• +

35 Replies - 1485 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2012 - 05:41 AM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Toys that we play with...

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

I was flipping through the sweet (potentially) Portal 2 Lego collaboration over at PCMag and it got me thinking about where the hell all my Legos went off too.. why, now that I am an adult flushed with drinking money, why am I not off buying sets and blocks to rule the world with?

This train of thought led to what other toys are we all playing with? Case in point - my cube neighbor has a pile of buckey balls on his desk he messes with. I've thought about throwing down some cash on Pixelblocks, and definitely seen people with stupid big Transformers collections..

I figure most of use are creative folk so fess up and show off what toys you collect and play with!

Ball-joint articulated dolls? Gundam sets you go "pew-pew" with? Giant Erector sets? Maybe you stage scenes from Starwars on your dining room table with your box of figures? Perhaps you are into the vinyl toys and collect/decorate the munny? Maybe you like making, and collecting, Warhammer 40k scenery? I do know a few of you out there collect/make props for cosplay and cons... anything new in the prop shed?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Pro tip: don't search "toys for adults" at work.
PS: Yes, I am aware this can drift into the crazy end of the pool.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Toys that we play with...

#2 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Toys that we play with...

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

Buckyballs FTW. Best fidgeting money can buy.

Various physical-interlock puzzles are scattered around my desk. I'd really like to keep some padlocks and picks, but that might make security nervous.

Pro tip: your buckyballs will support a typical interlock puzzle nicely, so you can hang it from a shelf.

Pro tip #2. Don't eat the buckyballs. You could die and that would suck.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 18 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

POPULAR

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

this

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

This post has been edited by DarenR: 18 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

I'm a big fan of Bucky Balls myself. My brother and I used to have an enormous collection of Lego creations, though we ended up taking them apart and giving them away a few years ago.. I kind of regret doing that now..

Also, when I was in middle school, I was obsessed with some boat collection card thing.. You would buy a package a little thicker than the average deck of trading cards and would have pieces of a boat to assemble, and once you have an armada, can face off against someone else's armada. Each boat had their own durability, range, accuracy, etc. I got mad and ragequit that game after rolling crap time after time... Stupid dice... I'll try to find my collection and post it here.

Edit: This is what the game pieces look like:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sho Ke: 18 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Ah... I remember those boat packs! Was it a decent game? I dug what they were trying to do.. but meh..

I think it was Pirates, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

I am a minor hoarder of dice. The regular five polyhedrons.. (4, 5, 8, 10, 20), but also went in for a five sided and seven sided.

This also includes odd dice like Dragon Dice.

Posted Image

I also pop out my MECCG (middle-earth collectible card game) box now and then to shuffle a solo run.

Middle-earth Collectible Card Game (MECCG) is a collectible card game released by Iron Crown Enterprises in late 1995.
cite

I should go and see if I can complete that set off ebay.
Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

I can't really count this anymore, but I used to do tons of warhammer 40k scenery. I did a lot of one-off pieces and even a few diorama battle boards. The greatest thing about it was that it let me trade pieces that I literally made from garbage, glue, and toilet paper for the really expensive things that I wanted for my 40k (and eventually other) armies. I might have pics somewhere of some things, but not many, and I'd have to dig. If/when I do, I'll post a few. I'd be surprised if some of the pieces aren't still being used by game shops in the area I lived before I moved here, they were still in use- and by shops that hadn't existed when I left- last time I went back.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

@Choscura - I thought I smelled burning polystyrene around here! Ha. Yeah find pictures if you can. Man - electronics packaging was always the bomb for scenery! I also made some scenery for people back, back in the day... gotta trade up for that damn Eldar Walker and extra squad of harlequins!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

Haha, did you ever find the spray bottle trick? I got tired of polystyrene melting when I tried to base-coat it, and I was too cheap for house paint, so what I would end up doing was mixing glue and water and putting it in old windex bottles, and then doing very fast paper-mache type coverings by wrapping any exposed bits in toilet paper and spraying it down, and then for flat bits I'd smooth that down with a putty knife. It's one of those things I found in a model railway scenery book somewhere that nobody had ever seen or heard of in the gaming world, and so I had good looking pieces that I could do fast, paint well, and that still had flat parts that a model could stand on- without it looking like the flocked-over poo that was the standard at the time.

A quick google has also pulled up a local gamer's forum that I may possibly troll ask if they've run across any of the pieces I left behind. Not a garunteed way to find anything, but worth a shot, since some pieces especially were really solidly made (a 4x4 diorama board especially comes to mind... I made it on a 4x4 sheet of 3/4" chip board that I 'acquired' from a nearby construction site with the help of a skateboard as a makeshift trolley).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

Yeah those modular kidney bean shaped hills always made me laugh.

Nope - never really had a problem with acrylic melting it.. I would occasionally use news paper (or better yet - the free used car ad book with a more thin recycled paper in it) to cover up seams and add some texture. Though that papermache sounds like a solid idea... I do something similar for halloween but with latex on my skin.

I think my best moment was pulling off a pond of water piece with resin and waves. Yeah.. I was pimp shit.

Years later I was through DickBlick and saw craft-resin kits and thought about making my own rubber molds and mass producing some modular dungeon tiles... then I got distracted and wandered off.

If anyone wants to read the rest of this guy's example:
part 2
part 3
part 4
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#12 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

I find myself wanting toys but never buying them. I eventually lean towards every day office supplies and twisting them in unusual ways. Making the classic scorpions with staples and twisting paperclips into all sorts of really non useful, and eventually unrecognizable, things.

Speaking of that, I should make myself one of those foldable paper cups you can use for actually drinking water out of!

:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Making the classic scorpions with staples

Waaah? Pictures! I demand them!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Magic, The Gathering count? My friend got me playing that a little bit again.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Sure.. I haven't picked that game up in years.. I remember I was playing it with my buddies (oddly the nongeeks were the most rabid)... and I fundamentally couldn't win a free-for-all game and I wandered off.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +