Good advice in hindsight?

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1374 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Good advice in hindsight?

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

Mods please moved to another forum if this is more appropriate. Advanced C++? or Software Dev?

I didn't want to completely take the thread Resistor color code (Takes in numeric values and prints color) off topic, so I'm starting this new thread.

Out of curiosity, if the the OP had posted his post #1 as saying something like "I am using Turbo C++, and have this program that computes resistor band colors. I would like to use colored graphics instead of text output." and then he attaches his code that obviously used Turbo C++ complete with calls to clrscr(), getche(), and other Turbo C-isms. Would busyme12srv still have gotten a down vote for his post #4? Would he have gotten an up vote instead?

I know that we all would be trying to convince the OP to move from Turbo C++ to something else because it'll set him up for future successes, but I'm kind of on the fence about the downvote for recommending looking at and learning about "graphics.h". On one hand it solves the problem. On the other hand, it's a dead end solution.

It's like somebody posting a question like "I flooded the carburetor on my engine. What do I do to fix it?". Do we tell the person, dump the car and get a newer car with electronic fuel injection? Meanwhile, somebody actually tells the person, how to clear the engine? Should the person who tells the person how to clear the engine deserve a down vote?

What if we later find out that it was a weed wacker? Do we tell the OP to get an electric weed trimmer and lots of extension cords instead?

What if we later find out that the engine is on an Cessna-152 instead of a car? Does the advice still hold to buy a newer airplane? For those who don't know, the de rigueur for that class of airplanes are engines that use carburetors and that it'll cost almost a significant fraction of the cost of a brand new airplane to replace the engine with electronic injection and have the plane recertified for flight. And to add to the issue, if an experienced C-152 pilot just jumps into this modified plane without prior warning of the modifications, now they will be confused because the standard checklist will have items about checking or setting the carb and the controls will be missing.

Or did I just completely screw up the engine analogy because the solution to move to EFI bypasses the problem?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Good advice in hindsight?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Good advice in hindsight?

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

This is more of a 'site question'.. moving there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Well a few things off the bat. First let's clear up - it's rep. It's just a number and a bit of insight someone may have on a person's commentary and that's about it. If you have a question on how one person voted (up or down) it's best to shoot that person a PM and let them answer for themselves. Indeed as conversations ebb and flow the rep movement of one post might be different after the fact.

Second, let me be clear - rep is that person's commentary. It's not like the forum as a whole has to shift to increase or decrease rep. That means speculating on rep is.. well silly.

Third - are you sure busyme12srv's post was because he was recommending graphics.h or that it was a barely comprehensible directive to go read more?

Now the formalities are cleared out here's my take on turboc++'ers in general. No.. actually I'll cut out a chunk of my wall of text.

No - I don ot think you analogy works here, but in general keeping up turboc++ is holding everyone back. Instead of just having legacy code floating around we have tons of new lines of code - from a legacy platform with legacy conventions, bugs, holes, etc - being generated without need.

At the end of the day - it's rep, which is individual user preference, a given rep may lose a bit of meaning as the conversation migrates, you might not understand why a specific rep was given, and yes turbuc++ should be discouraged.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the correction about rep. I read and understand your points and they are good.

I love your quote:

Now the formalities are cleared out here's my take on turboc++'ers in general. No.. actually I'll cut out a chunk of my wall of text.

:lol: I think a lot of us can write a wall of text about it... and go back and decide to delete it because it doesn't really advance the conversation.

As for the analogy, it was part of the reason why I specifically picked the weed wacker and the Cessna. The former because it is a relatively simple technology that doesn't need EFI and is sufficient for the job it does. The latter because it is well established technology that is still being used to train pilots today, involves significant cost to transition away from, but could also benefit from advances in present day technology.

(Of course, while I write about advances in technology, in skydiving although I have an audible digital altimeter, I still want my good old fashioned analog altimeter on my wrist. On the other hand, I completely trust my dive computer when I scuba dive and only take a quick look at the paper dive tables for a quick sanity check.)

You are quite correct that the vagaries of the choice of a user to give a particular rep really depends on what the user was thinking (and feeling) at the time, and it has to be quantified as a simple '+' or '-'. There are no thesis papers written and stored along side with the choice. :-)

Yes, I agree, if only we could move the TurboC++ers forward...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1