• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1836 Views - Last Post: 17 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Learn to program?

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

I couldn't help but throw my two sense in.

Asking what language to learn is like an aspiring musician asking what instrument they should learn first. They are going to learn them all eventually and every instrument helps with all other instruments. Each programming language helps will all other programming languages.

Don't focus on the language but the structure. Think about why you built your program the way your building. On every data structure I should be able to ask you why you built it that way and you should have an argument for why your code is structured the way it is (and not just because its the only way I could think of). If you can only think of one way, then when you finish start the project over and purposesly decide to implement it a different way even if it sucks just for learning purposes.

Personally for my learning style I find I have to both short term and long term objectives. If you are totally stuck, volunteer your time to implement a feature of an open source project. You will be forced to really learn how to program and you will give something to the community.

Salindor
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Learn to program?

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Stick with Java to get a good foundation. It's C-like, so you'll have no trouble transitioning to tons of other languages. Also, it's not as low level as C/C++, so you don't have to worry about things you're not trying to learn. With Java you should also see yourself picking up the 'object-oriented way' of doing things, which can't really hurt. Although I personally hate the language, I would also recommend learning Ruby if you want something higher level that's more dynamic. At this point it's not very useful unless you're a web programmer, but I think it would be great for learning.

Have fun!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +