10 Replies - 1639 Views - Last Post: 22 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java or RPG IV?

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

After my C++ courses I have the option to either take the Java route or the RPG IV route. I'd like to know what would be more beneficial for me. I asked my Intro to Programming professor this same question and he said it's personal preference. He explained that taking RPG IV would make me a more well-rounded programmer (and that I SHOULD if I like my iSeries CL & file design class), but Java is more popular. What are your thoughts?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Java or RPG IV?

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java or RPG IV?

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

I've never heard of RPG IV before. Java is a mainstream language widely used in the industry today. You see Java EE and Android jobs all over the place. Take Java if you are interested in learning a language that is used in the workplace. If you want to learn an extra language for fun, the RPG IV course might be something to take.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

I've been leaning towards Java because RPG IV is very... archaic. Although my professor insisted that RPG programmers are still in demand, especially in hospitals. I just need some input before I blindly decide to take one or the other.

This post has been edited by totgeburt: 07 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

RPG was an IBM incarnation back in the late 50's. Saying RPG IV programmers are in demand is like saying COBOL programmers are still in demand. In their own niches, they are needed. In mainstream development, you won't really find them. I'll give you RPG IV was a revision from 2001 with more modern improvements. COBOL and FORTRAN have gone through similar improvements though. Or at the very least, you can work with them in modern development environments.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the direction :) Is there anyone who would vouch for RPG IV? haha. I guess I'm going with Java!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

After my C++ courses I have the option to either take the Java route or the RPG IV route.

Look at the content of the courses. You've already done loops, conditions, classes, etc in C++. Are these two other courses on the same level? If they are then you will find them incredibly easy and of little value. Once you have mastered the basics of programming, you want to be looking at things like data structures, algorithms and architecture.

If the choice is really between these two languages -- if the conceptual side of the courses are the same -- then I would go for Java. It's a shame because my instinct is to go for the most interesting option (which your teacher assures you is RPG IV). But it's so obscure that I can only imagine it's his pet favourite. There are certainly other interesting and widespread languages he could have chosen to teach you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

I'd say the Java route as well. I've heard of RPG before but never really heard of it used a lot. Java on the other hand is here and now and used a lot. With so many devices capable of running Java you'll find a lot more use for it. The general syntax will be the same as C++ so you'll be able to pick it up quickly so won't be as much of a challenge as RPG.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

View Postcfoley, on 09 July 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

After my C++ courses I have the option to either take the Java route or the RPG IV route.

Look at the content of the courses. You've already done loops, conditions, classes, etc in C++. Are these two other courses on the same level? If they are then you will find them incredibly easy and of little value. Once you have mastered the basics of programming, you want to be looking at things like data structures, algorithms and architecture.

If the choice is really between these two languages -- if the conceptual side of the courses are the same -- then I would go for Java. It's a shame because my instinct is to go for the most interesting option (which your teacher assures you is RPG IV). But it's so obscure that I can only imagine it's his pet favourite. There are certainly other interesting and widespread languages he could have chosen to teach you.

For my AAS in Computer Programming, data structures and algorithms is not on the class list. However, it is for my bachelors degree (which I'll be pursuing after I complete this ! ). The conceptual side for java and rpgiv is the same. Thanks for the input guys! I'm definitely just going to take Java.
Here's my "step plan" for my AAS (excluding normal classes):

iseries cl and file dn
sys dev methods
computer architecture
visual basic
adv visual basic
db mgt using sql
prin of comp sci
intro to programming
c++ programming
OOP w/ c++
micro electronics
trig
discrete mathematics
java (or rpg iv)
advanced java (or rpg iv)

This post has been edited by totgeburt: 09 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

RPG is completely useless. If you want to end up in a dead end job with no hope, then feel free. I've gone through the time to learn the language because my College believes it's useful (read, local companies paid them off to teach it...)

It's an archaic and convoluted language that has no place in the programming industry. It was invented by business men, not mathematicians or other programmers.

Java by and far.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

awesome. thanks for steering me clear haha. i'm glad someone with experience in RPG responded to this thread
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

It has forced whitespace and just absolutely ridiculous syntax. A programming language should be simple to learn the syntax of, intuitive in nature, and adaptable for those of higher skill. I believe one of the best examples of a clean language is Ruby.

Read one RPG tutorial and you'll see what I mean. My area (Joplin Missouri) is still heavily reliant on RPG and Cobol because local companies refuse to lay down the resources to properly upgrade and instead perpetuate their own antiquity and dig a deeper hole. They realize all the devs are retiring, and attempt to get Colleges to make these classes a requirement and try and poach students. All of this foolishness just because businessmen are too set in their ways to upgrade because it doesn't seem to be immediately profitable.

It's enough to drive much of any talent far away from the area.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1