5 Replies - 823 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

One FTP Account; Multiple Users, Restrict Individual Access

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Is there any way that we can use a FTP account (specifically) an anonymous one, for access to a specific directory that all our clients documents will be located in. The problem with this is that we need to keep all of our clients from gaining access to the documents of the others, while integrating the FTP access behind the scenes so to speak.

So I was wondering, if we could set up our login page to give each client's login information a specific session ID, or something, and the session ID enables access to their folder - since their ID is not that of anyone else' they will not be able to view anything from anyone else.

Clients only need to be able to view documents, and upload documents (not with the same file name to replace, just additional revisions in separate files; and only specific file types)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: One FTP Account; Multiple Users, Restrict Individual Access

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: One FTP Account; Multiple Users, Restrict Individual Access

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

What's the justification for not having an account per client?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

While the host does give us 2,000 FTP accounts - we have about that many cases, new and old, plus 20-25 new ones each week. The host won't boost us any, and the boss wont pay to have us upgraded.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

We've decided to not use FTP due to security reasons, more specifics are below.

We're looking for a web-based file browser which will allow our clients to interact with documents on our hosting provider without actually granting FTP access. We had been toying with ajaXplorer, and were very pleased with it, but we need something that stores credentials into a SQL database (we think, this thread will more than likely determine that)

Basically, we have all our client documents in individual folders specific to their case on our server. What we are needing, is to find a way to put these documents online for them to view and interact with, without too much of a security risk (ie, clients are limited to their own documents)

In theory, this is possible through a web based file manager.

The hardest part, is that we have to link each client's folder on the server (within our office - "File Cabinet") to something that they can navigate through our online interface. In theory, uploading the client specific folders to the webserver was best plan of action, but as we are always getting new clients and starting new cases we are needing to find something that we can automate to create new client accounts online and upload their documents to a directory that only they can access - all without true FTP access.

If i helps any, we have the Folder locations saved to the client information in a SQL DB hosted on the in office "File Cabinet"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Depending on how big or how many files you could store them INSIDE the database itself. as a binary array sort of thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

That won't be feasible... There's usually 10 files per client at approx 20mb ea.

There's close to 200 GB we'd be dumping on our webserver
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1