in need of portfolio ideas!

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 5872 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2013 - 12:29 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

in need of portfolio ideas!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hi, i am an intermediate c# programmer in need of portfolio ideas! just to get the ball rolling. I am looking to possibly start landing a few freelance jobs on the side, and could use any advice given! please and thank you.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: in need of portfolio ideas!

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: in need of portfolio ideas!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

Your portfolio should have the things you've written.

Anyone that can't find ideas for programs to be written is going through life with their eyes closed. I can't walk into an insurance agent or Mom & Pop store without hearing someone say "Sorry, this damned software is slow/acting up." Everyplace I go I see a need for better software that does more for the user. Just look around.

There are so many different areas of coding that I don't think we can help you. You should build software in areas that interests you. Are you wanting to just make GUI components that other coders use.... hardware interface & control... robotics... seismic sensor charting... automotive... animation... photo library management...

You're the only one that knows what you like and what your skills will let you make.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

Agreed. It's YOUR portfolio. But you could always look at other programmers' portfolios and see what they've done. I have seen a lot of Notepad enhancements in portfolios... There might even be a tutorial on this very site to get you started. Hint hint.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

To me writing notepad enhancements: dime a dozen. Write a multiline TextBox from scratch: note worthy. Write a multiline RichTextBox from scratch that handles pictures, and text: impressive! Automatic hire!*

*Assuming their indent style doesn't suck.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 15 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 15 July 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

Anyone that can't find ideas for programs to be written is going through life with their eyes closed. I can't walk into an insurance agent or Mom & Pop store without hearing someone say "Sorry, this damned software is slow/acting up." Everyplace I go I see a need for better software that does more for the user. Just look around.

There are so many different areas of coding that I don't think we can help you. You should build software in areas that interests you. Are you wanting to just make GUI components that other coders use.... hardware interface & control... robotics... seismic sensor charting... automotive... animation... photo library management...

You're the only one that knows what you like and what your skills will let you make.

You know, I hadn't really thought of it that way! I was thinking, what could I make to help market myself? Or what would impress future employers..? But i guess your right at the end of the day, my portfolio needs to reflect my own creativity and interests. Thanks a ton! I think I'll start with my instant messenger program, and maybe try and make a few of the games i started at least playable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

I*

View Postfoxo9tales, on 15 July 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 15 July 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

You know, I hadn't really thought of it that way! I was thinking, what could I make to help market myself? Or what would impress future employers..? But i guess your right at the end of the day, my portfolio needs to reflect my own creativity and interests. Thanks a ton! I think I'll start with my instant messenger program, and maybe try and make a few of the games i started at least playable.

Thanks again!

Any other tips?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

What's the point in reviving a year old thread? Closing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1