10 Replies - 770 Views - Last Post: 19 July 2012 - 12:18 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

need some help starting up

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

first of all i've got no experience programming at all lol xD?

ok so my goal is to create a mmo rts through instalion or web based
think about a maffia game stronghold kingdoms style (got the whole plan in my head xD)
i am aware of how much i need too learn to achieve this but i'm rather stubborn
anyways looked at some threads and came to the conclusion i had some questions lol

1. do i choose browser based or through instalation.. (is this even possible in browser based game?)
2. how do i know what programming language i choose, what's easy or what works better with such type of games
3. is 3D a lot harder than 2D?

lol i guess thats it
if people can help me out... would be apreciated

im not english so sorry if somethings wrong xD

grtzz

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: need some help starting up

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: need some help starting up

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Before you go into thinking about all this implementation details stuff, I suggest you first take a step back and write down the game from your head onto paper.

Things to write about...

1) The game's story line (plot), characters etc
2) Game mechanics (how the game works). Is it turn based? Do characters level up? If so, how? How do fights work? Are there power ups for health?
3) How does a player win/lose? Define what it is to win the game. Save the long lost girlfriend? They achieve a certain level? Gain certain amount of points?
4) When will you know when your project is ready for beta testing?
5) How will you test it?

Once you write all this out and get an idea of how things will work (without having touched a single line of code) you will have a better idea of what you are going to need to learn and collect for resources.

Based on your game idea maybe a web project would just be too hard. Given limited programming experience, what can/cannot do in your project scope? If it is going to be daunting, can you simplify it?

Games of your scope there are often very advanced topics and not easily accomplished by someone with no programming experience. It is an ambitious project even for a professional programmer. Your best bet is to learn a programming language first (pick one you like and makes sense to you) and learn it to the best of your ability and then come back to the game idea. (Another good reason to write it down, so you won't forget it when you come back to it later).

Continue to hang out and read in the game programming forums here on DIC and you may pick up tips that will help you later as well.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 14 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

You must learn to program first.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:59 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 14 July 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Before you go into thinking about all this implementation details stuff, I suggest you first take a step back and write down the game from your head onto paper.

hmm might be a smart move lolz so i'll start with that ^^

View PostMartyr2, on 14 July 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Continue to hang out and read in the game programming forums here on DIC and you may pick up tips that will help you later as well.

:)

i certainly will ^^

View PostButchDean, on 14 July 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

just a plain old stupid comment ^^
everything excists out of simple to basic to more advanced works and so does this goal im talking about
i like to learn along te way..
start with simple (and if this is such a large undertaking there will be a lot of repetition(learning point*)),
basics after that (still massive repetition coupled up with trial and error(another learning point*))
and more advanced work ((this is where you guys fit in)again massive repetition with lots of trial and error(the biggest learning point*)

you should'nt be talking like that lol slogan says community learning,, you say BLA xD
its like you are telling me to forget why i actually came here lolz

i never said i'm going do this in a motnh or a year...

any ways im not trying to offend you just making a point xD
sorry if i do offend

grtzz
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

View Postprotobeatz, on 15 July 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

I'm be incredibly cautious of throwing away his advice. For one he's a selected mentor here. 2ndly he has experience writing games.

To be honest, I've yet to see anyone that has created a topic like your (we get at about 10 or so a month) & have them actually make anything of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Thank you, no2pencil. This person is another one who will learn the hard way. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

View Postprotobeatz, on 14 July 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

1. do i choose browser based or through instalation.. (is this even possible in browser based game?)
2. how do i know what programming language i choose, what's easy or what works better with such type of games
3. is 3D a lot harder than 2D?

1. I haven't done any browser games, but in general that's going to not perform as well as a compiled executable game. But hardware is becoming more powerful, and you may see more 3D in browsers at some point. And HTML5 is supposed to make browser games a lot more powerful though I haven't explored that.

2. Personally, my preference is XNA with C#, but it depends on what you're doing. XNA doesn't do browswer games, for instance.

3. Yes. 3D is a lot harder than 2D. 2D is tough, don't get me wrong, but 3D adds an entire dimension of new problems. Just as an example, you can probably grab a pencil and a flatbed scanner and draw sprites to represent your characters in 2D. In 3D, you're going to have to sculpt a 3D model using basically the same skills as an actual sculpter but digitally. THEN you're going to have to create a flat picture that will be wrapped around your model. You're going to have to paint that picture while it's flat and THEN wrap it around the model so that the model is properly painted. And that just gives you a non-annimated model that won't even move. You still have to rig the model (which is kind of like setting up strings to manipulate a puppet with but much harder. And then you have to annimate the model to give it an annimation for every move it will make in the game. That's just one of thousands of ways that 3D is tougher.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

View Postprotobeatz, on 15 July 2012 - 03:59 AM, said:

(...)

You think the advice from one of the top contributors to the Game Programming forum is a stupid comment?

Maybe you need to think about this a little more and realise that it's your question, if anything, that's stupid. That, and your attitude towards the help you're being given, simply because it isn't what you thought you were going to hear.

protobeatz said:

i like to learn along te way..

Tough! It's like asking how to write a story, and being told you need to learn to write first. You're asking how to make a game, and the fact is you need to be able to program to program a game.

Look at the other threads where people have asked essentially the same question.
Or, look at the threads pinned in this forum http://www.dreaminco...ing-start-here/ and http://www.dreaminco...rogramming-faq/ for example.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

Uhm... Piece of advice on getting started in game development:

Put the mmo rts on the shelf for a year or two. Go write a pong or breakout clone. Or pacman. Or Tetris. You get the point. Then come up with your own idea for a small game, and make that. Then another one, and another. Go to game jams, meet people, learn stuff. Then you can start considering larger projects.

You say you know that it's gonna be hard and take a long time, so why don't you forget about the details for now, and just concentrate on learning a lot of stuff?

To give you some idea where this advice is coming from, I've released, what... 3 or 4 small browser games, and I'm just now starting to think of making a small multiplayer game. I teach game development at a summer school for high school students, and I've programmed for about 4 years. I wouldn't say I'm a pro, far from it, but I'm not completely new to making games either.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

. Go write a pong or breakout clone. Or pacman. Or Tetris. You get the point.

Quite frankly that would be a good final goal. I think that you should start with mobile development. And forget mmo's think more Tap the button to win! games

This post has been edited by slehmann101: 19 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

View Postslehmann101, on 19 July 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

Quite frankly that would be a good final goal.

Aw, that's a bit depressing, actually... Pong clones as your final goal? Nawp, get some practice, but keep dreaming, you can make much cooler stuff on your own. All you need is practice! Pong is still a fine starting point, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1