2 Replies - 830 Views - Last Post: 23 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

responsive web design and server-side language

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

Hai everyone,

i want to ask a question, can we build the website that using server-side language ASP, PHP that combine with responsive web design? can u give some advice or tips to build the responsive web design?

Thank you

from tokei

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 18 July 2012 - 04:08 AM
Reason for edit:: "Respomsive"

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: responsive web design and server-side language

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: responsive web design and server-side language

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:54 AM

The two are mutually exclusive, so yes you can of course mix them.

Responsive Web Design is nothing than a commercially-coined term by some idiotic book authors preying on idiotic developers who don't know how to write for the internet properly. It revolves primarily around the mix of the CSS2 @media Rule, and the CSS3 @media query extension, for example @media screen and (max-width: 768px) { /* rules */ }. A more effective term would be 'adaptive web design' (coined in 2010 by Opera!).

I believe the book bangs on more for designers and considerations they should take, primarily involving that you should design small first, then expand up to different screen sizes.

Essentially, if you know how CSS (specifically the @media queries) works, then it's very simple to do. Just provide your main stylesheet, and scale up/down based on that using min-width/max-width in your queries to provide alternate styling that fits the screen. You need to cater for at least desktop, tablet, and mobile. Possibly even widescreen, if you're so inclined.

As a quick guideline, even though you can't use the media attribute on a <link ../> element for a query (only a rule), you should still separate out your styles for each screen width. You can do it simply by importing all of your stylesheets, but wrap each in a @media query.

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 18 July 2012 - 04:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: responsive web design and server-side language

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

View Posttokei, on 18 July 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

Hai everyone,

i want to ask a question, can we build the website that using server-side language ASP, PHP that combine with responsive web design? can u give some advice or tips to build the responsive web design?

Thank you

from tokei

Yes, why not? Server-side language like ASP, and PHP are widely used today for web application and website development.

Some of the tips about responsive web design are listed below:

- Before writing any markup, wire frame your desktop and small-screen version
- Make use of position absolute, relative-absolute and fixed
- Be familiar with fluid layouts
- Decide important content for small screen
- Make use of big buttons
- For the width of your elements, use min-width over max-width
- Choose the correct video format for your device
- Choose the most appropriate size image if possible
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -