12 Replies - 11888 Views - Last Post: 13 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Using PHP to deliver conditional CSS

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

I'm currently at a crossroads in my project. It involves CSS. And it involves the arch-demon of the web. Yep, you guessed it, IE. But rather than get bogged down with a particular problem, let's broaden the discussion to the concept of delivering CSS conditionally, based on the browser as PHP determines it.

I'll state firstly that this wouldn't be a topic worthy of discussion in the PHP forum if it wasn't for IE. Why? Because IE has a habit of doing the wrong thing when interpreting CSS. Take the following for example:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>
<style>
	.gradient
	{
		background: #ffff00;
		background: -o-linear-gradient(right, rgba(255, 0, 0, 255), rgba(255, 0, 0, 0)); /* for Opera */
		background: -moz-linear-gradient(right, rgba(255, 0, 0, 255), rgba(255, 0, 0, 0)); /* for firefox 3.6+ */
		background: -webkit-gradient(linear, right top, left top, from(rgba(255, 0, 0, 255)), to(rgba(255, 0, 0, 0))); /* for webkit browsers */
		filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#00ff0000', endColorstr='#ffff0000', gradientType=1); /* for IE */
		color: #000000;
	}
</style>
<div class="gradient">The big bad wolf</div>
</body>
</html>

Try that in Firefox, Opera, Chrome and/or Safari. Now try it in IE. Notice how all the standards compliant browsers show transparent fading to red, and IE shows yellow fading to red? That' because IE takes note of both the background attribute and the filter attribute. That plays havoc with the site that is trying to be cross-browser. We need to deliver the CSS conditionally.

Now, there is a function in PHP called get_browser() that can determine browser settings of a client. It gives output similar to below:
Array
(
	[browser_name_regex] => ^mozilla/5\.0 (windows; .; windows nt 5\.1; .*rv:.*) gecko/.* firefox/0\.9.*$
	[browser_name_pattern] => Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; ?; Windows NT 5.1; *rv:*) Gecko/* Firefox/0.9*
	[parent] => Firefox 0.9
	[platform] => WinXP
	[browser] => Firefox
	[version] => 0.9
	[majorver] => 0
	[minorver] => 9
	[cssversion] => 2
	..etc..
)

Great information, and something easy to work with. There are drawbacks to using this function though. An unlikely drawback is that a client can spoof their browser settings. A more likely drawback is that the browser settings are blocked by the client's firewall. As far as I know, both of these are definite possibilities that need to be considered.

A further consideration is the options we have available to deliver conditional CSS. I can envisage 3 possibilities:

1. Conditionally include files
Taking the example of IE requiring substantially different CSS, then we would require 2 different files.
Pros
    Easy to write the conditional PHP
    Simplest solution

Cons
    We need to maintain multiple CSS files
    If another browser comes along that requires special conditions, then we need to create another file

2. Conditionally comment out certain lines using preg_replace_callback
So we could also do something like this in CSS:
<%IE%>background: #ff0000;<%/IE%>

...and change those tags to be either empty strings, or /* */ strings depending on whether the browser is IE for instance.
Pros
    Requires only one file

Cons
    Moves the onus to the server, making it a code-maintenance issue
    If another browser comes along that requires special conditions, this complicates the code

3. Template the CSS, using tags and preg_replace_callback to deliver the CSS
So envisage a CSS file that has content like this:
#myDiv
{
    background: #eeaa33;
    border: 1px solid #552206;
    <%BorderRadius:8px%>
    <%BoxShadow:5px,5px,2px,0,0,0,0.3%>
    font-size: 0.8em;
}

...whose tags get picked up by a preg_replace_callback, which replaces each tag with browser appropriate text:
#myDiv
{
    border-radius: 8px;
    box-shadow: 5px 5px 2px rgba(0,0,0,0.3);
}

...or for Firefox browsers for instance...
#myDiv
{
    -moz-border-radius: 8px;
    -moz-box-shadow: 5px 5px 2px rgba(0,0,0,0.3);
}

Pros
    Easily extensible
    Easily maintainable
    Centralises any changes you need to make
    Allows the coder to wrap complex PHP-driven conditionals around the CSS

Cons
    Difficult to keep up to date with constant changes in browsers
    Obfuscates the CSS template
    Difficult to track bugs in your CSS

Personally, I like option #3, since it gives me ultimate control over how the CSS is delivered, and also allows complex logic. The prospect of having to keep up-to-date with browser prefixes is a very potential major pain though.

Feedback, thoughts, questions?

This post has been edited by e_i_pi: 10 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Using PHP to deliver conditional CSS

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Using PHP to deliver conditional CSS

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

To be honest, I wouldn't consider using PHP to solve this issue at all.

The first thing that comes to mind when considering your solutions is that, for at least the last two, you lose the ability to properly cache CSS files if they are being altered on a browser-specific basis on the server. The first suggestion, if done in a certain way, could bypass this, but in that case it would be no more than a clone of it's current client-side counterpart, so you may as well not bother.

The second thing is, as you mentioned, the unreliability of browser-sniffing. Especially on the server-side. You could never be 100% sure that the user-agent string you are processing is in fact valid, or if it will be sent at all. Any system that depends on it would never be as effective as client-side conditional comments.

The only major browser that ever really requires CSS fixes -- at least fixes that can't be accomplished in a single CSS file -- is IE. Luckily Microsoft saw fit to recognize this and provide us with the Conditional comments to deal with the problem. I've never seen any reason to avoid them in favor of custom server-side functionality that does pretty much the same thing.

That said, out of your three methods, I would probably go for #3. Except that I would try not to use placeholders. I'd just write the standard CSS styles and search through the text for lines to replace, using the standard style names as keywords.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostAtli, on 11 July 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

To be honest, I wouldn't consider using PHP to solve this issue at all.

The first thing that comes to mind when considering your solutions is that, for at least the last two, you lose the ability to properly cache CSS files if they are being altered on a browser-specific basis on the server. The first suggestion, if done in a certain way, could bypass this, but in that case it would be no more than a clone of it's current client-side counterpart, so you may as well not bother.

This is true, and a con that I hadn't thought of. In my particular case, it's not an issue, as the CSS file is templated anyhow, due to the fact that users can create their own skins for the site. But certainly, in terms of a wide solution to the problem of (primarily) IE, that is a consideration to take.

The second thing is, as you mentioned, the unreliability of browser-sniffing. Especially on the server-side. You could never be 100% sure that the user-agent string you are processing is in fact valid, or if it will be sent at all. Any system that depends on it would never be as effective as client-side conditional comments.

Yep, true, so you'd need to have a fallback option in the case of unknown browsers. Unfortunately though, that fallback option would have to be the verbose set:
css-attribute: blah;
-o-css-attribute: blah;
-moz-css-attribute: blah;
-khtml-css-attribute: blah;
-webkit-css-attribute: blah;
foobar: Microsoft.cant.follow.a.standard();

...in order to cover your bases. If you don't know what the browser is, you can't make any assumptions about it, and falling back to just the standards-compliant attribute won't cut it in most cases of CSS3, where there are very few truly standards compliant browsers even still.

The only major browser that ever really requires CSS fixes -- at least fixes that can't be accomplished in a single CSS file -- is IE. Luckily Microsoft saw fit to recognize this and provide us with the Conditional comments to deal with the problem. I've never seen any reason to avoid them in favor of custom server-side functionality that does pretty much the same thing.

The biggest reason to avoid that is that it applies to HTML only, not CSS. Which is painful. The one place you really need it is CSS. Which brings us back to the problem of conditional CSS :(

That said, out of your three methods, I would probably go for #3. Except that I would try not to use placeholders. I'd just write the standard CSS styles and search through the text for lines to replace, using the standard style names as keywords.

I thought of that as an option as well (using standard names), but I felt that that masked the fact that the style was being generated by code. I like seamless integration, but I've had my fair share of discovering hidden "gems" in code before, and I like to bring a fellow coder's attention to the fact that what I'm doing isn't by-the-book.

Another reason I thought using non-standard names in code tags is that you can fish out the tag content, and utilise class methods. I haven't got it on me, but I'm pretty sure the following code achieves this:
preg_replace_callback(
  '\<%(.?*):(/>.?*)%>\',
  array(get_class($this), 'LambdaReplacer'),
  $myCSS
)

private function LambdaReplacer($matches)
{
  $class = 'My\\Namespace\\' . $matches[1];
  $object = new $class();
  return $object::Render($matches[2]);
}

class myRenderingClass
{
  public function Render($vals)
  {
    $ary = explode($vals, ',');
    // Do your replacement here and return the value
  }
}

If you use standard names in your css, then you'll need to throw in a switch() in the call to LambdaReplacer. Not a big deal, I know, but it is something.

I guess the biggest concern I'd have for using the standard names, though, is that sometimes you have special conditions, like in the example I provided in the OP. In that case, you use background for compliant browsers, but filter for IE. Considering that there are different hexstring / ARGB formats between the two, and different effects from having a "fallback" for background, we need intricate logic anyhow.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

I often create a php if/then based style attribute, such as
<?php
if($browser=="ie5")
  {
  $somestyle = "background-color: #2371AF; some other attributes;";
  }
if($browser=="firefox")
  {
  $somestyle = "background-color: #1732FA; some more attributes;";
  }
?>
<html>
<head>
<style>
.somestyle {
  <?php echo $somestyle; ?>
  }
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div class="somestyle">asdfjkl</div>
</body>
</html>

that way, the code will change based on different conditions, such as the browser.

BlAzExHacker
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

View Poste_i_pi, on 11 July 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

The biggest reason to avoid that is that it applies to HTML only, not CSS. Which is painful. The one place you really need it is CSS. Which brings us back to the problem of conditional CSS :(

I might note that, unless you use CSS in a non-HTML context, which obviously excludes the use of browsers, you call the CSS from within HTML.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

Crap on a stick, I'm sure I used that format for commenting and it didn't work before in IE. Now it does. Urgh, why did I waste so much brain power thinking of solutions to this problem that doesn't exist.

You're dead right Atli and Dormilich, something like this:
body
{
<!--[if !IE]>
	background-color: #ff0000;
	font-size: 1em;
<![endif]-->
}

...is in fact honoured by IE even when in a .css file. I'll just quietly exit stage left.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

but be aware that this leads to problems in other browsers. HTML comments are invalid in CSS.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

View Poste_i_pi, on 11 July 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

You're dead right Atli and Dormilich, something like this:
body
{
<!--[if !IE]>
	background-color: #ff0000;
	font-size: 1em;
<![endif]-->
}

Whoa yeah, I wouldn't do that and I'm not sure it's what they were suggesting at all.

The point is that your CSS will only be used by HTML in the browserspace, so having conditional comments in your HTML to include conditional (overwriting) CSS file just for IE is not evil in any way.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

View Poste_i_pi, on 10 July 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

That' because IE takes note of both the background attribute and the filter attribute. That plays havoc with the site that is trying to be cross-browser.

Not to defend IE, but this is a completely bogus example. The problem here is simply a misunderstanding of how CSS backgrounds work.

The issue is that "background" is a shortcut rule. Filters in IE are a separate property from backround, so setting a filter will not override a previously set background color. When you set background: #ffff00, you're really setting background-color and implicitly setting background-image to none. Conversely, when you set the gradient via "background", you're really setting background-image with an implicit background-color of none. When you use filter, these implicit "nones" don't get set, because there's no override - it's a totally different property. In fact, if you do it this way, you'll find that other other browsers actually display the same thing as IE (at least, WebKit does - I'm too lazy to test in the others):
background-color: #ffff00;
background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, right top, left top, from(rgba(255, 0, 0, 255)), to(rgba(255, 0, 0, 0))); /* for webkit browsers */

View Poste_i_pi, on 11 July 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

...is in fact honoured by IE even when in a .css file.

Actually, no, it's not. When I tested that, the styles inside that comment weren't applied in IE, but they aren't applied in any other browser either. So that doesn't really do the trick.

Honestly, I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Unless you're stuck supporting very old versions of IE, the rendering differences aren't usually big enough to justify massive server-side processing. There are plenty of simple ways to do apply IE-only styles client-side. Personally, I find that just sticking to the well-known IE-specific CSS hacks is usually sufficient. This also has the benefit of keeping the IE-specific stuff right next to the "normal" styles, so that I don't have to remember to go check a different file for IE overrides every time I make a CSS change. And for the rare occasions where I can't properly target a known hack, I'll use jQuery to do the browser-sniffing and set some class to make the override easier. So, for example, on page load I might do something like:
if ($.browser.msie) {
    $('body').addClass('is-ie ie'+parseInt($.browser.version, 10));
}

Then, in my CSS, I can just do:
div.whatever {
   color: red;
}
body.ie8 div.whatever {
    color: blue;
}

This post has been edited by AdaHacker: 11 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Actually, no, it's not. When I tested that, the styles inside that comment weren't applied in IE, but they aren't applied in any other browser either. So that doesn't really do the trick.

