3 Replies - 732 Views - Last Post: 06 July 2012 - 09:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Asp.Net Web Page to VB.Net Service

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

I posted this in the VB forums already, but this may be more appropriate for Asp.Net

Hello All,

As a disclaimer, I am relatively new to VB and ASP.net. I currently have a ASP.net web page running on one server, and will have a Service (that simply searches through text files given a user defined critera) on a different server. My goal is for a person to input a search term on the ASP.net web page, have the web page pass the search term to the service so it can use it to search through the text files. I already have the search function of the service working so it is really just a matter of how I'm going to send this message.

I am assuming its going to be through Xml somehow but the only way I have been able to do this in the past it by using a third party messaging queue and have my vb service grab it off of that. If possible I would like to avoid this and have the web page send the search term directly to the service.

Thanks in advance for any help/ ideas,

bjorandb

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Asp.Net Web Page to VB.Net Service

#2 _HAWK_  Icon User is online

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Asp.Net Web Page to VB.Net Service

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

The way to do this is consume the service with your program, you make an instance of the service object and run a function that returns the results.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Thanks Hawk!

and doubly thanks for the link, I'm gonna give it a try!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

I tried this solution and it really only works for web services. and I should have specified I have a Windows Service. So, is there anyway to communicate a ASP.Net webpage with a Windows Service?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1