6 Replies - 1300 Views - Last Post: 15 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

advice needed

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

hi all,

its my first time looking for a server so I dont really know what to look for and what are advantages/disadvantages?

I want it safe so one one upload some shit out there without me knowing it
I want it for at first small page - my holidays photos etc than I want to make it my portfolio / my own website
I want have possibility to host let say two/three different websites on same server (a not complicated javascript css websites? holiday+myweb+myfrend website -is it possible?

it doesnt have to be free as I am aware of adds etc so I want plain web with my stuff only but because its just for me getting to know all these webmastering I want to keep it let say under 10-15euros a month.

Will appreciate any thoughts and recommendations!

This post has been edited by monstratonis: 13 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: advice needed

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: advice needed

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:24 AM

You don't need a server.

Shared hosting will do just fine for you, and can be extremely cheap (talking just over €15 for a year!). From the sounds of it you're not going to have much traffic (this isn't personal of course) so shared hosting will do just fine.

It's going to be secure as long as your passwords are secure.

If you really want to go down the server route so you have more control, start off with a small VPS as you will not realise any benefit at all from a physical dedicated box. You can always scale the VPS up too, normally instantly.

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 13 July 2012 - 03:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:51 AM

I think, you dont want to worry as long as ur password is secure. If you dont know how a web server works, install some free webserver locally and check how webserver is operated. such as apachee php

When you are buying a server just check what features they allow and disable such as curl in php( somting I needed and they didnt enable it for so call security reason)

Aprt from that check for reliability and price.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

hi RudiVisser...

View PostRudiVisser, on 13 July 2012 - 03:24 AM, said:

You don't need a server.

Shared hosting will do just fine for you, and can be extremely cheap (talking just over 15 for a year!).

can you recommend some sites?
i found some in UK but VPS costs from 17 to 27 and more per month so 15 a year sounds like the deal :)

From the sounds of it you're not going to have much traffic (this isn't personal of course) so shared hosting will do just fine.

yes its going to be first website, just want to have some website online and play around/design more in free time - and there will be really really small traffic :)
so low costs are key here...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

I'm very begrudged to suggest a shared hosting provider, especially these guys, but check out the Business package. You're getting PHP/MySQL hosting (which is all you should be worried about really, provided you're going PHP route!) for 4.99/month, so should be good :)

That's UK based, of course, if you go American you can get it cheaper. Now one thing I would say is don't be expecting too much here in terms of support, I normally class shared hosts as something you would get and use then throw away. Maybe it's just my personal experience with all shared hosts or maybe I'm just too demanding ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

Basically there are three types of hosting:

Shared
You don't directly access the server and the hosting company offers you some application servers (PHP, ASP.NET, etc) and you access the server through FTP or some web based interface like cPanel. You also configure your server through this interface and normally you can't configure much (really basic configuration available). This is the cheapest one and the less powerful. It's great for simple stuff since you won't have to configure much and it's really cheap. I would recommend famous hosting companies like hostgator, namecheap, godaddy, etc.

VPS
VPS is a virtual server. The price varies according to processor, RAM, disk space and bandwidth. You have full access to it, but it is less powerful if compared to a dedicated one. Unlike shared hosting you have full access to it (normally through SSH, but you can enable something else if you wish) and you can fully configure/install pretty much anything. It's more expensive then a shared hosting but it's somewhat cheap considering that you have a variety of configuration and that you can do "what the hell you want to" compared to a shared hosting. I recommend prgmr.com.

Dedicated
Similar to VPS, but it's an actual physical machine dedicated to you. Way more powerful but also much more expensive. I don't know what to recommend myself, but I worked for companies that had servers from softlayer and amazon.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

American hosting here, I use 3ix and have had good results. something like 10 USD / year for their basic package.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1