6 Replies - 1060 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Introduction

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

Hello,
I'm Tech2012 and I am new to these forums. I am a longtime C++ and Java programmer and a major technology enthusiast, but I am new to x86 assembly. I've been using the Art of Assembly book to teach myself assembly. Overall, I'm definitely enjoying learning a language that is much different than the lacking-in-variety high level languages. I have a few questions. One, I am learning how to write in Assembly using the Art of Assembly book (like I've said before), and I'm wondering if its age might mean I should try some other tutorials for learning assembly. Two, I am learning x86 assembly on an AMD64 processor instead of an Intel x86-64 processor. Would that change a lot for me in learning assembly, or are there very few differences between the two architectures (programming wise).
Thank you for welcoming me into the forums and I look forward to having more conversations soon!
Tech2012

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Introduction

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Introduction

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

Hey, welcome :)

Wrong forum by the way: Introduce Yourself :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

Oops! I'll go post it there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

One, I am learning how to write in Assembly using the Art of Assembly book (like I've said before), and I'm wondering if its age might mean I should try some other tutorials for learning assembly.

No, your fine with it. Randy actually goes in depth very well about the inner workings of the processor, memory, strings, etc... It is a good foundation to learn from. Once you get your "feet wet", go right ahead and look at other tutorials.

Two, I am learning x86 assembly on an AMD64 processor instead of an Intel x86-64 processor. Would that change a lot for me in learning assembly, or are there very few differences between the two architectures (programming wise)

Nope, no differences a beginner will need to know of. They both have 95% same instructions, the difference will be in the multimedia extensions and AMD has a few instructions INTEL won't and vise versa.

Now, 32bit is a bit different than 64bit. Prologues/Epilogues are different, stacks are different sizes. There are pinned topics on the Assembly Forum front page, one of them should contain links to the AMD and INTEL developers guides, both are a MUST have. If you can't find links, let me know and I will add them.

Welcome to the Assembly Forum on Dream In Code!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

View Postanonymouscodder, on 05 July 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

Hey, welcome :)

Wrong forum by the way: Introduce Yourself :P

In the future, please report threads so the team can move them if necessary. It creates confusion when non-moderators post things like this. Thanks! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 05 July 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

One, I am learning how to write in Assembly using the Art of Assembly book (like I've said before), and I'm wondering if its age might mean I should try some other tutorials for learning assembly.

No, your fine with it. Randy actually goes in depth very well about the inner workings of the processor, memory, strings, etc... It is a good foundation to learn from. Once you get your "feet wet", go right ahead and look at other tutorials.

Two, I am learning x86 assembly on an AMD64 processor instead of an Intel x86-64 processor. Would that change a lot for me in learning assembly, or are there very few differences between the two architectures (programming wise)

Nope, no differences a beginner will need to know of. They both have 95% same instructions, the difference will be in the multimedia extensions and AMD has a few instructions INTEL won't and vise versa.

Now, 32bit is a bit different than 64bit. Prologues/Epilogues are different, stacks are different sizes. There are pinned topics on the Assembly Forum front page, one of them should contain links to the AMD and INTEL developers guides, both are a MUST have. If you can't find links, let me know and I will add them.

Welcome to the Assembly Forum on Dream In Code!!!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! If you could find the links to the developer guides, that would be most appreciated! Thanks again for the warm welcome into the forums!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Did you miss the links in a pinned topic? Assembly Links
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -