14 Replies - 9644 Views - Last Post: 06 August 2012 - 03:27 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Swing importance? - A question for professionals.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hello,

I'm just wondering how often the Swing library is used in a professional setting? The only real exposure I've had to it is in a class setting or on my own to display some graphics that needn't be flashy or even good looking. Just wondering if it has some importance that is unbeknownst to me, and if it does, what's so important about it?

Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Swing importance? - A question for professionals.

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Swing importance? - A question for professionals.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

There was an app at work that was a Swing GUI on top of a large processing system. The next version completely dumped Java in favor of a thin client/web app type solution written in Ruby.

Client side Java is few and far between, if not completely dead. It's all about server side and even then people generally choose their favorite scripting language.

It's not a completely useless thing to learn as you get the basics of interface development, threading with input events, etc... but it isn't and hasn't been the "hot thing" for years.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the reply!

That's what I was thinking - it seems like there are much more lightweight languages/methods to use in order to produce the same desired effect.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

I use Java all the time -- the software I maintain has a C++ back end and Java front end. It works absolutely great for graphics. Although, this is software you can download, not something on an applet or anything. I think for large programs Swing is anything but dead.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

I've used Swing for internal applications, to whip up a quick UI - it's a useful tool.
I don't do client-facing stuff, so I don't know what the state of the art is on that front.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

We used to use Swing for a lot of client facing stuff from what I here (it was before my time here) and it seemed to work very well. One of my main jobs now is to port a lot of the larger client facing Swing stuff over to WPF with C# which overall gives you a whole better look and a hell of a lot of freedom (for Windows based clients anyways). For any other OS we still provide Swing based solutions, but they are pretty few and far between and not worth the work to upgrade.

We still use a hell of a lot of Java for the back end systems though (including a lot of smaller Swing GUI's), but not so much anymore for the front end. There are much better alternatives out there now. It's not that Swing is bad, it's not perfect by any means either, but it has filled our needs for years. But now for most large systems, it has a lot of superiors. For small apps however it still puts up quite a good fight.

In my opinion it's worth your time as it encourages you to actually code your own GUI's and not completely rely on GUI builders (which for Java anyway) are horrible horrible creations. It's quite a nice introduction to an event driven system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Have you ever seen the code that comes from MFC (Windows) GUI builders? Indecipherable gibberish. *shiver* From my experience, any kind of GUI builder destroys code.

This post has been edited by Zel2008: 25 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

I can't speak for every GUI builder out there, but the WPF and even WinForms designers for C# built right into VS actually do a pretty darn good job at it.

This post has been edited by Ryano121: 25 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostZel2008, on 25 July 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

Have you ever seen the code that comes from MFC (Windows) GUI builders? Indecipherable gibberish. *shiver* From my experience, any kind of GUI builder destroys code.

To play the devil's advocate for a moment, if you get your design right, you should never have to see that code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

Of course, but when do you ever make a GUI that never needs any maintenance at all? It doesn't happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

I don't know, I've never used GUI builders. Can they be edited with the tool that created them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thus why you should look for if you have to, a GUI builder that doesn't need special formatting or anything of that like (WindowBuilder Pro) and do a mixture of hand written/generated code and then format it however you'd like after you've got the basic form down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

Swing is good to know, but not used as much in professional applications, the reason mainly being Swing is heavy. For developers who need fast, good looking work, it is not the right choice. Take a look at GWT, that might be what you're looking for.

-RCR
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

Though JFX2 is going to be a competitor I'd think (That is if it ever catches on) in the java world, the downside being that people need I think at least 7u4 on the client to use it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:27 AM

Swing was on the way out 10 years ago, but I still occasionally see companies using it for old, internal apps. These says web apps seem to be replacing Swing apps. I'm sure it's easier to find someone who can create and style a great we UI. If that person also happens to be a Java developer and can do the back-end, great.

I've been hearing for years that JFX2 was supposed to be the Swing successor, but Oracle's cancellation of JFX Script was a setback. The JFX Java API only just recently got rolled into the JDK, so it may be a while yet. Everyone I've talked to has seen loads of JFX being developed...by blogger-developers on the internet. No one I have talked to has actually known anyone who worked on a project using it. Maybe that will change soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1