3 Replies - 880 Views - Last Post: 21 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What languages should I research and learn more on?

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'm bound to graduate college by March 2013, and I'm still in the process of learning languages now. I know a little of C++, Javascript, PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, CMS (WordPress). But I want to learn more about these languages and more about others. I just need to know which languages are in demand, and it's difficulty level.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What languages should I research and learn more on?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What languages should I research and learn more on?

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

You can get this kind of information easily from a Google search. TIOBE is the standard for this kind of information. As a recent graduate, you should know at least one OO language, one web language, SQL, and some markup, so you're looking OK to me. Most people would agree that you should use whatever language is best for the job or that is required for the job. That may seem hard to do, but it's really not. The key is to put yourself in a situation where you have to learn it and apply it to a problem. Online courses are great for doing this, since your not just fiddling around with the language, but actually using it in a directed manner.

Also remember that desired skills can vary widely based on location.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 15 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

Programming is not about knowing languages - though learning languages is useful. Programming is about looking at problems and seeing solutions. Preferably, useful solutions that can be deployed in reasonable time, and for reasonable cost, which will be reasonably reliable.

I suggest you think in terms of "what sorts of problems do I want to solve" and then find the tools that solve those problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

Whenever somebody asks a question like this, I always think of that old phrase: "Jack of all trades, master of f**k all."

Basically just learn the languages you need to learn, and work toward mastering them. Learning as many languages as you can won't really get you anywhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1