3 Replies - 1513 Views - Last Post: 22 July 2012 - 03:45 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to import from excel to database?

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

How to import from excel to database?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to import from excel to database?

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: How to import from excel to database?

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

you can save file to common forman that both support I mean database and excel.

as an example I created table in mysql database and save it as csv file. then I use it to put data and imported back to database.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

View Postmenukadevinda, on 13 July 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:

you can save file to common forman that both support I mean database and excel.

as an example I created table in mysql database and save it as csv file. then I use it to put data and imported back to database.

Thanks for your reply. Already i created table in plsql database. my excel data's are import to that table.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

So, the answer is: don't. ;-)

You can use the import wizard to import an Excel file. There are some catches depending on which version of SQL Server you are using. For example, you may have to save in an older form of Excel to get it recognized. Also, if the spreadsheet is not properly formated similar to a .CSV file it can get pretty ugly.

You should be able to find the Import Wizard by right clicking on the database name in Management Studio and selecting "Import". It may be on a submenu, like "Tasks" or something; I can't remember off the top of my head.

Theoretically, you could use Jet to actually pull it in via T-SQL, but that method is "probably" not recommended.

BIDS should allow you to import from a spreadsheet into SQL server. I'm sure it does; I just can't remember how it's setup off the top of my head. This is probably the prefered method if you "must" accept it as an Excel file and need to do it on a regular basis.

You can also, of course, save the file in Excel to another format, such as .CSV which would probably be prefered if you're going to do this a whole lot. CSV is an established format where a spreadsheet can contain charts, graphs, macros, and may not be in anything resembling a normalized table.

Oops. I just noticed you mentioned PL-SQL, which means you're using Oracle - probably on a Unix box. I'm guessing the only way to do that, is like suggested and save it to a .CSV that can then be uploaded to the Unix server via FTP or something. I'm not really an Oracle guy, but that's what I would do.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 22 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1