I borked the syntax slightly. This does work cross-browser:
<!--[if !IE]> -->
<!-- <![endif]-->
...or...
<!--[if lt IE 9]> -->
<!-- <![endif]-->

RudiVisser has thrown up the red flag on this by the looks, suggesting (I think) using it in the HTML rather than the CSS. The problem I have with this is that it involves maintaining two different CSS files with largely the same content. This smells very bad to me, as bad as putting in those IE hack conditionals in the CSS file, and if it comes down to one bad thing vs another, I'll choose tha bad thing that involves less work when it comes to fixing it in the future.

Honestly, I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

I wish I was, perhaps a screenshot of FF13 vs IE9 will convince you otherwise:
Attached Image
Here's the list of issues with IE, for that screenshot of about 1/8th of a single page on the site:
  • Menu buttons don't have the bright trim on the top left border
  • Menu bar does not have rounded corners
  • Show Log button does not have rounded corner
  • General Information table headers do not have gradients
  • General Information table itself does not have a gradient
  • Icon Settings table header do not have gradients
  • Icon Settings table itself does not have a gradient
  • Cannot see the pale background image of the battleship
  • Expected Footprint just plain doesn't show up
  • Icon Image is incorrectly set 3 pixels to the left

Unless you're stuck supporting very old versions of IE, the rendering differences aren't usually big enough to justify massive server-side processing.

This isn't a very old version of IE. This is IE. It's a plain terrible browser. I've run tests on the server-side processing times, and they're very light (maybe 10ms to code-generate CSS).

There are plenty of simple ways to do apply IE-only styles client-side. Personally, I find that just sticking to the well-known IE-specific CSS hacks is usually sufficient. This also has the benefit of keeping the IE-specific stuff right next to the "normal" styles, so that I don't have to remember to go check a different file for IE overrides every time I make a CSS change. And for the rare occasions where I can't properly target a known hack, I'll use jQuery to do the browser-sniffing and set some class to make the override easier. So, for example, on page load I might do something like:
if ($.browser.msie) {
    $('body').addClass('is-ie ie'+parseInt($.browser.version, 10));
}

Then, in my CSS, I can just do:
div.whatever {
   color: red;
}
body.ie8 div.whatever {
    color: blue;
}

The problem I have with this (and it may be a small problem I should get over) is that it moves the onus of styling away from the stylesheet, and into multiple files in (6 months down the track) places I won't remember. I do in fact do some styling in my JS files, but very little. Most of it is inline when I have no other choice, for example when I'm retrieving an unknown hexstring colour from a data source such as a DB query.

I guess the reason I posted this topic in PHP Advanced rather than PHP is because it's not a question about a specific issue I'm having, but an issue that all web developers face, and whether or not approaching it from a server-side perspective has merits.

This post has been edited by e_i_pi: 11 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

View Poste_i_pi, on 11 July 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

I borked the syntax slightly. This does work cross-browser:
<!--[if !IE]> -->
<!-- <![endif]-->
...or...
<!--[if lt IE 9]> -->
<!-- <![endif]-->

You are only half right there, actually. The "NOT IE" syntax is a little different from the "IS IE" syntax. Basically, this is how you'd use the syntax to apply browser specific CSS within a HTML file:
    <style>
    html {
        <!--[if !IE]> -->
        background: #ffff00;
		background: -o-linear-gradient(right, rgba(255, 0, 0, 255), rgba(255, 0, 0, 0)); /* for Opera */
		background: -moz-linear-gradient(right, rgba(255, 0, 0, 255), rgba(255, 0, 0, 0)); /* for firefox 3.6+ */
		background: -webkit-gradient(linear, right top, left top, from(rgba(255, 0, 0, 255)), to(rgba(255, 0, 0, 0))); /* for webkit browsers */
        <!-- <![endif]-->

<!--[if IE]>;
        filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#00ff0000', endColorstr='#ffff0000', gradientType=1);
        <![endif]-->
    }
    </style>

The one that is used in browsers that are not IE has to be different, because other browsers don't parse these commends like IE does. It has be set up so that the comments don't actually block the styles, leaving it up to IE to remove if the condition tells it to. Other browsers just show the styles; there is no reason for them not to. The one used for IE, however, needs to do the exact opposite. It needs to block the styles naturally for non-IE browsers, leaving it up to IE to show them if the condition is right.

