• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 3638 Views - Last Post: 13 July 2012 - 05:04 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

starting a new job

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hi,

I had a very bad experience at my previous job. It seemed like my manager decided to get rid of me, after I had worked there 10 years with no real problems. In the past 2 years, no matter what I did, he said it was no good. He started giving me very bad performance reviews, obviously building a case for firing me.

I decided to look for another job, and as soon as I found one I quit the old job. I am going to start the new job in a couple of weeks. I am realy burned out from the way I was treated the last couple of years at the old job.

I wonder if anyone has any advice about how to start a new programming job in a positive way. I did very well at the interview and they have a great opinion of me so far. I would like to keep it that way.

Are there certain things to watch out for in the first weeks of a new programming job?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: starting a new job

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: starting a new job

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

So you're asking "How do I get through life and the real world with a positive attitude?" ??? Really? Do we have a user that goes by "Dali lama" with all the secrets to life?

Self help books... See a shrink... Drink more... Use your down time to do things you enjoy... Recognize that work is just a way to pay for groceries and not your entire life... Spend more time at the gun range... Roller skating.... Hiking mountains and taking photos...

I mean, really, how is anyone not living in your brain supposed to know what makes you happy?

Personally, all jobs are the same only different. Unless you own the company (and sometimes not even then) you're still a grunt. You will get along with some but not all. So suck it up. Leave the job behind when you leave your desk and find meaning for life someplace other than at your workplace. Its just a means to an end: Its how you put a roof over your head and food on the table and nothing more.

And if you're still looking for the meaning to life after all that the answer is......

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 10 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Yes I certainly see what you mean toq. I am not expecting to love any job. What I want to do is survive there without too much misery. I am not looking for the secret of life, just some tips on how to make a good impression at the beginning of a new job.

I plan on switching to freelance in a couple of years anyway. I want to survive at this job for 2 years. In the past year at the old job, I hoped I would get killed in a car accident on the way to work on Monday mornings.

The old job was ok, or at least not a nightmare, for 10 years. That's all I am looking for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

survive there without too much misery.

I can say that right there is a bad step. Too much baggage. I don't know how much time you have had between jobs but leave it at the door. Old ways are old and now you can embrace this with vigor of the un-repressed. Trust me - after getting canned from a gig for offshoring there's baggage to be had, but I didn't take it with me. I knew where to assert myself to not fall into the negative pit of the last place...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 10 July 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

survive there without too much misery.

I knew where to assert myself to not fall into the negative pit of the last place...

Ok, that's what I want to know. How to not fall into anything negative. The main thing is, I think, try to do a good job. But is that enough? Someone told me I have to bake cookies and bring them to the office, but that just is not me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

my last 2 years in the military, the guy directly in charge of me treated me and another Marine like shit, and he would post sticky notes all over his office saying "goal #1 - to get (totgeburt) NJP'ed and reduced in rank << endl; << goal #2 - to get (my friend) NJP'ed and reduced in rank". just a total dick. i was a really squared away Marine, as was my friend. it was some kind of personal vendetta. i think it was because he was 5'5 and fat and i am a handsome young muscular man. anyway... he gave me a severely bad impression as i was leaving that job. i had a poor outlook just as you do. brought it home with me every day.. shit was bad. then i get a job in the civilian world and it was a total turn-around. just know that things arent always a certain way. and if they are not what you expect, leave it at work and come home with a clean slate and enjoy your off-time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

View Posttotgeburt, on 11 July 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

i think it was because he was 5'5 and fat

Hey, people can be faulted with their weight but they can't grow more if they want to, not their fault. :)

To the thread poster, enjoy your new job, breath the fresh air of a new working environment, and do the best you can so your next manager wouldn't end up like the last one.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 11 July 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

View Posttotgeburt, on 11 July 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

i think it was because he was 5'5 and fat

Hey, people can be faulted with their weight but they can't grow more if they want to, not their fault. :)

To the thread poster, enjoy your new job, breath the fresh air of a new working environment, and do the best you can so your next manager wouldn't end up like the last one.

trust me, i wish i was shorter. it'd make me a better weightlifter. there's nothing wrong with being short :) he just had a short man syndrome
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

Oh, this?

http://en.wikipedia....apoleon_complex

Well, you can't really do anything against those people especially in your field. I've had some experience with the military too and I had to leave.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 11 July 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Oh, this?

http://en.wikipedia....apoleon_complex

Well, you can't really do anything against those people especially in your field. I've had some experience with the military too and I had to leave.

Doesn't sound like a pleasant experience haha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

Well, I was in the running for a kinda high position from where I was in, but I quit. The main reason is I left because there are conflicts between my direct superiors and their superiors. I don't like it when we go behind another person's back. So I left. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

We never know when our direct supervisor might turn wicked. And we may never figure out the reason. It can be envy, or the need for a scapegoat, or who knows what.

My supervisor was not afraid to lie about it me, and he lied a lot. He wanted his boss to think I was dumb and useless.

He worked hard at getting rid of me, and I think he had planned it 2 years before. It did not matter how nice and agreeable I was, it did not matter how much I learned or improved my work.

I got better, and my performance reviews got worse.

It was like going to work in a mine field every day, never knowing what stupid excuse my boss would find for trashing me.

He had me half convinced that I am no good at programming and too old to learn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hey, no one knows you better than yourself. Good thing you decided to leave. I bet your new job will have better people than the last one you went into. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Though sometimes it is tedious, I get the most enjoyment out of my job when I'm taking breaks between programming and interacting with my supervisor/coworkers. Even just "How was your weekend", start up a conversation and get to know people. You don't want to be the new guy who doesn't talk to anyone.

I was having some major issues one day with a VB.NET application and someone suggested asking this guy across the hall in a different department. We got it squared away, started chitchatting, and now i have a work friend/someone I can go to for help.

Do the job, try to have fun, and go home to relax. Sorry to hear about your previous position :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 12 July 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

I get the most enjoyment out of my job when I'm taking breaks between programming and interacting with my supervisor/coworkers.

Translation:
I get the most enjoyment at my place of employment when I'm not working and just bullshitting with people on company time.

Wow... What a surprise. Anyone else out there find it more enjoyable at work when you aren't actually working?

Let me award you the "Captain Obvious" award.

<laugh> Hey, no hard feelings - just fraking with ya.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +