4 Replies - 317 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Ideas on how to issue payments?

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hey guys, I need some help on a project that I'm currently developing. Basically my problem is that I need a way to issue a payment back to a user of the site when a project that they have created reaches a certain percentage. This should be done through paypal or some other way. I just don't really know how I'm going to automate it, so that when it reaches it's target, it issues a payment to the customer :S

Thanks guys.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ideas on how to issue payments?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ideas on how to issue payments?

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

How is the percentage calculated? It is just a matter of keeping track of the percentage right? Let's assume that we keep track of the percentage based on points. A project is worth 100 points. Each time they make an edit to the project, they earn 2 points. So after 50 edits the project is considered done. (Of course you can figure out how this percentage is calculated).

Each time an edit is made on the system, you add 2 points to a running total for the user. This total can be kept via a database for the user's project or whatever. After this credit you would then quickly evaluate the current point total divided by the total points to create the percentage complete. If this percentage is above some "threshold" (be it something like 50%) then you would trigger your cash out.... the cash out could be a percentage of their total value for the project. So after 50% you pay the user 50% of their money. Then the total value of the project will be cut in half.

Formulas...

(Num of Edits * points per edit) / Total points for project = Percentage of project completed.

Percentage of project completed >= project threshold for payout = trigger payout

Triggered payout percentage * Total value of project = amount paid to user

So to run through this real quick, assuming 100 points for a 2000 dollar project where each edit is worth 2 points and the threshold for payout is 50% and they have so far made 26 edits...

(26 * 2) = 52 of a total 100 = 52%

52% >= 50% = Payout triggered for 50% of $2000 = $1000 for user.

Adjust project to now be worth only $1000 and total points is 50 where the user has 2% completed.

Now this is just me thinking off the top of my head but I hope you follow where I am going here. Of course you will have to make up your scheme but the trick is how to determine their percentage of completion. This can be via fixed milestones (like I do with points here) or arbitrary milestones (when they complete the testing phase... even if testing was 53% of the project).

Hope this rambling helps. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 15 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

I wasn't actually looking for help on the scheme, I need help automating payments to customers on reaching a certain percentage :P Sorry for that confusion there :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Uhhh ok...

https://cms.paypal.c...fundTransaction

???

This is for paypal. If the user doesn't have some kind of electronic account that you can credit then all you are left with is sending them a check... if they provide their mailing details so you can mail it to them.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 16 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

Yeh, it's just paypal that I'm looking for at the moment. Thanks for the link, I didn't realise paypal actually had an API :D Awesome. Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1