1 Replies - 12115 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is it reasonable to pick N-Tier architecture over MVC?

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:01 AM

Hi folks,

I have to develop a application (Winforms-application) which is connected to a database within a enterprise-intranet.

As I want to keep the application ascalable, maintainable & flexible I a m thinking on which architecture I should use.
In this connection I stumbeled over the N-Tier and MVC Patterns.

As far as I got it the main difference between the two patterns is that MVC has a more triangular structure (Components can communicate with each other), while 3-Tier applications have a straight structure where each component (n) can only forward requests to the component (n+1).

So my idea would be to take the 3-Tier approach. Where the "Presentation Layer, Tier-1" holds the Forms, the "Business Layer, Tier-2" handles the information and logic between Tier-1 and Tier-3 and the "Data Layer, Tier-3" is connected to the database and works with stored procedures.

My question is:

Does this sound like a reasonable desicion to you? Because I read that N-Tier makes sence if you plan on running the single Tiers on different machines, which I do not plan to do.
If you think I chose the wrong approach, what would be a better idea?

Thanks in advance,

LaVeritas

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is it reasonable to pick N-Tier architecture over MVC?

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is it reasonable to pick N-Tier architecture over MVC?

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

Tiers are generally used to describe the physical location of the code. Layers are used to describe a logical separation. You can just as easily have a N-Layered application that provides a logical, rather than physical, separation of concerns.

Architectural Patterns and Styles

About half-way down is a section about "Layered Architectural Style".

This post has been edited by Nakor: 30 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1