2 Replies - 938 Views - Last Post: 11 July 2012 - 02:12 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Multi-Client Status App

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

Ok, so I'm in the planning stages of this and I'm looking for input on the best way to do it. I support a call center. The phone application was a little lacking so I wrote an app to deal with one of its major issues, that being others being able to see the status of a particular agent. We have 46 agents within a room with 2-3 supervisors and its sometimes hard to see if a person is on a call or not. So I wrote an app that scans the screen, checks certain pixels and changes the text and color of a box in the upper right hand corner. Whether it be READY, NOT READY, ON CALL, etc.

What I'd really like to do is turn this into a multi-client/server app where each client reports to a central server that displays the status of each person. This app would be useful for our supervisors for at-a-glance checking and it would provide input to our banner boards placed throughout the room. These would display # of agents ready, not ready, on call, etc.

I've been researching this quite a bit and I've found an insane amount of tutorials that create a Chat system via Winsock or sockets. I've also thought of each app creating an XML, which the server would read from. I'm relatively new to VB, at least to the newer versions so I'm looking for some input from those with more knowledge that I.

I'm using VB 2010. I'm currently doing some research into sockets so I can start writing some code. Can anyone point me in a direction that they would go to complete this task? Not looking for code, just suggestions as to how you would approach the issue.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Multi-Client Status App

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Multi-Client Status App

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Hmm.. that's one hell of a kludge. Doesn't your phone routing system have an api you can tap into? I have typically seen the phone system being the preferred route - you know because they track call time, who's available, etc..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Multi-Client Status App

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm quite sure the phone system does have an API I could tap into, however they're telling me it doesn't exist. There is an Agent Status screen inside the phone app, but its alot of information in a small area and not easy to read at a glance. They have a status app, but it doesn't display info the way we need it to. Its a queue based system, so it will tell us there are 5 agents ready in queue 1, 5 in queue 2 and 5 in queue 3, all taking up alot of desktop space, when in fact they are all the same 5 people. We just need something simple that says across the entire system we have 5 agents ready. Our old phone system did it that way and we're having a bit of vendor remorse now that we have the new system installed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1