3 Replies - 5087 Views - Last Post: 15 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Access questions

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

I have a project to design and build a database. I just want to clarify a few things before making a design though as to not waste time.

Can I get the field names of a table in an external access file through VBA as strings?

When I need to store some data for VBA only (user doesnt need to know about it), and don't want to use external files. Is it most appropriate to store that data in tables and read it using sql the next time i need that data. If so, is there a way to prevent this table from being altered/deleted. (I will separate by back and front end eventually anyway)

If I want users to be able to simultaneously edit the database (down to record level), is there anything I need to do? Or just place it in a networked folder?

Thanks

This post has been edited by Mylo: 13 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Access questions

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Access questions

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

You can capture field names and write them to another table. Why? What is it you are really trying to accomplish?

I have a split db. The backend is on network server. The frontend is copied to each user's C: root on their computer. Review this thread http://forums.aspfre...etc-324677.html

This post has been edited by June7: 14 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

Thanks june,

To clarify, I need one database to be able to import values from another database, however, they need need to be able to select which colomn from the other database that comes from. I want to put those column names from the other database into a drop down box to ensure there are no errors with the built sql statement.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Is it possible to set a link to table in the other db? Could then set combobox RowSource to the table and the RowSourceType to FieldList. Otherwise will need VBA code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1