1 Replies - 1630 Views - Last Post: 04 July 2012 - 12:49 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

c++ game development vs. c# game development for 2d RPG

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hello. I am transitioning from Java to c++ to make a game with my friend. The structure is similar, so the problems I encounter are mostly syntax related. As I progress further into c++, however, I discover more and more problems that I didn't with Java; fullscreen on Windows 7, convoluted GUI, and other menial dilemmas. I have begun to think that c# would be better suited for the development of my 2d game. It is designed for the ease of game development, but c++ is said to have more power. I would like to know now before I get to far.

Another question I have is if it is possible to have c# code generate the screen (fullscreen) and everything else in c++? This would be a way to get the best features out of both languages and not sacrifice one entirely. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: c++ game development vs. c# game development for 2d RPG

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: c++ game development vs. c# game development for 2d RPG

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

If you know Java then moving to C# will be no problem. Also, if you go with C# you will have the XNA framework available to you. XNA makes creating 2D games a lot easier than either C++ and Java. It also opens up the possiblity of developing for the XBOX 360 and Windows Phone. It is trivial to make a fullscreen app with XNA, you just set one variable. You will still get a lot of horsepower with C#, especially with modern operating systems and processors. The difference will not be noticable typically unless you're doing some really heavy duty processing. I'd suggest giving C# with XNA a serious look.

If you're determined to go the C++ I'd suggest taking a look at SDL. It makes it a lot easier to create windows, though I can't say about fullscreen. stayscrisp has some awesome tutorials on working with C++ and SDL. Even if you don't go with SDL I'd recommend reading them. He gives you a lot of insight that will be invaluable when making your game(s).

There is also SFML but I haven't worked with it and don't know that much about it. A lot of people seem to be using it now. It is also supposed to make working with windows easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1