Note the ; behind the "IF IE" one. I found that if left out, the first CSS style in that condition will be left out. (Odd, but seems to work.)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

View Poste_i_pi, on 11 July 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

RudiVisser has thrown up the red flag on this by the looks, suggesting (I think) using it in the HTML rather than the CSS. The problem I have with this is that it involves maintaining two different CSS files with largely the same content. This smells very bad to me, as bad as putting in those IE hack conditionals in the CSS file, and if it comes down to one bad thing vs another, I'll choose tha bad thing that involves less work when it comes to fixing it in the future.

Your second IE-specific CSS file would only contain the overrides that you need, ie. resetting background to be empty (in this specific example).

This is a very very common practice to fix IE-specific bugs and can be seen in every website on the web (hint: hit Ctrl-U now).

This isn't a very old version of IE. This is IE. It's a plain terrible browser. I've run tests on the server-side processing times, and they're very light (maybe 10ms to code-generate CSS).

I would disagree with this, it's not a plain terrible browser and in fact the later versions of IE had less quirks than Firefox versions at the same time (anybody remember Firefox's "wonderful" float: right bug?!). The most recent versions of IE (9/10) are brilliant in most ways and I almost use it (10) as my primary browser next to Opera.

Anyway, with regards to the tests being light, yes of course, but it's yet another PHP process to be forked depending on how your server is setup, and under load that's 1*[request-count] extra, 100 visitors would no longer spawn 100 PHP processes but 200, and even though it would normally complete quickly, under such load they would take time and could eventually lead to resource starvation. Of course, it's a very farfetched example, but you see my point, it's not always going to perform the same and could be scalability issue.

What you can do client side, you should do. Including an IE specific stylesheet is not a burden and is completely transparent as you would literally just be overriding the few things that cause problems, not maintaining an entire stylesheet just for IE.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

View Poste_i_pi, on 11 July 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

I wish I was, perhaps a screenshot of FF13 vs IE9 will convince you otherwise:

You know what? In the grand scheme of things, that screenshot really isn't so bad. I don't see anything there that would actually stop you from using the page. Granted, there are a lot of issues in your list, but none of them look terribly difficult to fix. You could probably knock all those out in a day or less. Heck, most of them aren't even "must-fix" issues - just letting IE not have rounded corners and background gradients is perfectly fine in many cases.

I guess the reason I posted this topic in PHP Advanced rather than PHP is because it's not a question about a specific issue I'm having, but an issue that all web developers face, and whether or not approaching it from a server-side perspective has merits.

That's a valid question. And no, I don't think there's much merit to server-side approaches. Something like the template approach you described is fine, and it definitely has some value, but not in the area of browser compatibility. The problem is that it only solves the easy issues - like the amount of boilerplate code you have to write for things like background gradients. And while that's fine, it's more of a nice-to-have than a compelling reason to adopt a new approach. Templating can't address the real productivity sink of browser differences these days, which comes in the interactions between different rules and different elements. To really do that, you need something that has knowledge and control of both the styles and markup for page elements and can abstract away the differences. So, for example, something like ASP.NET server controls - which are not without issues of their own.

View PostRudiVisser, on 12 July 2012 - 05:07 AM, said:

Of course, it's a very farfetched example, but you see my point, it's not always going to perform the same and could be scalability issue.

Actually, that's only true in the naive implementation. If you actually wanted to scale something like this, you'd obviously have to pre-generate all the browser-specific stylesheets, serve them as static files, and use browser-sniffing to link in the appropriate one. That would eliminate any processing time concerns and, more importantly, allow you to offload your stylesheets to a CDN.

But overall, you're correct - this approach isn't as simple as it sounds. There are still trade-offs to be made.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1