8 Replies - 5559 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2012 - 06:42 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

unix shell scripting vs linux shell scripting?

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

I was thinking of installing and learning different operating systems .... so i am choosing unix freeBsd or openBSD or Solaris ... well it is very difficult to choose from since there are so many versions of Unix ... then theres Linux .... well my main goal is to study shell scripting so i want to know how different is unix shell scripting to linux shell scripting? and please if you can advice me on Operating System .. which one should i choose? i want to study shell scripting and mainly want to operate the os in text mode and yes i am beginner to unix but please don't consider that ... apart from my main goal i think there will be a lot explore so please suggest me what operating system in Unix should i go with?

Many thanks in advance

cheers

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: unix shell scripting vs linux shell scripting?

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: unix shell scripting vs linux shell scripting?

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

The difference isn't the OS, it would be the specific shell, be it bash, korn, borne, or C shell.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

Which Unix should you use? Well, that depends on what matters to you. There are people with very strong inherent prejudices, and there are also occasionally good reasons to prefer one flavor of linux or unix over some other.
For the most part the noticeable differences are minor and annoying and not ones that will plague you in learning shell scripting. As secondarypencil says, it's more about the shell than the OS. The differences between OS's tend to be in things like where certain system files live and stuff like whether they use upstart or init or whatever to get everything up and running. Actual day-to-day operations will pretty much work the same on all systems, and where they differ, you just learn how the next thing works, so it's not really a big deal.

So go ahead and use whatever you like. Go with Ubuntu if you can't think of any reason to use anything else, if only because it's the most popular distro and you'll be familiar with the machines your linux-using friends bring to you.

The important question is, what's your toolkit? bash is always a good choice, it's on everything. perl is a good one to have in your bag, if you want to be beardy and mysterious. If you want serious juju points, learn awk. People won't fuck with you if you can do awk magick - they'll figure you've got the Black Arts, and you can call up demons from the vasty deep or something. It's pretty useless if you know perl, but it still impresses the shit out of people.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

When it comes to Linux vs Unix scripting, there can be no difference depending on the *nix you go with. In general, Linux has more GNU. However, most of the open source BSD will have that as well. The only time you'll be walled in is the older proprietary stuff, Solaris, HP-UX, etc.

I'd take the Linux you're comfortable in and just use that. For extra realism, make sure /bin/sh actually maps to Bourne and not bash.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 14 July 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

Which Unix should you use? Well, that depends on what matters to you. There are people with very strong inherent prejudices, and there are also occasionally good reasons to prefer one flavor of linux or unix over some other.
For the most part the noticeable differences are minor and annoying and not ones that will plague you in learning shell scripting. As secondarypencil says, it's more about the shell than the OS. The differences between OS's tend to be in things like where certain system files live and stuff like whether they use upstart or init or whatever to get everything up and running. Actual day-to-day operations will pretty much work the same on all systems, and where they differ, you just learn how the next thing works, so it's not really a big deal.

So go ahead and use whatever you like. Go with Ubuntu if you can't think of any reason to use anything else, if only because it's the most popular distro and you'll be familiar with the machines your linux-using friends bring to you.

The important question is, what's your toolkit? bash is always a good choice, it's on everything. perl is a good one to have in your bag, if you want to be beardy and mysterious. If you want serious juju points, learn awk. People won't fuck with you if you can do awk magick - they'll figure you've got the Black Arts, and you can call up demons from the vasty deep or something. It's pretty useless if you know perl, but it still impresses the shit out of people.

hey jon

well honestly right now only thing that matters to me is that " in depth knowledge of unix/linux os" why? because i would like to be able to in such position so that i can modify the source code. and yea i was thinking of learning perl once i decide what os to go with? i think i will take your advice and go with ubuntu

and the toolkit? i will go with bash and will do perl as well. and i didn't knew about awk going to look into it ,,,,,

well thanks for your advice and time it certainly has cleared things up.

View Postbaavgai, on 15 July 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

When it comes to Linux vs Unix scripting, there can be no difference depending on the *nix you go with. In general, Linux has more GNU. However, most of the open source BSD will have that as well. The only time you'll be walled in is the older proprietary stuff, Solaris, HP-UX, etc.

I'd take the Linux you're comfortable in and just use that. For extra realism, make sure /bin/sh actually maps to Bourne and not bash.

hey baavgai

yea i guess things are clear now. WELL GNU it self is an OS as wikipedia says forgive me if i am wrong but what do you mean by "Linus has more GNU"?

thanks for your time
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 14 July 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

The difference isn't the OS, it would be the specific shell, be it bash, korn, borne, or C shell.

hey there,

thanks for your reply

cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

GNU is not an OS. GNU is a collection of useful tools that can be combined to make an OS. You might think of it as being a sort of standard library for operating systems. As long as your OS is arranged in a UNIX-like fashion, you can use bundles of functionally d from GNU to do things like list the files in a directory or search in a collection of files for a particular regex.

These days, GNU is a license more than anything else, it's mostly a way of releasing software so others can use it freely.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

View Postmanu.manjot, on 15 July 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

but what do you mean by "Linus has more GNU"?

First, a bit about Unix. The OS has two distinct pieces, the kernel and the programs. The kernel is the lowest level, it talks to devices and forms the core of the OS. However, to really be useful the OS needs support programs that actually allow you to do work. These programs are considered fundamental to the OS.

Many moons ago, GNU wanted to make it's very own unix clone. The kernel is a big challenge, but the support programs can be written immediately, after you've made assumptions about the OS. As a result, The GNU Project produced pretty much all of those core programs before even coming close to a working kernel.

Linux, which technically is just the kernel, comes along. Where do all those support programs come from? Mostly GNU. Now, because GNU is all open source, many *nix flavors simply port them over as a matter of course; usually the programs they didn't already have.

So, Linux has more GNU. However, *nix may also have GNU.

Now, GNU, after a couple of decades, did produce a kernel. But there was already Linux, so no one really cared.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

This, of course, is why some people, mostly having the initials "rms", would want you to refer to the resulting entity as "GNU/Linux".
My compromise suggestion of "Lignux" has not yet ben taken up, for reasons which remain obscure to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1