9 Replies - 341 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

PC DUO Remote Control

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hey all. I use a program called PC Duo Remote Control from Vector Networks. However, the version/license I have are apparently not compatible with Windows 7. They have a newer version that does work with Windows 7, but I really don't care to shell out for another license and they don't offer upgrades.

Is anyone familiar with this program, and if so, do you have any alternatives?

In case your wondering, I recently began clearing everything off my Windows XP machine and started using it as a file server. The XP machine is in my basement, and I want to be able to control it remotely. The old version works on Windows XP just fine, but I need to be able to control it from the Windows 7 machines upstairs, and the compatibility options don't work.

I figured I would ask to see if anyone knew of a free alternative. If not, I guess I'll just need to buy a new license.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PC DUO Remote Control

#2 bingy  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PC DUO Remote Control

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

TeamViewer
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

I've been looking at that one. Do you have any experience with it?

Edit: Let me be more specific. It works on both WindowsXP and Windows7? Will I be able to access the XP machine from the Windows7 machine without having the XP machine "Allow" connections?

I want to be able to just grab control of the XP machine whenever I need to. Needing to allow the connection everytime is a counterpoint.

This post has been edited by Celerian: 16 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

What's wrong with just remoting into XP using the standard 'remote desktop connection' installed in windows?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

You know, I'm not sure if there is a real good reason against it. I just got used to using the added features with PC Duo like being able to view what's going on the computer, transferring files easily (though I suppose that use isn't necessary since its a networked file server).

The one I really liked was being able to power on a system remotely, but until I try it out using Wireless systems, I'm not sure that feature would even work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 bingy  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

I use teamviewer all the time at work and at home to remote to my computers and client computers
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

What concerned me about TeamViewer was that it looks like I needs a PartnerID and permission from the other computer to make the connection. With PC Duo, I could simply select the system I wanted to connect to from my master station, and take control of the client.

Edit: Going to give it a shot. I saw something about setting up unattended access.

This post has been edited by Celerian: 16 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

There is a Linux version of Team Viewer, & it connects to Windows clients without issue (from experience). So I doubt there is an Xp to 7 compatibility issue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 bingy  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

you will want to setup a username and password when you open the program. To do this, click on computers and contacts and then click the link to sign up. This is a free service also. Once this is done, all you have to do is set up unattended access on each machine and you can double click on each computer and connect to it. When you disconnect, you will see messages that you must click close on but they are not ads at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

I think this will work for what I need without too much hassle. I'm used to the ease of use that comes with PC Duo, but it looks like this might even have more capabilities once I really delve into the options. Thanks for the help guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1