2 Replies - 785 Views - Last Post: 11 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is it possible for a computer to play games of chance?

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Is it possible to load a programme onto a laptop computer which allows the computer to play games of chance by following an algorithm with no human interaction apart from changing the percentage increases in the algorithm when needed, if so how?

More specifically is it possible for a computer to play online roulette using an algorithm which allows it to make predetermined decisions on what to do? To simplify the problem it would only have to deal with the two colours and zero.

If this is possible how difficult would it be? Please note my field is not in computer programming and is in fact in medicine with an interest in maths.

Thank you to anyone who is able to help me with is request.

Regards

Dr P

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is it possible for a computer to play games of chance?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is it possible for a computer to play games of chance?

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Moved to Software Development. Please don't post help questions in the Student Campus forum.

If you are writing a program to play online roulette, are you working with an existing website or writing your own web application? For an existing website, you would want to use the API provided by the company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is it possible for a computer to play games of chance?

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

Gamblers who are following "A (Betting) System" that is supposed to garner them more wins, are basically following a particular algorithm or a set of heuristics. Computers are good at following algorithms or following heuristics.

Following the algorithm is only one part of the problem. The other part is interfacing with the gambling system. As macosxnerd101 has mentioned above, if it's an established system you'll want to use the APIs provided by the company. If they don't provide an API, the program may have to resort to page scraping to get the information it needs, and then HTTP POSTs (or GETs) to send out the operations it wants to apply.

The other part is the legality of it. Most gambling establishments frown on electronics being brought to their gambling tables. I suspect that the TOS of online gambling sites also have some fine print about disallowing the use of automated programs or 'bots.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1