2 Replies - 496 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2012 - 03:49 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

C++ Rougelike Help

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Sorry for asking this question so many times, it's just that I haven't gotten any real answers...

Basicly, I want to make a roguelike. The languages I prefer are Java, C++, or Python. However, I don't know how to get started. I'm most comfortable with C++, btw.

If you want me to stop asking this question, feel free to say so and I will. It wouldn't help me any though :(

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C++ Rougelike Help

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++ Rougelike Help

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

First off man - you are all over the board.

Languages you pump the VB..NET, then python.. c++ and java make a name drop as well. Then you are on and on about the project to declare its on hold status for something else... then that goes.. somewhere.. and now you are back!

So chill... chllax even.. and get some focus.

Next.. if this is a console game my advice stands - figure out how to clear and print to the console screen.. then next think about the game.. it's a top down map, right? Just X and Y.. so figure out how to translate an (x,y) to the console screen.

Then basic game design.. a timer for all the events to happen (starting off it might just be more easy to trigger it all off a user input)... then you may want to graduate to a timer.

There are plenty of tutorials here, and elsewhere, that explain this to you.. granted it's not the super specific thing *YOU* want to do, but the information is there for you to extrapolate and apply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: C++ Rougelike Help

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Thank you greatly, I think what you told me can get me started ^_^

But seriously, thank you! I'll be back to tell you how it goes :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1