• +

28 Replies - 2185 Views - Last Post: 15 July 2012 - 10:31 PM Rate Topic: -----

#16 sepp2k  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please explain the scope resolution operator (::) & headers

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

No. You include the header file in the corresponding cpp and in every cpp file that uses the functions. You never include the cpp file.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Okay, that means you must rewrite the definition for the function you want to use in every file that includes the header.

I should look into makefiles, I guess.

But I still don't see why you would go to the trouble of working with headers. I can code C++ just like Python/Java/PHP/etc by including .cpp files (generally with classes). I don't see how it's any different. Are these languages flawed because they work this way? Is their compile time at a disadvantage compared to C++ header users?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostAVReidy, on 16 July 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

What you all are saying only makes sense to me if it's normal practice to include a header (almost) only inside of a .cpp file with the same name that contains method definitions. Meaning it must be normal practice to include the .cpp files when you want to use them.

Are you confused as to how the compiler finds the definitions? it sounds to me that you are. Well, if so, during compilation you tell the compiler about all the source files. For example, imagine that you have two source files, "main.cpp" and "source.cpp". If these were to be compiled in the most basic way with the G++ compiler, you might do the following.

g++ main.cpp source.cpp

Obviously, if you have lots of source files and a more complex build processes, this becomes cumbersome. That's where makefiles are useful, since they allow you to make a build more automated.

This post has been edited by Aphex19: 15 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 sepp2k  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostAVReidy, on 16 July 2012 - 03:30 AM, said:

I should look into makefiles, I guess.

You should look into makefiles, but you don't need them for this. If you just make sure that all the relevant object files are linked together, the code will work fine with or without makefiles.

But I still don't see why you would go to the trouble of working with headers. I can code C++ just like Python/Java/PHP/etc by including .cpp files (generally with classes). I don't see how it's any different. Are these languages flawed because they work this way? Is their compile time at a disadvantage compared to C++ header users?

Most of the languages you described are interpreted, so there's no such thing as compilation times there. In Java each class is compiled separately. So when you're compiling Java it works like c++ when you #include header, not cpp files. Also things like forward-declarations simply don't apply to Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

What are object files and how do I link them? I don't know shit about C++, obviously. And what's wrong with the following? Why is it slower to compile than the header method I don't know how to use?

#include <iostream>

class Program {
public:
	void go() {
		std::cout << "Hey\n\n";
	}
};

#include "Program.cpp"

int main() {
	Program app;
	app.go();
	return 0;
}

Thanks.

EDIT: I guess including iostream multiple times later on would be an issue you brought up

This post has been edited by AVReidy: 15 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 sepp2k  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Because every time any of the files in the project change, the whole things needs to be pasted together via #includes and then compiled as one big chunk of code. If you use headers, then if you change a cpp file only that cpp file needs to be recompiled - not all of them. That's what happens in Java too - only the class you changed needs to be recompiled.

An object file is the result of compiling a cpp file. Multiple object files can be linked into one executable. If you do something like g++ bla.cpp the compiler will create an object file and then link it into an executable. If you do g++ -c bla.cpp, the compiler will create the object file (called bla.o) and not link it. If you then do g++ bla.o it will create an executable from that object file. If you want to compile multiple cpp files into one executable, you'd either do g++ file1.cpp file2.cpp file3.cpp (plus flags for warnings, debugging, optimization, -o etc. of course) or this:

g++ -c file1.cpp
g++ -c file2.cpp
g++ -c file3.cpp
g++ file1.o file2.o file3.o -o myexecutable

The second one is the "proper" way because it's the way that allows you to only recompile those files that changed (and here's where makefiles become useful because you don't want to manually have to keep track of which files changed).

This post has been edited by sepp2k: 15 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Let's try taking a different tact trying to explain header files and not needing the .cpp file... (I apologize if this just repeats what somebody already said above.)

In the code below, I #include <cstdlib> so that I can call std::rand(). If I crack open the header file cstdlib, it doesn't contain the implementation of the function. Yet, my program somehow manages to get a random number. Your assertion that one needs to include the implementation in the program by using #include has just fallen apart.

#include <cstdlib>

int main()
{
    int x = std::rand() % 98;
    return 0;
}

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 15 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Meaning it must be normal practice to include the .cpp files when you want to use them.

No it is not normal practice to include a .cpp file. You normally add a cpp file to your IDE project, command line compile line, or make file.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

Say I have 3 files: Program.cpp, Program.h, and Main.cpp.

Program.h is just a regular header that declares a single function.

Program.cpp includes Program.h and defines the single function.

Main.cpp contains the int main() function.

How do I access the methods that were defined in Program.cpp? What does Main.cpp need to include?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 sepp2k  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Main.cpp needs to include Program.h.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Wow... just tried it (it works, of course). I thought this didn't work because it didn't in Qt, and I don't see how it works...

How does the compiler know to look for the definition in a certain file? Is it only legal to define a declared method once? Does the compiler just search through everything for this definition until it finds it? Nothing at all points to "Program.cpp," so I assume it must.

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#27 sepp2k  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostAVReidy, on 16 July 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

How does the compiler know to look for the definition in a certain file?

The compiler doesn't need to see the definition of the function at all. It only needs to know the declaration. The linker will find the definition by simply going through all the linked object files and picking the function definition with the given name.

Is it only legal to define a declared method once?

Yes.

Does the compiler just search through everything for this definition until it finds it?

The linker does, yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for putting up with me

:stupid:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

So I am going to but in to this conversion with some good pedantic TL;DR text (its kinda what I do).

Lets start with a simple program and compile it at the command line:

HelloWorld.cpp
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
   cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
   return 0;
}

We run this past our compiler and it creates an object file. This is what compilers do, they take source code and create object code. Object code is "nearly completed" machine code + a bunch of meta-data about what symbols were what (i.e. which code goes with which block of machine code, what variables are needed etc.. So the Compiler creates say HelloWorld.obj

So I bet you were thinking that the compiler produced you final executable - but nope. Not the compiler's job. The compiler just produces an intermediate format called object code.

THEN the compiler hands that object code to a LINKER.
The reason the compiler does not do this step itself is generally "separation of concerns" but if you spend some time in assembly language you begin to appreciate the problem the compiler has: It does not know ahead of time the expected memory addresses of functions/variables etc. because it has not COMPILED the code yet and does not know the size of much of anything. So the compiler is really crippled when it comes to calculating addresses and optimizing layout etc.

So the LINKER take object files and library files (a library file contains a bunch of object files) and some templates for how a particular operating system likes its executables/libraries to look and glues them all together.

The object files and libraries actually are very handy! The linker can take any number of objects and libraries from different sources done at different times and stitch them together into executables.

This means that you don't need to compile all your code into one monolithic file, you can break it up and compile it in parts. You only need to "recompile" those files that have changed. When you are working on a project with 100's of files this can be a life saver since compiling the whole project can take hours.

So header files "enable" libraries and object files. They give the compiler the information needed to use objects stored in object files (functions/classes/variables/structures etc.).

When you #include <iostream> - you are telling the compiler all about std::cout and std::endl so that the compiler knows how to use them to do:

cout << "Hello World!" << endl;

if you had not done the include the compiler would not know how to use cout and endl.

------

So armed with this basic knowledge of compilers/linkers -- why should you never #include a .cpp file? The compiler will probably not care one little bit.

BUT THE LINKER will. we have the following.

Main.cpp -- includes myUsefullFunction.cpp which contains the function useful().
MySupport.cpp -- also includes myUsefullFunction.cpp.

The compiler compiles Main.cpp into Main.obj and MySupport.cpp into MySupport.obj...

The Linker opens these two up and find code for the function useful() TWICE (once in each object file). So now whenever you used useful() you *COULD* be talking about the one in main.obj or the one in mysupport.obj.

So to avoid this: break out the declaration of useful() into myUsefullfunction.h and compile the three files:

myUsefullfunction.cpp becomes myusefullfunction.obj
main.cpp -- #includes myusefulfuntion.h, compiles to main.obj
MySupport.cpp -- #includes myusefulfunction.h compiles to mysupport.obj

The linker combines the three object files and no longer finds a conflict. Since you probably also #included some standard library headers the compiler will ask the linker to also grab some object code from libraries and so long as everything is in order the linker will generate your executable for you!
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +