• +

19 Replies - 9873 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2012 - 02:11 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: I have to build an ATM simulator using c# need help

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 09 July 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

View PostSkydiver, on 09 July 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

As for the AccountNumber in the account class, do you really want to use a double? Most banks I know of use a string of numbers. For simplicity, you could just use an int.

Uh... No to the int, yes to the string. If you have an account number of 000222546 and you store it as any of the numeric types it will drop the leading zeros. You need it to be a string so it retains them.

so i should replace int for string on accountnumber?
and why do i keep double on maximum transferamount

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 09 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

The errors are self explanatory. It says it doesn't contain a definition for "InterestRate" because you haven't defined any class-level variable or property for "InterestRate". It won't compile until you do.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's a fundamental problem here: we're not a "intro to programming class" and we never can be. We can help you with specific problems, but what you're missing is the basic foundation. Go back to your instructor and explain to him/her that you don't understand and need help. Talk to your classmates. Find someone who can go over the book with you, in person, so you can understand what you are missing.

Because this will never work. You're throwing code at the wall to see what sticks. You make changes, but you don't know why, you're just trying and seeing what works and doesn't, and using us as an interactive compiler.

I'm going to allow this thread to continue, for now, but you can't just post error messages for us. You need to exercise a little effort on your own to figure them out. Most of them are in plain english, and are very self explanatory.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 09 July 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

(As an aside, I have no idea why your instructor wants the Bank class to inherit from the Account class. To me, they are separate concepts, but that's just me.)

i double chequed and yes it says BANK inherits from account

and sorry i dont mean to get my homework done..
i know i should be asking my teacher about this.
many things have changed on my life since i took this class and i havent been paying attention to this i cant drop out cause it will mean 18 k down the drain...
so i have no choice but to try and catch up.
i dont get it and im having seconds thoughts i shouldnt have taken this course
i work 40 hours i have 2 kids 1 more on the way mortgage car school all that added up makes alot of work

i apreciate the help thanks
moderators can close this thread
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

My suggestion is to not limit yourself to this course. You've paid the money so you're stuck. Unless you can go to the administration and point out this professor is not very good. I'll back you up on the idea that BANK does not inherit from ACCOUNT.

There are dozens of good "Learn C# in 30 days" type books out there that will teach you everything he's teaching and in a lot less time. You aren't limited to only his classroom for your education.

Where do I start?

You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Mar 2012
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 09 July 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

My suggestion is to not limit yourself to this course. You've paid the money so you're stuck. Unless you can go to the administration and point out this professor is not very good. I'll back you up on the idea that BANK does not inherit from ACCOUNT.

There are dozens of good "Learn C# in 30 days" type books out there that will teach you everything he's teaching and in a lot less time. You aren't limited to only his classroom for your education.

Where do I start?

You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Mar 2012
Spoiler

see untill this morning a class and methods werent totally clear to me.
with your exemple i get it now...and i see why is idiotic BANK inherithing from account

i still have alot to learn ...but i will,, no doubt about that..
im pretty good at things and i tend to learn pretty quick...this is bigger though!!!
i have messed with code before but was mostly repetitive

getting back at my project i need to make deposit and withdrwa the rest is extras...
ill limit my questions and thanks for the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +