1 Replies - 428 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Web developing for 36 hours straight, Why?

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

Hello dear D.I.C members, I was watching a movie called "The Social Network" and this made me decide that i will create my own website. In this movie which is about the creation of facebook the developers sit down and do crazy coding sessions that are like 36 hours long and basicaly i wonder what a web developer do with this kind of time, Like they have a finished website what are they working on? Is it only design and user friendliness?

And also i want to get pointed in the right direction to where i should start when i want to create my website, Is it just HTML and CSS?

EDIT: I got my question answeared:
1) analysis: analyse what is it that's going to be made, create a basic demands list.
2) demands: what is it the customer wants, how should the page look like (as in what will the user feel like when being there) and what kind of functionality is expected.
3) design: based on the demands, here is where platform choices, how the functionality shall work and how the page should work is decided
4) implementation: this is where we do the actual webpage
5) test: is the implementation according to the demands sat?
6) deployment: start up the page and release it.

This post has been edited by TheCompBoy: 09 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web developing for 36 hours straight, Why?

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web developing for 36 hours straight, Why?

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostTheCompBoy, on 09 July 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

In this movie which is about the creation of facebook the developers sit down and do crazy coding sessions that are like 36 hours long and basicaly i wonder what a web developer do with this kind of time, Like they have a finished website what are they working on?

You could answer this question with simple logic. If it only takes 36 hours to complete an entire project, would Facebook have any need for more than 3,500 employees?

Is it only design and user friendliness?

No. Web development is far more involved than just design and user friendliness.

And also i want to get pointed in the right direction to where i should start when i want to create my website, Is it just HTML and CSS?

Again, it is far more involved. Web development requires scripting languages and databases, not just HTML and CSS.

EDIT: I got my question answeared:
1) analysis: analyse what is it that's going to be made, create a basic demands list.
2) demands: what is it the customer wants, how should the page look like (as in what will the user feel like when being there) and what kind of functionality is expected.
3) design: based on the demands, here is where platform choices, how the functionality shall work and how the page should work is decided
4) implementation: this is where we do the actual webpage
5) test: is the implementation according to the demands sat?
6) deployment: start up the page and release it.

So, you've got some steps to follow. Did the source of this information also give you a clue where to start? What languages to use?

Personally, I haven't done any marathon coding sessions since college. My old bones can't handle that kind of abuse anymore, but it's not horribly abnormal to see dedication to the level of insanity in younger coders. I think it's the initial passion for the art. But (in my case anyway) it passed in time, and while I'm still passionate about what I do, I've also realized the need for balance and a life beyond the code.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1