12 Replies - 20458 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where do you go for freelance work

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

I have been freelancing/advertising web design on Craig's List. I do this mainly to get experience and spending money. The problem I contently keep running into is people are looking for something for nothing on CL. I've charge $100, which I realized I do way more work than that on a typical site and I've charged $500 and people have walked away. My last client and current potential client has been businesses I've walked into the store basically and talked them into building a site, after they said they wanted one.

With the economy slow moving and places I interview with telling me I need more experience I'm looking for more experience.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where do you go for freelance work

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Where do you go for freelance work

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

I need someone to help me on this project:

Looking-for-a-webgame-developer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostRedbird5, on 07 July 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

The problem I contently keep running into is people are looking for something for nothing on CL.

It isn't just Craigs List.

This is the most common problem with development/freelancing websites. Countries with an economy weaker than the US will take bids far less than US money. Also people don't respect or understand web development, & think it's all drag & drop & you have the next ebay or facebook. Even though it's discouraging, you simply don't want to land these type of clients, because their values are not in the correct place. Anyone that values their project will want it done correctly, not cheaply.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

You are right about people thinking this is easy. One of the classes I took this spring we talked about how people think web development is black magic. People don't understand computers and that's sad. There should be a computer literacy class to at least give people the basics like switching out memory and setting up wireless internet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

Did you visit oDesk or Elacne sites?
P.S. I guess I know a site that will solve your problem. Visit freelanceswitch.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

I have experience working on Craigslist (CL)but It is really bad experience. I find few clients from this but not long term relation ship. After this I have started with freelancing website like Odesk.com, Guru.com, Elance.com and Freelncer.com

Now a days odesk.com is sucking contractors, Elance don't have much work but Freelance is good for working. There are lot of clients and Joining more day by day..

I suggest you to go on freelancer.com. You will get response quickly on your job
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

I had a horrible experience with freelancer. After they bought out vWorker (RIP, one of the last good freelancing sites), they charged their fees on all of my pending payments from vworker. Then my at the time client was very unhappy do to the changes out of my control. I still completed that project which got feed, again.... While waiting to pull out that money (oh yeah, that was more fees), I looked around for some work. Found one I could do and bid my price on it and talked with the person about what I would do and how I would do it. After he accepted, we talked some more. Then he realized I would be using PHP and canceled the job without me having any say. He says it's not a PHP job despite me specifically talking about PHP before he accepted, and him posting it in the PHP category. I get charged a $200 fee, which takes away my previous pending payment of $50, making my balance -$150. My supports requests were replied with basically polite "f*** you"s.

Don't use Freelancer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

Its true that Freelancer.com has not good style related to payment and all things. They closed account with out any warning. But I have suggest for you. You can connect with Facebook that shows that you are reallman.

One thing more they commission deduction way is very bad, They deduct the fee when you win the bid and accept it. May be you will not work on it in future but they deduct it form your account what you have balance.

I suggest you that there are lot of work and employer. If you are good. You can move then as personal and outside freelancer.com

It is easy way of working
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostRedbird5, on 07 July 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

With the economy slow moving and places I interview with telling me I need more experience I'm looking for more experience.

With situations like this I typically suggest just doing pro bono type of work for a charity or something. No pay but you build the experience on the side while you work wherever you can. The goal behind this is that once you have done a number of websites and programming projects for organizations you will have the experience to essentially apply to full time jobs and show a portfolio of all the work.

It is not an ideal situation, but it works. As I have told many others before a portfolio is really critical these days. Potential employers want to see your work and how you can handle their projects with regards to time and budget. If you can show a website you did for the Salvation army and say "I did this site in 2 weeks, $50 dollars in costs and now they landed a $100k grant from the government because of it" it really shows something.

I have done this in the past and it really does wonders... especially in a slow economy. You have to keep one last thing in mind... the US economy is in a slump with 8-9% unemployment... that still means 91-92% are out there working. There is opportunity, you just have to be able to know where to find it. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Why not hit up the UK it job boards for remote work? :euro:
Their currency is stronger, so the pay should be better
For example http://www.webdeveloperjobs.co.uk/ has freelance work that pays well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

... because that site's a piece and hands out 'permission' errors like it is candy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

My point is that there are freelance jobs everywhere.
Not just the job boards bolted on to community sites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Yes.. there are websites everywhere for everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1