3 Replies - 2191 Views - Last Post: 05 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

• HAL9000 was an Apple product
  • member icon

• View blog

Copy language packs from one Windows 7 install to another?

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

I had a laptop, running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, that died tragically of a disk read error after a dog related incident.

Today I pulled out the hard drive, stuck it in an enclosure, and mounted it on my new machine, also running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. Strangely, I can access all the files, but if I try to boot off of it, I still get a disk read error.

But that's really beside the point. I plan to wipe it and use it as storage, but before I do I'm copying out the files I want to keep.

Now to my question: the old hard drive is from a computer purchased in Colorado, USA, so the Windows install is in English. The new computer was purchased in Pas-de-Calais, France, so the install is in French, and this has always been a big issue for me.

To switch to an English language pack, Microsoft says I'll have to upgrade or buy a new copy of Windows (which I'm not doing). There are free language packs, but they're not complete, so now my system is half in French, half in English (depending on where you're viewing it, the same folder will have two different names).

What I'd like to do is locate the English language packs from the original disk and replace the French language packs with them. Can you help me do that? What files am I looking for? Where should I look for them? Any tips? Warnings?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Copy language packs from one Windows 7 install to another?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Copy language packs from one Windows 7 install to another?

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

What about using a LIPS?

Language Interface Packs (LIPs). LIPs can be installed over any edition of Windows Vista and Windows 7, providing a translated version of only the most widely used dialog boxes, menu items, and help content. You can download LIPs from the Microsoft Download Center by using the links below. To install a LIP, you will need to have the required parent language installed on your PC. If your language is listed as "coming soon," it's on the way—check back here for updates.

http://windows.micro...loads/languages
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• HAL9000 was an Apple product
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Language Interface Packs (LIPs). LIPs can be installed over any edition of Windows Vista and Windows 7, providing a translated version of only the most widely used dialog boxes, menu items, and help content.

I installed one of those shortly after I got the machine. That's why it's half in French and half in English. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Okay - have you tried this 'offline' mode?

http://technet.micro...v=ws.10%29.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1