Text Based RPG Project

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 2021 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Text Based RPG Project

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hello everyone here in Dream.In.Code! I'm back for a rather awesome question! Could anyone please team up with me in making a Text-Based RPG in Java (NetBeans)? I'm pretty bad at Java, as C++ is my primary language, but Code::Blocks just stopped working all of the sudden, so I guess Java will be fine. Actually, this is why I need a partner or two, as I have some awesome ideas that need some implementing! Don't think of it as voluntary freelancing, think of it as an opportunity to meet someone new, and work with him in a fun programming project! I know this topic is rather odd, but it really would help me a lot! If you don't wish to join me, then can you please give me some hints to get started? Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Text Based RPG Project

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Text Based RPG Project

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

I can see that this post doesn't seem to be that interesting, as it's been alive for more than 10 minutes and still no one has replied :(
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

Pro tip - don't be that guy. It's a message board of a ton of people from across the globe.. people will answer if and when they choose.. so chillax.

Side note - moving this from Java to 'post a job'.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Oops, sorry, didn't know there was such a forum. I'm still new here ^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

No harm done - just a minor correction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hey samkid,

Could you maybe tell us a bit more about yourself and your programming experience, like projects you have done, and how long you've been programming so far and so on?

Also, what do you intend to do with the game once it's completed? Sell it, give it away for free? (and if so, under what kind of license?)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

I'll go ahead and post a bit about myself in the Introduce Yourself forum!

As for the game, I intend to give it away for free. I don't program for money, you see, even if I'm going to end up freelancing (which is highly unlikely at this point, due to my lack of programming skills in languages besides Basic and C++).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

When you complete your introduce yourself thread, please give us a link in this thread to the other tread, since not everybody checks that part of the forums, you know :)

And since you intend to give away the game for free, could you maybe divulge a bit more about the game itself, like game mechanics you had in mind, story and so on?
How far has the actual development of this game proceeded so far? Is it still in the planning phase, or do you maybe have an alpha/beta version?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

The game will take place in the modern fantasy times. I'm assuming that most people know what the fantasy times are, but notice I said the word "modern"... this basicly means that there will be guns in the game as well, but not like todays firearms. Instead, more like pirate pistols or explorer rifles. No automatics here :)

Please, feel free to join me! I'm sure that we'll make an awesome team together!

P.S. I really don't have much to say about myself, which is why i haven't posted anything in the Introduce Yourself forum... yet...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Is this going to be a roguelike game, like the one you talked about here?

I love me some roguelikes (although i am horribly bad at them...)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

It wasn't at first, but it might as well be, I mean, it's more tactical that way. I guess I should look for the Java roguelike tutorials asap :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

I'm pretty bad at Java, as C++ is my primary language, but Code::Blocks just stopped working all of the sudden, so I guess Java will be fine. Actually, this is why I need a partner or two, as I have some awesome ideas that need some implementing! Don't think of it as voluntary freelancing, think of it as an opportunity to meet someone new, and work with him in a fun programming project!

I don't mean to be rude, but if you don't know the language you are working in, and you aren't a great programmer, then don't bite off such a big project. You're setting yourself up for failure. Pick something more your skill level and challenge yourself, but reasonably so. Better to learn a little and accomplish something than to bite off something too big and get overwhelmed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

I agree with you. Maybe I should choose another language, like C++. I'm pretty skilled with that language, and if you saw my other post "Ryuzaki (C++ VPP)", then you would know that I finally got Code::Blocks to work again :)

But I can't seem to think that far outside the box. A C++ tutorial on basic roguelike development would most likely get me on the right track.

Oh, btw, you weren't being rude at all. It was only helpful advice ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

We have both C++ and Game Programming tutorials sections. However, I doubt there is something to guide you through exactly what you want. Part of the process is decomposing the problem and putting together what you need.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

I'm putting this project on hold, as my primary focus is my other game, Ryuzaki (you can view my post here).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +