3 Replies - 1091 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2012 - 01:22 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Text based browser game

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

Hi all,

Many years ago I ran a football management game by paper with a bunch of mates at school, very simple stuff, and I'd like to bring it to (automated) life via the internet.

My question is hopefully simple!

All I'm really looking for at the moment is a quick explanation of the programs I may need to achieve this.

Now, I will be keeping this game very small scale, amongst only people I know, so security is not the biggest cause for concern. What I would like to do is use my home PC to host, and run the game.

I have basic knowledge of php, html, etc - and I'll sort all that out no worries - I jsut don't know if what I want can be done easily.

So, if you could be so kind, could anybody suggest software required to perform all of this on my home PC, and if you have a spare moment, maybe a quick overview on how and when they should talk to each other. Just a very basic idea is all I need to send me on my way :)

Thanks in advance,

Allan.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Text based browser game

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Text based browser game

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

View Postalfro84, on 09 July 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

Now, I will be keeping this game very small scale, amongst only people I know, so security is not the biggest cause for concern.

Doesn't matter. Bots will find hosted software like this, & will check it for security holes. If you value your time you are putting into making the game, I would recommend you change your thoughts on security.

View Postalfro84, on 09 July 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

What I would like to do is use my home PC to host, and run the game.

You would need to install a webserver such as Apache or IIS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Dormilich  Icon User is online

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

there’s a pinned topic about Web based Game Essentials that should get you starting.

View Postalfro84, on 09 July 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

Now, I will be keeping this game very small scale, amongst only people I know, so security is not the biggest cause for concern.

when you use the internet, this assumption is always wrong. be as paranoid as you can be about user submitted data as you never know, who will try to access your web game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Slice  Icon User is online

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

View Postalfro84, on 08 July 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

So, if you could be so kind, could anybody suggest software required to perform all of this on my home PC

It's easy to install and setup XAMPP in windows. It basically is a collection of Apache, PHP and MySql; including per-configuration which can be difficult when setting them up individually.

You especially don't want to overlook security if this is running off your own PC.

For a domain, you should look into something like DynDns, where you can set up a DNS domain name instead of having to give your friends an IP address to type in.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1