3 Replies - 6948 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Minor during Master's Degree?

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

When I was an undergrad, I had tunnel vision. All I was interested in was getting my degree in Computer Science and had no interest in anything else. The immediate results seemed good, I graduated with a degree and a job offer. But now I realize what I really missed out on.

Computer Science is, and will always be, my first love. However, I'm interested in learning more, particularly about mechanical engineering. I'm going to be transferring to a different graduate school soon, and I'm wondering if there's any way I can pursue this interest as well. Can you get a concentration in some other subject while attending graduate school or did I miss my chance by not minoring in anything as an undergrad?

These are questions that have been bugging me for a while but I don't have any answers. The faculty at my current school seem kinda apathetic towards me, so it's hard to get the time of day. What do you guys think?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Minor during Master's Degree?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Minor during Master's Degree?

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

Typically - no. Masters programs are considered hard enough that there's not a need to offer a minor. Sure you can probably pop around and pick up some electives or hell - got a community college for and associates degree if you really want to. Those are pretty short.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

You could always take the undergraduate Mechanical Engineering courses required for a minor. This might give you some relief from your (tough and grueling) graduate courses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

I got some advice from a professor who suggested that I might be able to find the things I need at my current university.

One interesting thing I found was Dual Master's degree programs. They're uncommon, but Bridegeport seems to have a really great one! I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but it certainly is an interesting possibility. One particularly interesting note is that a Master's degree at my current university is 30 credit hours and at Bridgeport I can get both degrees in 48 credit hours... it's a lot to consider.

This post has been edited by atraub: 09 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1