2 Replies - 826 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2012 - 02:27 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Browser Based Game - What to Use?

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

I'm new to this forum, but seen many threads from it so I thought someone may be able to help!

I'm trying to make a browser based game. A game like Evony, but with a different story, a little bit of a different concept etc.

I was wondering what language would best suit something like that. I've already got the website design down (Mostly with PHP, HTML5, and CSS3), but now I need the game. Any tips?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Browser Based Game - What to Use?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Browser Based Game - What to Use?

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

The advice from the following threads is relevant:
What Do I Need to Learn to Make Online Games Like Mafia Wars
Web Based Game Essentials
Want to make a web-based game?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Browser Based Game - What to Use?

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

This will really depend on what you want to depend on. If you want it to work well on mobile devices then you are pretty much stuck to using HTML5, Javscript and CSS3. However, if you want to only worry about more powerful devices, then you get a few more options.

You could use a Java Applet, though that requires that the user has Java installed.
You could use flash, though that requires that the user has flash player installed.
You could use Unit3D web-player, but that requires that the user has the unity3d web-player installed.

I think you get the picture.

Many games out there are written in Java or Flash, but people seem to be moving away from those. Sure, flash games are still all over the place, and you can find a java applet game here and there, but that isn't to say they are all the rage these days. Personally, if you were going to decide between these two I would go with flash, but that is because I am not a fan of Java.

The new kid to the party is Unit3D's web-player, which allows you to write your game in a form of Javascript, C#, or a form of Python and offers a pretty nice 3D game engine (though 2D pretty much sucked when I was using it -- It was still 3D, but you had to bind things to the X, Y planes and that caused their physics engine to freak out if something went wrong anywhere). It does make it really easy to get meshes imported and draw 3D things all over the place, and offers a lot of nice game functionality to help expedite your development.

If you really wanted a 3D game and it to be working quickly (and were willing to put up with quirks) I would suggest looking into Unity3D (plus it allows you to release for PC and Mac without needing to purchase anything either, so you could easily transfer your game to a desktop game instead of browser-based).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1