Finding Time For Sports/Hobbies?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 3335 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2012 - 03:12 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Finding Time For Sports/Hobbies?

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

I only intern 3 days a week: monday, wensday, and friday, from 9 to 5. I know this isn't a lot, however after work, I feel physically (despite only sitting) and mentally exhausted, sometimes to the point that I do absolutely nothing save for vegetating in front of netflix. Usually I can suck it up and still maintain a fine routine, however, later in the summer, I have another internship scheduled on my two currently free days (weekends are reserved for sports and friends). I don't feel like I'm going to be able to keep up with everything when my second internship starts, which is concerning. I'm not even truly working yet, and I'm struggling to find time to fit everything in. I want to be some sort of programmer when I grow up, however I'm concerned about the lifestyle. To those who program for a profession: Is it possible, with time management and discipline, to do things which are considered to be of the utmost importance (work, keeping healthy family life, etc), or are there at times sacrifices which need to be made?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Finding Time For Sports/Hobbies?

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Finding Time For Sports/Hobbies?

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

POPULAR

I think this is a case of man the hell up. You're telling me you can't find time to do things you like and stay physically active when you work 3 days a week, 9 to 5? I (and I'm definitely not alone here) work 9 to 8 most days of the week and still work out every single day except the obligatory off day. I often read and work on side projects, and I also sometimes *gasp* get bored on weekends, even with social outings. It's about not wasting time on shit that doesn't matter. Get the self control to not sit on your ass all day after work. It's 100% discipline - do what you love, and don't spend your precious time doing things that you don't care about.

Get your priorities straight - there's always time to work on things; you just have to quit wasting time. Try working 50+ hour weeks and then tell me you don't have time, and we can talk strategy.

Those who manage maintaining a family probably have a different perspective to offer, but there it is from a single, male software engineer at Amazon.

This post has been edited by xclite: 09 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 9
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Postxclite, on 09 July 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

I think this is a case of man the hell up. You're telling me you can't find time to do things you like and stay physically active when you work 3 days a week, 9 to 5? I (and I'm definitely not alone here) work 9 to 8 most days of the week and still work out every single day except the obligatory off day. I often read and work on side projects, and I also sometimes *gasp* get bored on weekends, even with social outings. It's about not wasting time on shit that doesn't matter. Get the self control to not sit on your ass all day after work. It's 100% discipline - do what you love, and don't spend your precious time doing things that you don't care about.

Get your priorities straight - there's always time to work on things; you just have to quit wasting time. Try working 50+ hour weeks and then tell me you don't have time, and we can talk strategy.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I was just babying myself. Looking at it again, there are a lot of things I overlooked which take out a large chunk of my time, yet don't even matter in the long run, such as Reddit and Xbox. I can manage fine now, well at least I am able to pull it together when I sense myself slipping -- it was more the future, when things get harder, which concerned me, however you answered that question too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

i used to work 5am - 7pm ~ 5 days a week (in the military) and still made myself lift weights hardcore afterwards. throw out things that waste time, and allow yourself to adapt
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

View Posttotgeburt, on 09 July 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

i used to work 5am - 7pm ~ 5 days a week (in the military) and still made myself lift weights hardcore afterwards. throw out things that waste time, and allow yourself to adapt

Wow, very impressive. Yeah :sweatdrop: ... I really need to grow up
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

I feel physically (despite only sitting) and mentally exhausted, sometimes to the point that I do absolutely nothing save for vegetating in front of netflix.

I have to wonder what your diet is like? With the right diet, I find that exercise energises me for work and work leaves me hungry for exercise. They compliment each other perfectly.

However, in the past with the wrong diet I felt like you describe. I'd try to push myself by cramming in more exercise and wondered why, instead of getting fitter, I ended up being even more tired all the time. I went to my karate instructor for advice and she said with the training I was doing, I should be far fitter than I was. It must be the diet. She was right. I swapped McDonald's* for stir fries. You can cook a stir fry in the length of time it takes to go through the drive through. It's far tastier and you get several portions of vegetables in one meal.

* Ironically, I'm sitting in McDonald's having breakfast while I write this. I got porridge instead of a McMuffin meal though. A great way to start the day!
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

POPULAR

Not to downplay any of the advice you've already received (because they are all correct), but no matter what you do, there will be days when you come home exhausted. And being that you're new to all this, it does take time to adjust. But the big thing is you have to prioritize.

What is important to you? Because one day, you'll have a real job that will likely require that you work 40+ hours (in the case of coding, it is often the "plus") and somewhere between work and sleep, you'll have to find time to feed yourself, exercise, shower, do laundry, clean you apartment (mommy won't be around forever), maybe find someone and start a relationship... maybe that relationship blossoms and next thing you know, you have to make time for a significant other and kids. You'll have to find time for your friends and your social life, for your family obligations (dinner at your mother's, holidays at the in-laws, birthday parties for the kids, etc). As the kids get older, you have to find time for their extracurricular activities - Johnny has basketball games on Wednesday and Thursday, little Lola has 3 dance classes per week and soccer every Saturday, Zeke plays Little League and does karate... then there are chorus concerts, band concerts, field trips to chaperone, school celebrations to attend, all their friends are inviting them to birthday parties, they want to go to summer camp - and you have to be there for them through thick and thin.

Bottom line: one day you will lose friends. The real ones will stick by you, but most of them will fall away as you get older. One day, you'll bump into them in the grocery store and not be able to remember why you wanted to hang out with them in the first place.

Not to reiterate what's already been said, but you only find time if you make time. Life moves fast - and it only gets faster as you get older. Decide what's important enough to keep and get rid of the rest.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

#8 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

I do the m-f 8-5 and both my kids play sports such as hockey(all year round) baseball, football, basketball. Not only do I have to work I have to take them to all their practices and sporting events. On top of that I play hockey ----so whining that you work 3 days a week and you are tired is falling on deaf ears here.

I was a laborer prior to a programmer and let me tell you soemthing, nothing will make you as tired as doing physical work. So when I hear how "tired" an office worker is, I just laugh... they have no clue what tired is.

Now buck up bucky and take it in stride....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

Yup - this as everyone's put it - this is the real world coming down on you. At what - seventeen? eighteen? Things become more regimented - no lazy day summers (unless you are one of those fat cat teachers with their cushie jobs in their alabaster mansions on white pearl sandy beaches) and that does blow.

A lot.

It's been recently that I have stopped getting that antsy feeling around christmas and May (left over training from finals), but I sure do mournz the summer days of blowing shit up, watching Syfy mini marathons of Sliders, and generally causing hell on my bicycle. Wait until college comes in and you hit that first semester.. Ha. Teachers that overtly and actively scoff at you and say "those other classes are worthless you must do this metric ton of homework and just focus on my class! How dare you think about registering for more than one class!". You learn to manage time (or not) and get by.

As Corey Mason once said - there are twenty-four usable hours in a day. So learn to cut back sleep or let other things go. Then again I think she was a closet speed freak so best not take it to an extreme... mmm.. but she did rock the sweater/miniskirt/combat boot thing to an elegant degree.

At the end of the day - buck up and just manage time more effectively.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

View PostDarenR, on 10 July 2012 - 05:15 AM, said:

So when I hear how "tired" an office worker is, I just laugh... they have no clue what tired is.

Mobuis I have to agree with Daren. Once you try out some more physically demanding work, you won't complain as much about an office job.

The lifestyle takes getting used to, but there has already been a lot of excellent advice posted for you. I myself work 8-5, and every single day after work meet a friend of mine (we were in college together, now both work in different departments of the same organization) and we go to the gym. Often times I find that being at a desk all day gives me the motivation for that extra Rep, that extra Minute, that just a little longer push.

My (work) day starts at 7, and thankfully, ends at 7. After that I take care of business, eat dinner, read a little and enjoy the leisure time. Since coming into my full-time position the biggest fight I had was going against my natural nature as a 'Night Owl'. Every night I force myself to turn the idiot box off at 10pm, if not earlier, then I either read or just crawl into bed.

About 1/2 a year ago I was beyond busy.

College: 19-21 Credit Hours
Work: 32Hrs a week
Tutoring: 10Hrs a week
Side-Job: 8Hrs on Sunday
Web Design: 5-15Hrs a week
Resident Assistant: 24Hrs a Day

And all of that was without counting my involvement as an officer in nearly every club on campus, and in one, being a Chapter, District, and State Officer.

You truly just need to buckle down, figure out what is important to you, and manage your time wisely. Through all the pain and headaches that schedule gave me, I still look back and laugh at how when people used to ask me what kind of job I had, I would reply "Which one?!" :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Exercise and fatigue... Make exercise part of your day. Kill your car, ride a bike. Never take an escalator, take the stairs. Don't rely on machines to do what you can do for yourself, and that includes exercising for you.

Television... Your television wants you dead. Right now, it's just lulling you into submission, but if you're not careful you'll find that you've handed off your life to the entertainment machine. If you ever turn it on because you can't think of anything else to do, kill it and find something you want to do. If you really can't think of anything you want to do, you're tired. Sleep. When you get up, exercise, and then see what you can think of.

Work... you're going to do a lot of work in your life, for one boss or another. Raymond Smullyan says "Freedom is doing what you love. The Tao is loving what you do." He's got a point, but notice that his conception of 'the Tao' leads to his conception of 'freedom'. You don't need to give a damn about 'the Tao' to make use of this insight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

yesss the television. i haven't watched TV for more than an hour in one sitting(and only one day of the week - Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead) for like 5 years now. nothing good on anyway
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

/only reads OP

did someone tell this guy to stop being a little bitch yet?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Not yet, you should do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostMobuis1995, on 10 July 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

however after work, I feel physically (despite only sitting) and mentally exhausted

Stand.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +