2 Replies - 380 Views - Last Post: 05 July 2012 - 04:41 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

AD Analyst looking to Learn C#: Specializing in GIS

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hey Guys,

I want to start out by thanking you for taking any amount of time to potentially help me out. I read through some resent posts that are similar to mine but I need specifics.

I have been in IT my whole life. I am only 25. My schooling background is in computer networks and I have been an active directory technician for just about 5 years.

When I was younger I tabbled into programming, Just real basic stuff and used to build pages using HTML basics until Angelfire and Homestead came out and were the craze.

I have a great desire to switch up my careers, even to just learn programming to do some on the side for now. I feel like with programming you can be alot more creative, that's what I love to do.

I started looking into Interactive learning sites online, found Code Academy and began to learn Javascript, Realizing after looking at your reference sheets that the coding they teach is the same as the coding in C#. Is that correct? I think I am missing the concept and thinking all of these different naming conventions are more separate than they really are. I love their website because it is very organized and the flow is excellent.

Not to bash this site or anything, the tutorials look great. I just find if it is not organized its hard for me to keep on track. And I am really motivated to move along here.
If learning Javascript is not the same coding as c#, could someone please:
A. Fill in my ignorance of the difference
B. Suggest another similar site that teaches c# in the same way

Also, I was told I should specialize in something when programming. I am thinking GIS would be best as there is lots of government and oilfield work available in my area for it. What do I need to study/master for this?
From what I understand, C#, .NET and JQuery...? Sound right?

I really appreciate it.
Thanks much,
Brad

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: AD Analyst looking to Learn C#: Specializing in GIS

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: AD Analyst looking to Learn C#: Specializing in GIS

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Don't try to architect a program while you are still learning the basics of C#. It just never works. Its like saying you are going to learn home architecting WHILE you hammer boards together without a blueprint, and try to learn both new skills at the same time.

First learn the language. Do a couple hundred tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.

Then later you can start architecting your own simple stuff. Build a calculator. Build a DVD library program. Etc. Stuff that doesn't involve the complexity of a game.

Then move up to games.

There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

Where do I start?

You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Mar 2012
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: AD Analyst looking to Learn C#: Specializing in GIS

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:41 AM

The difference between Code Academy and DIC is that Code Academy is a guided learning website, designed to teach you step-by-step in a consistent manner how to learn coding. DIC is a website for programming help, and is useful when you don't understand a particular element of the language or are struggling to get something to work. The tutorials here show you a specific part of programming, and few are intended to teach you in a "start-to-finish" approach.

My advice would be: start with Code Academy (or, if you want to learn C#, C# Station) then once you've learned the basics, take some of DIC's tutorials and learn further. Ask us when you need help. Help out people when you can.

Your question about "is JS like C#" the answer is that they share a lot of syntax features, but there are differences, and if you want to learn C# go straight onto that. The link I gave for C# Station should help (though it's not quite as pretty as Code Academy).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1