3 Replies - 1221 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Migrating a large Coldfusion website over to Drupal *xx@##xx!*

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

Just throwing this out there to get some feedback.
I am a Web Developer with 10 years experience in both front and backend development. Five months ago I was hired full time as the corporate Web Developer for a company that currently has a large (over 20,000 files), well established ColdFusion website that gets over 45,000 Unique visits per month and currently has between 18,000 and 20,000 back links.
The company wants to go e-commerce and has been sold on the idea of migrating the site over to Drupal!
Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Migrating a large Coldfusion website over to Drupal *xx@##xx!*

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Migrating a large Coldfusion website over to Drupal *xx@##xx!*

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:44 AM

Posted Image

Seriously though, that sounds like a monumental task. I worked with CF last 15 years ago, when it was really new. I don't know Drupal, but unless CF has changed considerably, I don't envy you a bit.

Sorry I don't really have anything constructive to add....just condolences :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

As I stated in this post, I have only been with the company about 5 months so I'm not sure how much input I will have in this decision to migrate the site to Drupal. From what little I know about this decision, the main reason to use Drupal was because the company wanted the website to become an e-commerce site. Iím not sure what that has to do with Drupal but it should be interesting to find out what mind-set is going on here! The up-keep and maintenance of the current CF website has been lacking for a few years now, so there is quit a bit of work to be done to clean up the site. But it still seems to me that instead of handing this well established ColdFusion website with over 10,000 pages to an outside company called Drupal Connect, the more logical way to go is to clean up the existing site and then set up a CF shopping cart. Did I mention the MS sql Server database with over 75 tables containing over 200,000 records!

I canít speak for others, but as a web developer, working with any CMS like Drupal or Joomla is like working with my hands tied behind my back. Because the CMS does the coding behind the scenes, itís so much more difficult to figure out what the issue is when something goes wrong (and things will go wrong!). Not to mention the huge affect this will have in regards to the 1000ís of back links and bookmarks and the over 40,000 unique visits per month we receive now. Does anyone else out there think this may be a huge mistake for this company?
So whats your take on this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Meh.. it's not that bad. I've worked with CMSs off and on over the years and after you get over the hump about "oh noes it is writing da codez" and focus on template modifications, plugins, and what not it's good stuff. Not to mention off loading the content update responsibilities to other person in the company is nice.

Though with that much content it will be a task.. then again with that much content switching up the system at any level will be a herculean task.

Just don't flip the production switch until it is well vetted on the test servers by all levels of the company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1