• +
  • Last »

89 Replies - 4201 Views - Last Post: 15 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Direction of Dream.In.Code

Post icon  Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

I occasionally hear that the number of beginner questions in the forums becomes tedious. Handling the beginner questions and members that don't quite understand how we operate can get tiresome after a while.

Dream.In.Code has always been a learning community, but I think one thing we often lack is more advanced topics and discussions. This would include discussion of emerging technologies, advanced programming techniques, concepts, and languages.

What I'm looking for are ideas on how to still cater to our student programmers and beginners, but also attract and keep more advanced programmers or "experts".

I'm honestly not interested in creating separate forums for "beginner" and "advanced", but would be interested in re-organizing, renaming, changing wording, featuring certain content, adding/removing features/forums (within reason) and any other ideas you have.

Please share your thoughts with the community. This is your site and I want to make sure you're happy and feel like this is a place where you can continue to learn and grow as a programmer.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Direction of Dream.In.Code

• Sexy DIC God
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Direction of Dream.In.Code

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

When creating a new thread, you should have a combo box to select the skill of your question, like:

Select question skill....
-------------
1) Newbie
2) Beginner
3) Advanced
4) Expert

The selection option should appear in the topic list and you could filter, example, level 3 and 4 questions to avoid really noob questions. That way you would answer "real" questions!

This post has been edited by alpha02: 31 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:03 PM

I may be able to do something like that using the "Description" field, changing it to a drop down menu. I hate to modify the forums to much because it makes upgrading difficult. But doing something like that may be an option.

Keep em' coming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:21 PM

i like the idea, but most newb members barely fill out their profile as it is, let alone follow the rules for simple things.

Perhaps we should have a forum which allows users to introduce complex topics. This could allow users to collaborate on complex topics, thus even teaching some experts.

I do find the beginner questions repetitive sometimes, but other times it's nice to know you've made an impact on a new coder, and helped them understand a topic. I suppose it's the "plez gives me code for (topic here)" questions that really piss me off, lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• system("revolution");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

I occasionally hear that the number of beginner questions in the forums becomes tedious. Handling the beginner questions and members that don't quite understand how we operate can get tiresome after a while.

I'm with alpha02 about the question skill, I think it's a good idea.

About attracting more advanced programmers: I think a project is needed, any kind for starters. Now I'm not very long in this place and I don't know if something like that happened before, but I think that it's too bad that programmers that have decades in programming experience to spend their spare time in the community with posts like:
"do the homework for me..."
I think some sort of project would be a good example for the others to see how experienced programmers work together.
And not just experienced ones but everyone who has the time and the will to do something. That way I believe a more advanced topics would be reached and a more advanced programmers would come.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

View PostPennyBoki, on 31 May, 2007 - 04:36 PM, said:

I'm with alpha02 about the question skill, I think it's a good idea.

About attracting more advanced programmers: I think a project is needed, any kind for starters. Now I'm not very long in this place and I don't know if something like that happened before, but I think that it's too bad that programmers that have decades in programming experience to spend their spare time in the community with posts like:
"do the homework for me..."
I think some sort of project would be a good example for the others to see how experienced programmers work together.
And not just experienced ones but everyone who has the time and the will to do something. That way I believe a more advanced topics would be reached and a more advanced programmers would come.

Good ideas PennyBoki. Regarding the "do the homework for me..." type questions. Do you feel we should be more strict with those types of questions and just lock them instead of providing the help. A more "if you can't read the rules, you don't get helped" attitude?

Regarding the project. Do you have any suggestions? Should we challenge users to accomplish a project in a certain language. Like a "Challenge" forum where users can post challenges and other users can collaborate and share ideas... in any language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sexy DIC God
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

Personnaly I think a Challenges forum would be a great idea. You could award some kudos if you achieve a challenge successfully and be more strict with "do my homework". Up to you now...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

What about dividing the .NET forum up in to C#, VB.NET, etc. ??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• system("revolution");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

Regarding the "do the homework for me..." type questions.
I think that a member's first post must be in the Introduce Yourself forum in which at the end of hers/his intro there will be a statement by them which would say: "I've read(understood) the programming rules and I'm ready to post a question" or something like that. That way if they haven't read them then they would have to lie which they will be aware of and wouldn't expect much help now would they?

Now about the project, I don't have anything specific, but I do like the idea for users to accomplish a project in a certain language in which users would think openly(thoughts on posts) and do some brainstorming.

This post has been edited by PennyBoki: 31 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sexy DIC God
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

View PostPennyBoki, on 31 May, 2007 - 06:55 PM, said:

I think that a member's first post must be in the Introduce Yourself forum in which at the end of hers/his intro there will be a statement by them which would say: "I've read(understood) the programming rules and I'm ready to post a question" or something like that.

Agreed. This will prevent some crap users joining just to post a question and make us do their homework and then piss off everyone before going away.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

View PostPennyBoki, on 31 May, 2007 - 04:55 PM, said:

I think that a member's first post must be in the Introduce Yourself forum in which at the end of hers/his intro there will be a statement by them which would say: "I've read(understood) the programming rules and I'm ready to post a question" or something like that. That way if they haven't read them then they would have to lie which they will be aware of and wouldn't expect much help now would they?

They have to agree to terms and conditions when they register. Right now these don't say much. I may change these to be short, and very clear about homework help and how to post properly.

I wouldn't require someone to introduce themselves, but new members are encouraged to do so. We have a hard enough time getting people to post in the right forum let alone requiring them to introduce themselves, then post their question.

I think I'll work on changing the first screen users see before registering.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• system("revolution");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

View Postalpha02, on 31 May, 2007 - 04:07 PM, said:

View PostPennyBoki, on 31 May, 2007 - 06:55 PM, said:

I think that a member's first post must be in the Introduce Yourself forum in which at the end of hers/his intro there will be a statement by them which would say: "I've read(understood) the programming rules and I'm ready to post a question" or something like that.

Agreed. This will prevent some crap users joining just to post a question and make us do their homework and then piss off everyone before going away.

Hopefully :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• system("revolution");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

They have to agree to terms and conditions when they register.

Was that a checkbox that you click and move on?
I know that I agreed and after couple of posts I've read the rules.
I think they should type for themselves not check.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:31 PM

Ok, I've updated the registration page. You can see it here: http://www.dreaminco...=PleaseRegister

We can be more strict with homework help questions. If a user doesn't follow the rules, we can just lock the thread. It's a fine balance between being welcoming, and being rude, but I think we can accomplish that. I'll start a dialogue with our moderating team to discuss the best way to approach handling homework questions that don't quite follow the rules.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:44 PM

I also updated the post background to better reflect our homework policy. This may discourage some of the "do my homework" posts.

Posted Image

(You may have to ctrl-refresh, it should say "We will not do your homework!")
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »