2 Replies - 1387 Views - Last Post: 18 July 2012 - 02:19 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for database synchronization solution

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

We currently have an application that is in serious need of a re-write. The purpose of this application is allow our sales reps to have access to customer data while they are in the field (out of the office). To make the customer's data available while not connected to the office network, the application will replicate the data from the database into a local database on the user's machine. The sales rep can add comments and update information as needed while working in the field. When the rep returns to the office, they connect to the network and replicate again to push their changes to the official database.

For some of you I'm sure this is really standard stuff, but the process is new to me and I've been tasked with rewriting the application.

The original application was written in Delphi and uses Oracle Lite for the database replication. More than likely, we will be developing the new application in C#. I've been doing a little research on replacements for the Oracle Lite engine because it appears that the technology is no longer in development. I am currently looking at Microsoft's Sync Framework, but was curious if anyone out there had any suggestions on other frameworks/technologies that would work for this process.

Our company would obviously like to keep the cost down, but we aren't above paying for something if it fits our needs. I greatly appreciate any input that you might have.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Looking for database synchronization solution

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for database synchronization solution

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:03 AM

I would think it wouldn't be -too- much of a task to create a sync application yourself. Basically, every time the client connects to the network, it prepares a large batch of data and ships that to the server, the server would then check if the changes given (which would contain timestamps of each change) are newer than other given changes to avoid old data being overwritten over newer data.

Sending the data to each client shouldn't be too much of a problem, do some kind of check for what data needs to be given to the client to avoid sending the entire database over every time.

I've never actually done this myself but the concept does not strike me to as too beyond the realms of possibility.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Looking for database synchronization solution

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

If you are looking for an already created software solution, consider SymmetricDS.

SymmetricDS is open source software for multi-master database replication[...]. It supports multiple subscribers with one direction or bi-directional asynchronous data replication. It uses web and database technologies to replicate tables between relational databases, in near real time if desired. The software was designed to scale for a large number of databases, work across low-bandwidth connections, and withstand periods of network outage.

- www.JumpMind.com

SymmetricDS will allow an initial load of the database to the sales rep, and transmit changes going forward. In a bi-directional scenario, both changes made by the sales rep and the master database would be queued up for synchronization until the sales rep gets back into the office. There is also support for conflict resolution in the case two sales reps modify the same entry.

SymmetricDS comes in two flavors, Open Source and Pro. The open source version will do everything you desire for free. The professional version comes with support and a GUI to quickly configure and manage your synchronization needs. Pro also includes Android support. If your sales reps are mobile and carry android devices this could be valuable.

Open Source: www.SymmetricDS.org
Pro Version: www.JumpMind.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1