No it really wont, what Microsoft want is a single OS on all devices running your app which can only be downloaded onto Windows 8 via the Microsoft Store eventually all software is going to come from the Windows Store or the Apple Store.

That way Microsoft or Apple get complete control of what software is allowed to run on their OS.

The end user gets a better experience and Microsoft and Apple get an OS that is completely stable and virus/malware free.

That I think is the future.

I assure you that if Microsoft were to restrict all applications to what they allow on the Microsoft store, Linux will become a HELL of a lot more popular. Look at the iDevices for instance, why did people jailbreak them? Because apple was restricting what you could do on it.

And at the moment, I'm loving windows 8. I have this trendy new start screen, AND A FULLY FUNCTIONAL WINDOWS 7 DESKTOP. Seriously, hit that big button labeled "Desktop". I have yet to have had any compatibility issues or confusion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

View Postsnoopy11, on 05 October 2012 - 01:47 AM, said:

Small developer's and hobbyist programmers may be left behind.

Wow, where did that come from?

Idk about hobbyists but for small developers... it's time to shine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Windows 8 is pretty cool. MAC FTW though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

I don't find "Apple Store" appealing at all, personally. I suspect Windows 8 is Microsoft's response to Apple's hardware-based initiatives. I disagree that "my apps" will be required to run on all devices. It depends on the app, doesn't it? For example, an app that displays sheet music for musicians isn't going to need to run on an iPhone or whatever Microsoft equivalent finds its way to the market. People won't be able to see it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Jesus, I practically wore holes in my finger tips arguing this same crap in my MBA marketing class. The professor is convinced that desktops are dying, touchscreen/mobile crap is where all computers will be within the decade, yada yada. But this is coming from someone who used a minute fraction of the capabilities of his desktops and laptops, so of course he didn't understand why anyone would have them. Sure, content consumption, in a large number of scenarios, is perfectly fine on small devices, and is often really handy when it can be done from mobile devices. But the content producers won't be giving up their keyboards, mice, tablets, and large screen anytime soon. Sure, mobile devices in 10 years will be more powerful than my development desktop is now. But my development desktop will be more powerful by that same amount, and thus the content that I produce from it will still be leveraging the same percentage of the devices on which it is consumed. It's not like desktops have reached the pinnacle of their performance and flexibility, and only mobile devices will advance from today forward. Laptops, in the traditional sense, are certainly in trouble, but as much as the Surface Pro may seem like a laptop killer, some of the new Windows 8 laptops are pretty kickass. The OP (and the others who spout this nonsense) seem to think that innovation, advance, and utility are relegated solely to the mobile computing market. That's silly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +